Yahoo! Sports UFC 81 Coverage( The All Lesnar- No Mir respect travesty)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Yahoo! Sports UFC 81 Coverage( The All Lesnar- No Mir respect travesty)
Lay_N_Pray
1/30/08 12:33:24AM
I am sorry but I just have to get this off my chest.

I have nothing against Iole or Meltzer, this is not about them, it's about the stupid video they have on the front page of the website.

"UFC 81: Lesnar's opponent speaks"

What the hell is that about!?! That's the title of the video?

Look Yahoo, and all the yahoos jumping on the Lesnar bandwagon. Like who you want to like but "Lesnar's opponent" has a name damn it, and it's FRANK MIR.

Let's have a little respect and at least refer to one of the best heavyweight fighters in the world by his name. It's common courtesy.

It just gets me angry that people are writing off Mir this bad, they can't even spell out his name on his interview video, just a sad situation.
Jackelope
1/30/08 1:08:20AM
Yeah I was thinking that today, even though I haven't seen this particular thing you talk about. Everyone is saying Lesnar that, Lesnar this. I'd be pretty pissed if I was Mir and I'd be looking to make a statement. At least I hope he is.

Anyway I aint huggin on Mir's nuts, I'm just hoping that Mir has some good rage built up for this fight. I'd like to see both fighters put it all on the line. Mir is getting the shit end of the stick deal with this, while Lesnar is having his whole career handed to him.

Lesnar wins- he beat a former UFC champ and he's no joke, watch out Fedor!
Lesnar loses- he lost to a former UFC champ in only his 2nd fight, give him some time to develop.

Mir wins- big deal, he beat a guy who is unproven with only 1 professional fight.
Mir loses- Mir's washed up and his time is over.
ufcboss
1/30/08 4:50:48AM
whardin19
1/30/08 7:13:18AM
Wow! I haven't seen this myself either. But if its true it's really insulting to a really good fighter and former UFC Champ in Frank Mir. Although I myself am picking Brock Lesnar, Mir is going to give him all he can handle.
hippysmacker
1/30/08 10:47:47AM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah I was thinking that today, even though I haven't seen this particular thing you talk about. Everyone is saying Lesnar that, Lesnar this. I'd be pretty pissed if I was Mir and I'd be looking to make a statement. At least I hope he is.

Anyway I aint huggin on Mir's nuts, I'm just hoping that Mir has some good rage built up for this fight. I'd like to see both fighters put it all on the line. Mir is getting the shit end of the stick deal with this, while Lesnar is having his whole career handed to him.

Lesnar wins- he beat a former UFC champ and he's no joke, watch out Fedor!
Lesnar loses- he lost to a former UFC champ in only his 2nd fight, give him some time to develop.

Mir wins- big deal, he beat a guy who is unproven with only 1 professional fight.
Mir loses- Mir's washed up and his time is over.

I really beleive ,we the die hard MMA fans, are the ones who will be the most grateful to Mir if he snaps Lesnars arm. I admit I'm picking Lesnar, becuase I feel Mir not only hasn't been the same since the accident, he hasn't shown a lot of passion for training recently either. I don't care how much weight Mir lifts now. I want to see his cardio to be improved, which was a weakness even before the accident, and has only went downhill since IMO. Still, I would be happy to be wrong. I don't want to see Bill Goldberg crowing about pro wrestlers being the real badasses. I feel the UFC is in a win-win scenario. IF Lesnar flops they mock his pro wrestling background. If Lesnar does well, they keep promoting his NCAA credentials, down play the WWF angle, and rake in the new WWF fans. I think it will actually help the UFC promotion wise, but make the next year or 2 hard for us on diehards on MMA forums. I fear more kids joining who would make the uneducated new seasonal TUF crowds seem enlightened. I don't mind new fans, they are what make the sport grow, and we were all new once. I just wish they would sometimes spend a little more time educating themselves ,before spouting off such vehement opinion sometimes. When you start delving into something ,it's fair to assume that there are those who have delved longer/ deeper. Personally I take notice of people who are more experienced in a given subject than I, and try to investigate why they have formed their opinions.. A lot of the new MMA fans are very young though, and all that pubescent rashness occasionally spills over the net. So if we have a new wave of noobs, I hope we all try to politely educate them, instead of discouraging them. As much as I like the growth of MMA , I would prefer more people who outgrew wrestling , and want something more real getting into MMA , than the victorious Lesnar alternative. Can you imagine a army of kids descending on our forums starting topics like" Who will be the next UFC Lightheavy weight champ : Chris Jericho or Shawn Michaels? If Lesnar were to make it later through hard work, that would be fine by me. By then the best promotional angle would parallel the rise of Marcus Davis. Ex boxer/WWf guy who learned his old profession was inferior in MMA, and became a true mixed martial artsit. So heres to Mir returning to pre-accident form and snapping that arm.
tberg420
1/30/08 7:16:35PM
I'm picking Mir and standing by it. I don't really care that Brock is a former WWE Wrestler as I enjoyed him in the WWE Ring. This fight really isn't about WWE vs UFC and we as MMA fans certainly don't need to stand behind anyone if we don't want to. You pick who you want to win and go from there. I picked Mir because I think that Brock's sloppy strikes lead to an armbar.

