YAMMA Pit fighting

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » YAMMA Pit fighting
JuggaloWarrior878
2/23/08 2:13:49AM
any1 else gettin excited about this. Don frye vs oleg taktarov is one of the masters matchups and i just saw on the sherdog forums they got Gary Goodrideg vs Butterbean as the second masters match, plus Wes Sims, Chris Guillen, and Travis Wiuff participating in the actual tournament. they got me interested.
Kpro
2/23/08 2:20:34AM
I haven't even looked into them yet really; are they keeping up the schtick about a moving floor or whatever, and if so how does it work?
JuggaloWarrior878
2/23/08 2:24:32AM
i didnt hear about a moving floor but they had bob meyrowitz on inside mma and he didnt want to give up any info on what the yamma is, but if it is a moving ring that sounds pretty lame.
Kpro
2/23/08 2:32:48AM
YPF is teasing a new fighting surface called “The YAMMA.“

”(It’s) an evolution of the traditional fighting ring that will greatly alter the current basis of MMA by changing how the fight is fought and the strategy the fighters must use to win,” the release stated. “This new surface has been specifically designed to keep the fighting more explosive and continuous. The YAMMA will change the face of the sport and will challenge the relevance of the fighters’ trademark tactics, as methods that were previously successful may be rendered useless with the new ring. This twist on an already successful sport will prove hugely popular with fighters and MMA audiences alike.

Could they possibly be talking about a moving surface? A cage that uses hydraulics to break stalemates on the ground? The organization is tight-lipped for now. However, YPF executives believe the novelty will help it penetrate the market.

SOURCE: LINK
Dragonscale
2/24/08 11:23:39AM
Extremely excited, they have my first ppv buy.

Oh, and for the surface... my official guess is it will be be like a Cylinder.

Imagine a glass turned on its side, and then it slowly rotates, so if anyone tries to "lay and pray" they slowly get rotated out of the position!

They had a wrestling surface much like that in the old Battle Dome show, and the fights were very entertaining to watch.

Thats my guess!
Salty
3/3/08 9:37:57AM
The only way im going to see any of this garbage is watching it on the internet after the event is over... sounds like a stupid idea, this guy just wants to make a quick buck.
Mayhem13
3/3/08 4:43:36PM
I think it will be either something actually like a pit where the crowd will have to look down into ...limiting the space fighters have...

or something more, bowl shaped....to keep fighters in the center of the ring....and not able to really use the "walls" to hold an opponent against
pv3Hpv3p
3/3/08 6:09:43PM

Posted by Kpro

”(It’s) an evolution of the traditional fighting ring that will greatly alter the current basis of MMA by changing how the fight is fought and the strategy the fighters must use to win,” the release stated. “This new surface has been specifically designed to keep the fighting more explosive and continuous. The YAMMA will change the face of the sport and will challenge the relevance of the fighters’ trademark tactics, as methods that were previously successful may be rendered useless with the new ring. This twist on an already successful sport will prove hugely popular with fighters and MMA audiences alike.

Could they possibly be talking about a moving surface? A cage that uses hydraulics to break stalemates on the ground? The organization is tight-lipped for now. However, YPF executives believe the novelty will help it penetrate the market.

makes me think of that gimmicky basketball type thing they had with trampolines all over the floor, I think it was called slamball or something... This just sounds silly
fedorwins1
3/3/08 6:12:46PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Kpro

makes me think of that gimmicky basketball type thing they had with trampolines all over the floor, I think it was called slamball or something... This just sounds silly

Slamball was awesome! Wonder what happened to it....
StevenSeagal
3/5/08 4:32:20PM
If you guys check out Yamma's site Yamma Homepage you can see a little bit of what the ring looks like... At least it looks like a ring.
ncordless
3/7/08 6:34:37PM
This business about a new surface is the dumbest thing I've read in forever. If it's true, then shame on them.

Hmm... What if they fought on top of a sphere?
Or a spinning disc?
Or how about in zero gravity?
Or in a Silly Silo?
Oh wait... I know. It's going to be a ring that when the fighting stalls out on the ground will POP them up in the air like popcorn. A fifteen foot freefall will definately spice up an otherwise boring LnP snoozefest.

Jipper
3/12/08 6:23:04AM
I've heard everything from a rumbling ring when is stalls on the ground to a cage with curved ring edges (I pictured a harder surfaced World Combat League ring in a cage).

The card looks like a good night of HW's if the rings doesn't blow it.
I'm also not big on the one night tourny's. They died for a reason, cough cough Steve Jennum.

Rings nor Cages were meant for MMA. I've held my breath many times when fighters fall through the ropes or get KO'd and hit the cage. Since it's a spectator sport it'll always need to be on a raised surface and as long as it's on a raised surface they'll need to be a way to keep the fighters on the platform.

Maybe YAMMA is the made for MMA surface. MMA does need one. But if it's a rumbling or moving surface look for it be be classed more as an American Gladiator type of event instead of MMA.
Svartorm
3/12/08 5:48:12PM
On the fight poster, they have a "ring" that looks like a fishbowl with bars for sides. No clue how that "changes the world of fighting" as its basically the same thing is HDNets cage.
JuggaloWarrior878
3/13/08 2:34:24AM
im definitley ordering it. 35 seems high but with a few friends over itll only be like 5 a piece.