Xbox 360 or PS3?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Xbox 360 or PS3?
Next Page »
Shawn91111
2/12/08 11:19:38PM
Ok so I want to get one of these gaming systems in anticipation for GTA4 and the new UFC game whenever it does come out. I was wondering which system you have and do you recommend it? I have heard the Xbox 360 freezes up a lot and has a high return rate, your thoughts?
Kpro
2/12/08 11:22:49PM
My vote goes to PS3.

Currently 360 has a much better library and much better online play, but comparatively speaking in software out in an equivalent period after launch, as well as in strength of hardware, PS3 will be the front runner hands down by year end, as software developers are just scratching the surface of the PS3's potential.

And yes I have both.
Shawn91111
2/12/08 11:25:10PM

Posted by Kpro

My vote goes to PS3.

Currently 360 has a much better library and much better online play, but comparatively speaking in software out in an equivalent period after launch, as well as in strength of hardware, PS3 will be the front runner hands down by year end, as software developers are just scratching the surface of the PS3's potential.

And yes I have both.

Have you played online with the ps3, if so how would you say it is? I hear its free compared to Xbox.
ufcboss
2/12/08 11:50:26PM
These days it only really depends on what controller you like more, Most games will come out on all formats, The days of XBOX or PS exclusive games are numbered.

I have always been a sony fanboy, But on all 3 systems they have dissapointed me, Then I got a 200GB modded XBOX and that shit on the PS2.I now have a 360 and in time, It will shit on the PS3, I compare 360 games to PS3 one's and there is no difference. All about the controller I say.

PS3 owners seem to rave on about BLU-RAY all the time as it is the PS3's best feature, But very soon BLU-RAY will be cheap as so who care's.

My major point is PS3 is not worth the money, 360 is. The richest man in the world cant go wrong!

PS. 360 will have 'Exclusive downloads for GTA IV too"
rabbit915
2/13/08 12:38:04AM
My vote would be for the 360. It does have a larger software library and i has a lot of quality exclusives. I have had to return mine for overheating but its fully covered by warranty and is really only a minor hassle. It also shouldnt be a problem any more as they have fixed the problem.
proassassin
2/13/08 1:58:45AM
buy the 360 i have both and never use the ps3 online because its terrible. the only time i use the ps3 is for blue ray.
telnights
2/13/08 2:03:27AM

Posted by Kpro

My vote goes to PS3.

And yes I have both.

I also have both.
Rich78
2/13/08 5:59:27AM
I have a ps3, and although the network isn't as 'in depth' as xboxlive, it still does what I want it to, i.e. download trailers, demos, updates. Unlike the 360, it also comes with an unlimited web browser which is cool. Also It would enable me to play online with friends..... if they didn't all have an xbox.

But yeah, currently the game selection from the 360 blows the PS3 out of the water, but hopefully this will all change this year.

Also with all this hd v blu-ray, am I the only person who is still buying normal dvds?

PS. I'm 'elcoolmagnifico' on Playstation network if anyone wants to hit me up.
BlazinSaddle
2/13/08 6:38:13AM
i got a sneak peak at PS4 and thats what i want to get, coming out sometime in 2010-2011 and not completely remodeled yet

but ive read some interesting changes that will be made...we'll see whats coming in the world of gaming in the next 5 years
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
SmileR
2/13/08 8:12:18AM
I'v got both and the PS3 blows the Xbox away!
Right now the Xbox has the best games out but the PS3 has free online play which costs £45 a year on the Xbox and give the PS3 a year and it'll be easily the best.

If i had to throw one away i wouldn't even think twice about it!
Get the PS3 man it wont disappoint
Salty
2/13/08 8:35:39AM
I have a 360 its definitly they way to go, better game selection, better online play, more exclusive game downloads. my cousin has a 360 PS3 and the Wii, and he litterally stopped playing the PS3 because the games that came out for both systems where more fun to play on the 360 because of things like the achievements in the games, because not only do you want to beat the game now, you want those 1000 gamer points, it gives games replay value.

The only reason he hasn't got rid of his PS3 all together is because he conciders it a "cheap blu-ray player" he's a big movie guy
emfleek
2/13/08 8:54:12AM
PS3.

F*ck Microsoft.
mmadb
2/13/08 10:15:31AM
I have a 360 and other than the notoriously bad failure rate ($50 for a 2 year warranty fixes that worry) I must admit it's a great console. Current game library goes to the 360 over the PS3 for sure for now but I'm sure in the end it'll be a toss up. Although the 360's online play is about $5 a month it's well worth it in my opinion. I'm not that familiar with the PS3's online content but I know lots of games have 360 exclusive content available online. I personally like the 360 controller better as well. The main thing I give the PS3 is the Blu-Ray is pretty nice. Seeing that it seems like Blu-Ray is going to win the HD battle that would be a nice thing to have.
Linye
2/13/08 10:49:16AM
Which games are coming out this year for the PS3 that will make it have a better library of games?
mmadb
2/13/08 11:09:22AM
Here's a list of PS3 Exclusive titles I came across...