www.scrubsports.com
"We have MMA, NFL, MLB,NCAA, NBA, Tennis, Golf and We Help You Gamble As Well"
evilpimp
1/30/08 7:24:23PM
i agree with you lay n pray a little respect for mir
rcg916
1/30/08 8:15:38PM
So, Hippy... Does that mean that Im not a diehard MMA fan if I enjoy both wrestling and MMA?

(Sorry man, your response kind of surprises me, you arent usually one to knock people for their past endeavors...)
Jackelope
1/30/08 8:42:57PM

Posted by rcg916

So, Hippy... Does that mean that Im not a diehard MMA fan if I enjoy both wrestling and MMA?

(Sorry man, your response kind of surprises me, you arent usually one to knock people for their past endeavors...)

I don't think he's really trying to knock it... I think it has more context around it being Brock Lesnar specifically.

None of us are worried about Chris Jericho coming into the UFC and being any kind of threat, because we're all knowledgeable MMA fans. However, Brock Lesnar poses a real threat to the intelligent observer due to his not only massive size and agility, but also his NCAA wrestling background. Unfortunately, to the casual uneducated viewer Brock Lesnar represents the WWE coming in and posing a legitimate threat because its full of big, strong guys who wrestled in the WWE.

Still, if Brock's head movement is anything near what it was in the Min Soo Kim fight he's in for a world of hurt against top rated strikers. Especially the way he drops his left hand habitually as you can even see in the UFC promo videos. Personally I am picking Mir, I will NOT pick Lesnar (no matter how much it seems like the UFC is setting up Mir for failure) because I see two things specifically getting him- One is a right kick to the head followed by a straight punch down the middle of that sloppy head movement, and the other is an ankle lock on that leg lesnar always seems to keep just in reach of his opponent while in side control and half guard. Just like he did vs. Min Soo Kim and just like it looks like he still does in the training videos.

hippysmacker
1/30/08 11:36:00PM

Posted by rcg916

Firts, It;s hippy-Smacker

Second. You are already a MMA fan, and I really am confused how you could get that impression from what I wrote. I just fear the people who think pro wrestling ISN'T planned out entertainment, really clogging up mma message boards with ridiculous predictions about Roddy Piper being the new UFc champ. . if you re-read my post, you will notice that I said if it happened, we would need to help educate the noobs, instead of discouraging them. I never made any comment even remotely alluding to people not being able to like both. I made comments about the uneducated ( i.e. possible new fans coming over from pro wrestling) making rash statements. Personally i can't stand Lesnar, as his comments I have read and heard , have been ridiculously arrogant to me. I really hope he gets a serious hurting, and then he might learn to show some respect for fighters that have been doing this for a while, and the sport in general . i would much rather he fought Mccaully or O'Brien, as I beleive they would humble him at his own game.
telnights
1/30/08 11:37:25PM
I have to agree with hippysmacker I think this is a win win for the UFC. They can play it up either way. I also think its a win win for MMA as a hole because it brings a lot of new fans to the sport. Doesn't mean I'm looking forward to bunch of young MMA newbies on the forums but they can become hardcore fans and just as educated as any of us if given the right info and time.
Kastro
1/31/08 1:29:51AM
Its amazing how quickly people write off fighters these days, Frank Mir is a former champion and should have the respect he deserves from everyone.

Hopefully Mir can get this win. I saw the countdown today and Brock seemed a bit disrespectful towards Mir and really tried to act like hes nothing to him, Mir on the other hand sounded like he knows he is up for a test.

As Boondock said, I believe Lesnar will win this but I am really hoping for Mir to catch him in a submission.

Anyways good thread I give props for this and I wish Mir all the best for his bout with Lesnar, hopefully Mir comes in shape with some good conditioning because IMO he really needs it to win.
telnights
1/31/08 8:20:38PM

Posted by Kastro

Its amazing how quickly people write off fighters these days, Frank Mir is a former champion and should have the respect he deserves from everyone.

Hopefully Mir can get this win. I saw the countdown today and Brock seemed a bit disrespectful towards Mir and really tried to act like hes nothing to him, Mir on the other hand sounded like he knows he is up for a test.

As Boondock said, I believe Lesnar will win this but I am really hoping for Mir to catch him in a submission.

Anyways good thread I give props for this and I wish Mir all the best for his bout with Lesnar, hopefully Mir comes in shape with some good conditioning because IMO he really needs it to win.

We had a talk about why is it a fighter can have a bad night only Once, and people turn on them?HERE.