Yamasaki's Blunder: Silva vs. Prater

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Yamasaki's Blunder: Silva vs. Prater
jakewalters
1/15/12 3:42:15AM
Saw there wasn't yet a thread discussing this fight, which there really should be. This was a super controversial match from many different angles. If you didn't tune in, Erick Silva defeated Carlo Prater and was beating on the side of Prater's head after a devastating knee to the body that dropper Prater. Silva would have won the fight regardless. A minute afterwards, referee Mario Yamasaki informed Silva that because of the 1-2 blows to the back of Prater's head, he would lose by disqualification.

Obviously, after watching the match you saw there was only one or two inadvertent blows to the back of Prater's head, and the crowd along with Joe Rogan agreed after the replay that Silva should have gotten the win.

What was interesting was Rogan interviewing Mario Yamasaki after the fight. Normally, in areas (like the USA, Europe, Australia) where fights are commissioned a commissioner (like Keith Kizer) would pull a referee from a potential post-fight interview, but in Brazil there's really not too much regulation (you saw Jose Aldo's Rocky-esque crowd-mobbing). Yamasaki stuck to his guns in his decision to give Prater the win after the Silva DQ. But the obvious question is why stop the fight instead of breaking it up and potentially dicking Silva a point if blows to the back of the head were really the issue at the forefront.

I have a feeling (mainly because of the lack of commissioning in Brazil) that the UFC will turn the fight into a No Contest in the next 24-hours. It was an interesting finish though, especially to see a referee get interviewed after the fight.. something I don't remember ever seeing.
40ouncetpkid
1/15/12 3:57:18AM
Yeah that was dumb especially since their has been FAR FAR FAR worse. Vitor destroyed akiyama with them ect. Terrible call tho they will probably make it a no contest hopefully.
ncordless
1/15/12 4:06:21AM
Horrible reffing by Yamasaki. If he thought the shots to the back of the head warranted something, he should have stopped the action when one happened and deducted a point, not wait until it is over and then say there was a DQ.
Kpro
1/15/12 4:15:08AM
That was the first thing I thought. How did the AC let Mario be interviewed. Then I remembered where they were. But then I thought, as ncordless pointed out, where was the 5 minutes to recover? How can you just call a DQ like that and not even ask a fighter if he can continue. It's an obvious W for Silva that will unfortunately show as a NC but the UFC will view it as a win and he'll get an opponent that reflects that I'm sure.

Somethin in that Rio air.
kopower
1/15/12 5:29:04AM
Horrible reffing. Pretty much all that needs to be said.
prozacnation1978
1/15/12 10:54:22AM
Very bad decision by Mario
This fight will turn to a no contest
But prater had no.business in the cage with silva
State_Champ
1/15/12 11:32:30AM

Posted by Kpro

That was the first thing I thought. How did the AC let Mario be interviewed. Then I remembered where they were. But then I thought, as ncordless pointed out, where was the 5 minutes to recover? How can you just call a DQ like that and not even ask a fighter if he can continue. It's an obvious W for Silva that will unfortunately show as a NC but the UFC will view it as a win and he'll get an opponent that reflects that I'm sure.

Somethin in that Rio air.

Did he not ask whether the fighter (Prater) could continue?
I missed that part, I think...

If that is the case, then this stoppage was bogus all around.
Geoffo
1/15/12 9:45:19PM
I think Prater might have had an influence on Yamasaki's decision. Do you guys think so? He kept saying he had weird pains like he's never felt before... But bro... he just got fuckin smashed by Erick fuckin' Silva. Just stop complaining holy.