-Afrika (Confirmed)
-Angel Rings (Published by Sony)
-Eight days (SCE)
-EyeDentify (Published by Sony)
-Fifth Phantom Saga (Confirmation)
-Final Fantasy XIII (Confirmed)
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Confirmed)
-Folks Soul
-Formula One (Published by Sony)
-Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Confirmation)
-Genji: Days of the Blade (Confirmation)
-God of War 3
-Gradius (Confirmation)
-Grand Turismo 5 (Published by Sony)
-Grand Turismo HD (Published by Sony)
-Gretzky NHL (Published by Sony)
-Heavenly Sword (Published by Sony)
-Hot Shots Golf 5 (Published by Sony)
-Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (Published by Sony)
-Killzone 3 (SCE)
-Lair (Confirmation)
-Little Big Planet
-Metal Gear Solid 4 (Confirmation)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam World (Confirmed)
-Monster Hunter 3 (Confirmation)
-Motor Storm (Published by Sony)
-My Singstar (Published by Sony)
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma
-Ni-Oh (Information)
-Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Published by Sony)
-Redwood Falls (Information)
-Resistance: Fall of Man (Confirmation)
-Resistance: Rise of Man
-Ridge Racer 7 (Confirmation)
-Shin Megami Tensei (Confirmation)
-Tekken 6 (Confirmed)
-The Eye of Judgment (SCE)
-The Getaway (SCE)
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(SCE)
-Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SCE)
-WarDevil Enigma (Confirmation)
-Warhawk (Published by Sony)
-White Knight Story
-Wipeout (Confirmation)

Couldn't find a reliable list of 360 exclusive titles quickly so I'll post one later if I find one.
Silent-Sir
2/13/08 11:40:46AM
I own both systems, and while I have always been partial to the Playstation, I would have to say you should pick up the 360. It has a much larger library of games and, from what I've heard, its online experience is far superior to the PS3.

In my opinion, graphics aren't a factor in making a decision since they are both pretty much identical. Maybe once developers learn to harness the full potential of the PS3 we'll see it move ahead of the 360.
TNunley
2/13/08 12:34:12PM
Man it's all about what you want... I personally will never own a 360 because I can't stand the controller set up. The Playstation controllers always feel more ergonomically correct, and the buttons are spaced perfectly.

As far as buying one for an investment the no brainer decision is a PS3. You get far more from the PS3 than you do the 360. As of today the games have not been developed to the full capacity of the PS3, but when they do the 360 won't even compare to the PS3. Even the discs PS3 uses are 10gb bigger than the 360's.

Every 360 fanboy will tell you it's better, and every PS3 fanboy will tell you IT is better... it's all about what you want. If you're asking for people to give their opinion though... PS3 seems like a better investment to me. And again, I hate XBox controllers, and how they (microsoft) charge you for everything.

-Edit-
I also wouldn't buy a 360 solely because someone says "360 has more games". Yeah, they do... today. 360 has also been out longer than PS3, and eventually they will be equal. That doesn't seem like a logical reason to purchase something.
bullettdodger
2/13/08 12:39:44PM
Once Metal Gear Solid comes out for the PS3 i may break down and get one.. as for now, im quite satisfied with my 360, I've played Call of Duty 4 on both my buddy's PS3 and the copy i own for my 360, and really it comes down to the controller as was said before... the dual shock 3 will be tight but until they put rumble back in it feels, at least to me, like the weight in the controller is off. Also at 50 bucks for the whole year (in the US) its more than reasonable for a better online gaming experience. Also it should be noted that "episodic content will be release on the 360" via the xboxlive arcade which has a wealth of great games that you can download for a "reasonable price" Personally theres nothing better than playing some Metal Slug 3 on an HD gaming device

