YAMMA Pit Fighting Books Don Frye vs. Oleg Taktarov for April 11

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » YAMMA Pit Fighting Books Don Frye vs. Oleg Taktarov for April 11
juanez13
2/8/08 8:17:06PM
The upstart YAMMA Pit Fighting organization, which was recently founded by UFC creator Bob Meyrowitz, has booked a fight between UFC pioneers Don Frye (18-6-1) and Oleg “The Russian Bear” Taktarov (15-5-2).

According to Frye, the fight will take place at the organization’s inaguaral show, which is set for April 11 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, N.J.

“I hope (YAMMA) made the announcement because I just signed to fight Oleg Taktarov,” Frye said.

LINK
cowcatcher
2/8/08 8:21:37PM
WOW, oleg was my favorite in the early days of the ufc and i would get pissed seeing him lose even though at the time i didnt really know him. if this means hes making a serious comeback ill be stoked. gotta love frye, but oleg is the man.
Bemin
2/8/08 8:26:23PM
Interesting that they are going with a tournament format and (with shorter rounds and medical inspections) have it tentativly approved. I am hoping this could lead to a UFC tournament style event in the near future. If the UFC ever was to Have a Randy/Fedor fight (as unlikely as it would be) this would be the only way it would happen, much like Chuck going over to fight in a Pride tournament.

As for this Yamma ring and its moving surface, sounds too much like a American Gladiator's style gimmic to me.
cowcatcher
2/8/08 8:45:52PM
i really hope the moving surface gets axed, what are they going to do next fight over a shark tank?
Cobbs666
2/8/08 8:47:58PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i really hope the moving surface gets axed, what are they going to do next fight over a shark tank?

juanez13
2/8/08 8:50:28PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i'll 2nd that, this will damage MMA as being looked as legimate sport, this thing is a joke.
cowcatcher
2/8/08 8:51:09PM
if the fricken sharks had fricken lasers on their frickin heads i might bite though.
grappler0000
2/8/08 9:00:29PM

Posted by cowcatcher

if the sharks had fricken lasers on their frickin heads i might bite though.

They were actually going to do that, but unfortunately all they could find on short notice was some ill tempered bass.
cowcatcher
2/8/08 9:01:10PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cowcatcher

if the sharks had fricken lasers on their frickin heads i might bite though.

They were actually going to do that, but unfortunately all they could find on short notice was some ill tempered bass.

well played sir
kevietre
2/8/08 9:34:26PM
OLD SKOOL VS OLD SKOOL

Gotta give it to Frye on this one.

Im live in Jersey so if the undercard is good i'll check it out for the hell of it.
Kracker_Jap
2/8/08 10:11:51PM
Don Frye = true american bad ass

Bemin
2/8/08 11:14:45PM
YAMMA could save a lot of money, instead of building an elaborate moving floor, just give the ref a cattle prod. Things get boring in the clinch or on the ground, just snap them fighters in the ass a couple of times.
Gannon
2/8/08 11:31:54PM
I'm not really into old school fights. I was excited about them at the time, in my opinion todays fighters are better and todays fights are better. I hope they have some more relevant fights in mind.
Svartorm
2/9/08 2:53:17AM
I'm really interested to see how this mat works, as I can't imagine a mat that can move without screwing up the fighters. If you're backpedalling towards the edge of the mat and it moves you back to center, doesn't that move the other guy too? And if you're backing up and the mat moves in the opposite direction, would you trip? Just sounds weird.

As for the fight. I never bet against Don Frye. I don't care if hes fighting a brick wall, I will pick him to win via first round KO.
RMFG_187
2/9/08 3:02:25PM

Posted by kevietre

OLD SKOOL VS OLD SKOOL

old skool matchup, its gonna be great
RMFG_187
2/9/08 3:03:55PM
i give this fight to Oleg, Rnd 1 TKO, we all know this wont go the distance
Dragonscale
2/9/08 3:18:16PM
Who said it was a moving surface? Where was this confirmed?
Bemin
2/9/08 3:41:58PM
It hasn't been confirmed, its just speculation right now, but this is what Meyrowitz had to say about it.

From Sherdog News.

Details on aspects of "The YAMMA" fighting area were not released.

New Jersey State Athletic Control Board counsel Nick Lembo told Sherdog.com via e-mail that the regulatory body has "approved in concept" schematics and drawings of a fighting area, which, according to YPF, "will greatly alter the current basis of MMA by changing how the fight is fought and the strategy the fighters must use to win."

Said Lembo: "We have yet to see the actual fighting stage, and would have to see it in person" before signing off.

He declined to provide details on the design.

Acknowledging his biggest pet peeve regarding MMA stemmed from bouts stood by a referee, Meyrowitz told Sherdog.com the new fighting area will demand continuous action of competitors.

"One of the original things was to create fights as real as they possibly could be, and having a referee -- whatever great knowledge, whatever good thoughts he has -- stand them up still creates a problem for me," he said. "So this is a way I hope will resolve that."
Link

Not sure what they could do to avoid Lay'n'pray other than moving the surface when it happens. On Inside MMA this week they talked to Meyrowitz, but he didn't really say anything new about the acutal surface, but they did say they were gonig to have more on the surface on next Fridays show so hopefully we will learn more then if no one else breaks the news first.
Svartorm
2/9/08 6:11:28PM

Posted by RMFG_187

i give this fight to Oleg, Rnd 1 TKO, we all know this wont go the distance

What, is Oleg allowed to bring a 2x4 to the fight?
mrsmiley
2/9/08 9:26:12PM
The whole idea of how they plan to revolutionize the way fighters compete sounds very interesting,but Frye Vs Taktarov sounds good to me.I didn't think Frye had a fight left in him,but you can never count him,or his stache out.
Svartorm
2/9/08 9:37:48PM
Fyre just steamrolled a guy in 47 seconds on Friday, and if he'd been on the ball against James Thompson, he might have ended it in the first ten seconds.

Hes got a solid skill-set, and regardless of age, the last thing to go on a fighter is power, which hes got more than enough of. Oleg did well in his return fight against a pure wrestler, but he has a history of being on the receiving end of brutal knockouts. This isn't a good match for him.