good luck with your choice, they're both great machines, don't get the cheap versions of either though, you get what you pay for.
TWITA
2/13/08 1:34:01PM
I own both. Some comments are 100% correct - X360 has a better library and the online part (Xbox Live) is way better (at this point) than the PS3. However, I'm now on my 3rd 360 system in less than 3 years and haven't had 1 issue with the PS3. If you have a high def TV - the PS3 is the way to go as the system has a built-in blu-ray player and most games look better (graphically) than the X360 games. Plus, the online component for the PS3 is free. The PS3 library will continue to grow which will just make the PS3 better.
TNunley
2/13/08 2:19:37PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Once Metal Gear Solid comes out for the PS3 i may break down and get one.. as for now, im quite satisfied with my 360, I've played Call of Duty 4 on both my buddy's PS3 and the copy i own for my 360, and really it comes down to the controller as was said before... the dual shock 3 will be tight but until they put rumble back in it feels, at least to me, like the weight in the controller is off. Also at 50 bucks for the whole year (in the US) its more than reasonable for a better online gaming experience. Also it should be noted that "episodic content will be release on the 360" via the xboxlive arcade which has a wealth of great games that you can download for a "reasonable price" Personally theres nothing better than playing some Metal Slug 3 on an HD gaming device

good luck with your choice, they're both great machines, don't get the cheap versions of either though, you get what you pay for.

Since you have both, and you were talking about playing COD4... have you tried the PS3's mouse controller system? Here

Personally, I'd rather play games like COD4 on the PC because you have the ability to aim better with the mouse than a joystick... does the XBox 360 have anything like that?

To me that puts the PS3 at a much better advantage when it comes to FPS games.
Evilwig
2/13/08 2:40:10PM
I own both system but for two different purposes.

I have my Xbox360 for gaming. The game library is better than the PS3 one.
Online play is better on Xbox360. The menus are more intuitive and it works better than the PS3. And it's 5 buck per month, so you are a cheap ass if you whine about it.

I have a PS3 for the entertainment factor. I can play blue ray, browse on the tv if I'm too lazy to get my butt of the couch ect...

If you a gamer (play about 3-4 hours a day) I say Xbox360 because of XBox live and a better library.

Il you like more to watch Blu Ray movie movie and casual gamer I say PS3.

Also microsoft offer a 3 years warranty now, so even if it breaks often there is no problem in getting a replacement. I already replace 3 Xbox at no fees.
edge0125
2/13/08 3:44:14PM
PS3 all day
Trapt1nw0nder
2/13/08 4:28:49PM
XBOX360 is the way to go...

If you are a true gamer and up to the news,you would know that XBOX has been beating the crap out of the PS3 in every way possible.......we have the better games and current multi platform titles are better on xbox360...EA sports games are currently running twice as fast...

I think the controller for the xbox360 is the best and fits like a glove with rumble and replacable batteries,in which the PS3 you will have to throw away your controller and buy a new one when the battery dies...

If i were you i would go with the 360 for sure! Not only is it cheaper,but you will find alot of great games in the bargain bin or ebay for $15-25...as where the same game(if they have them) are still twice as much for ps3 since they were most likely released months later.....and the xbox360 is much easier to develope for which will lead to more developers wanting to make games for us..for example Lost Planet for the Xbox360 is being released now for the PS3 more than a year later and its still gonna look better on xbox360.....they couldnt even get the damn demo up and running for the PS3 so they pulled it down.....would you rather buy a better version of Lost Planet for $15-$20 used or $59.99 for a new release price of a lesser quality game for the PS3?
Shawn91111
2/13/08 7:12:42PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

XBOX360 is the way to go...

If you are a true gamer and up to the news,you would know that XBOX has been beating the crap out of the PS3 in every way possible.......we have the better games and current multi platform titles are better on xbox360...EA sports games are currently running twice as fast...

I think the controller for the xbox360 is the best and fits like a glove with rumble and replacable batteries,in which the PS3 you will have to throw away your controller and buy a new one when the battery dies...

If i were you i would go with the 360 for sure! Not only is it cheaper,but you will find alot of great games in the bargain bin or ebay for $15-25...as where the same game(if they have them) are still twice as much for ps3 since they were most likely released months later.....and the xbox360 is much easier to develope for which will lead to more developers wanting to make games for us..for example Lost Planet for the Xbox360 is being released now for the PS3 more than a year later and its still gonna look better on xbox360.....they couldnt even get the damn demo up and running for the PS3 so they pulled it down.....would you rather buy a better version of Lost Planet for $15-$20 used or $59.99 for a new release price of a lesser quality game for the PS3?

Yea Im a huge sports game player, so id be playing mostly sports games.
SpiderSilva
2/13/08 9:03:40PM
Note- Microsoft has fixed most probs if not all with new systems coming out plus i take like 1 1/2 weeks to get it back and they give you a free card for online play

360 all the way!
roger
2/13/08 9:29:36PM
I own both and i play my 360 more then my ps3 i like the 360's better
Ordep
2/13/08 11:08:17PM
I had the same question....
Here's my breakdown to make my decision

System : PS3
DVD Player : PS3 , BR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HDDVD
Game Library (actual) : 360
Game Library (1st quater 09) : PS3
Online Gaming : I haven't experienced the 360 but I tell you the PSN is free and the PS Store is really nice. Also you might want to look a the Playstation Home thing that is coming soon, It's like playing the Sims online but all the people you hang out around are PSN users and you can meet them and launch games from there etc.
Final Fantasy 13 : PS3
Soul Calibur 4 guest Character for PS3: Darth Vader
Soul Calibur 4 guest Character for 360: Yoda
we all know Vader owns Yoda
your interest ....

Sports Games: they'll be about the same for both consoles
m NOW.... if youre interested in a Baseball game.... PS3 >>> 360 with the MLB:The Show series..... and the '08 one looks great

Final Point: 360 Library is bigger b/c it came out way before the PS3....
PS3 has a better "Coming Soon" Library so that could make you
regret later if you get a 360

Now the price......... People tend to go for the 360 because of the price and some aspects of both consoles are the same which make sense to get the cheaper one if those aspects are they one you're interested in (example: just getting GTA4 or a specific game available for both consoles) but remember that the actual "high" price of the PS3 is because of its Blu-Ray compatibility. So you're getting the most powerful game console available PLUS the a DVD player for the best HD format available.

get a PS3

SpiderSilva
2/14/08 9:57:48AM
you should never bet on "coming soon" game because most wont be that good even with history of quality gaming behind it
mmadb
2/14/08 10:46:04AM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by bullettdodger

Since you have both, and you were talking about playing COD4... have you tried the PS3's mouse controller system? Here

Personally, I'd rather play games like COD4 on the PC because you have the ability to aim better with the mouse than a joystick... does the XBox 360 have anything like that?

To me that puts the PS3 at a much better advantage when it comes to FPS games.

http://www.xcmlive.com/cgi-bin/xcmlive/engine.pl?function=viewid&id=RKS000123&cat=XBOX360-CABLES%20AND%20ADAPTERS

You can use ANY keyboard and Mouse on the 360 according to what I read about this thing. AND this silly thing even allows you to use a PS2 controller on a 360 if you want. I do still think the games need to support the use of a keyboard and mouse as well though. I personally think they shouldn't even allow them period as it gives an unfair advantage in online play to players who have them and will make FPS's way easier. As much as I used to hate FPS's on console the challenge of using the controller has grown on me and I can't even picture playing a game like Gears of War with a keyboard and mouse.

As for the whole game library debate. Sure, the 360 has a year on the PS3 and thus has a bigger library. In the long run that point won't matter because in the end 90% of the games will be on both consoles anyways with each console having their own great exclusives (Gears for the 360) or (MGS for the PS3) as an example off the top of my head. Online the 360 wins even though it's $5 a month. Blu-ray is great on the PS3.

I love my 360 but that no way gives me any right to say everyone should buy a 360 instead of a PS3 because they are different products. It's not like buying a stick of ram from one company as opposed to another where either way you end up with the same result.

Conclusion: It's personal preference, both are very similar with minor differences.
TNunley
2/14/08 11:17:06AM

Posted by mmadb

http://www.xcmlive.com/cgi-bin/xcmlive/engine.pl?function=viewid&id=RKS000123&cat=XBOX360-CABLES%20AND%20ADAPTERS

You can use ANY keyboard and Mouse on the 360 according to what I read about this thing. AND this silly thing even allows you to use a PS2 controller on a 360 if you want. I do still think the games need to support the use of a keyboard and mouse as well though. I personally think they shouldn't even allow them period as it gives an unfair advantage in online play to players who have them and will make FPS's way easier. As much as I used to hate FPS's on console the challenge of using the controller has grown on me and I can't even picture playing a game like Gears of War with a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah I had seen that before, but it truely isn't the same as the PS3's mouse set up.... I like playing the FPS games on the PC because of the mouse, but I couldn't imagine how great it would be to have a joystick in the other hand for movement... it almost has a Wii-ish (You owe me a quarter everytime you use this phrase) feel to it... but better.

The keyboard is nice because you have the option to assign extra buttons, and usually end up with more available functions on a PC game because of that, but I don't think it would benefit much on a 360 to have a keyboard because you won't have the option for the extra functions.

I guess the fact of using a mouse was the main question, and the 360 has the option as well... I was just thinking it was pretty cool that the PS3 mouse has the buttons on the side as well as the seperate joystick for movement.

I also agree that the mouse gives an unfair advantage online... mouse aiming is much easier/quicker than joystick.

-Edit-
BTW, well said in the remainder of your post... very thoughtful and unbiased approach.
Pages: [1] 2