wtf i cant win a wrestling match

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » wtf i cant win a wrestling match
danny81
1/2/08 7:18:59PM
alirght im stronger, more explosive, better conditioned etc then any wrestler i have faced.(this is my first year) but i stil cant beat anyone im 5-0 all first round pins except 1 which was 2nd round pin. i cant fukcing figure it out. i train really hard on my technique as well but it just isnt coming. any tips my weight is 152
puppetmaster837
1/2/08 7:21:38PM
I cant win a wrestling match either and this is my first year. except im a lot smaller and weaker than all the guys i have wrestled against. I weigh around 157 and am wrestling 171. Im 0-4.
danny81
1/2/08 7:33:39PM
i meant 0-5 not 5-0 lol
postman
1/2/08 7:41:03PM
This is very important don't ever forget what i am about to tell you.... Don't ever go to you back in a wrestling match thats how they pin you. JK that guy Choi was bigger then Fedor and Fedor won, skill beats power 9/10 of the time . You are probley going against guys that have been doing it since they were 8 so pay attention in practice and work hard. It sucks to lose but if you go out to every practice and every match and give it 100% everytime and leave it all out on the mat then you have nothing to hang your head about. Good Luck and let us know when you get that first win!
danny81
1/2/08 8:26:54PM
lol. its ridicoulous tho. i can understand losing or w.e
but first round even tho i am much stronger and more conditioned etc. im not even winded by the end of the fight thats what pisses me off the most
hotrodttt
1/2/08 10:40:46PM
Here's my tip to a Stronger more Agile Wrestler

- Get the double wizzer and do a belly to belly suplex

- When you're top-man sink in a leg vine, hook your arm around his leg and sit back and you have the bannanna split and the pin

- Do an arm drag and get behind him using you Agility

Tips from Hotrodttt

Wrestling Update for those who care

Still undefeated at 12- 0

- Bear Bones 147 pound winner

- San Marin tourny winner / 100 $ Prize

- Just got invited to wrestle at the North Coast Championships
Vietnamese_Guy
1/2/08 11:48:39PM
don't worry, alot of wrestlers lose often in their first year, you maybe stronger generally but you haven't developed the wrestling strength while your opponents probably are more experienced and are stronger in terms of wrestling strength.

SpiderSilva
1/3/08 2:35:48AM
technique has a ton to do with it no rush it will come to you my fist year I was 5-19 (171)
we had a 2 time state HW on our team I worked every day the whole year with this dude the next year I went 24-6(189) big turn around placed 4th in state not back

practice practice practice

good luck in the future there is still a lot of time
decken
1/3/08 3:55:58PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Here's my tip to a Stronger more Agile Wrestler

- Get the double wizzer and do a belly to belly suplex

- When you're top-man sink in a leg vine, hook your arm around his leg and sit back and you have the bannanna split and the pin

- Do an arm drag and get behind him using you Agility

Tips from Hotrodttt

Wrestling Update for those who care

Still undefeated at 12- 0

- Bear Bones 147 pound winner

- San Marin tourny winner / 100 $ Prize

- Just got invited to wrestle at the North Coast Championships

I don't think telling him what moves he should try will really help him much, especially from the top position since it doesn't seem like he is making it that far.

The bottom line is just takes time to develop the necessary skills to be good. A good way to help speed up that development is wrestling with the best people on your team. This will force you to learn from your mistakes and also better simulate a wrestling match. Wrestling with the "new guys" that don't know what they are doing doesn't help you develop the necessary skills as fast because you are put in positions and experience things differently then you would if you were wrestling someone good. The "new guys", like yourself, make a lot of mistakes, so it is very helpful for those mistakes to be exploited in practice and for you to experience the correct way of doing things before your next match. Both of these things will be accomplished by wrestling the best on your team.

danny81
1/4/08 9:13:41PM
almost won todaty agains ta 4 year wrestler.
i lost in OT and i would of run but i did a full nelson tying the match. i ddint no that if i was swtiching hands and they amost touc it was a fulll lol
jiujitsufreak74
1/4/08 9:57:25PM

Posted by danny81

almost won todaty agains ta 4 year wrestler.
i lost in OT and i would of run but i did a full nelson tying the match. i ddint no that if i was swtiching hands and they amost touc it was a fulll lol

hang in there...it seems like your improving. it will come with time. i am a former wrestler (now i do JJ and kickboxing full time so no time for wrestling...i am in 11th gradebtw) who had to focus more on technique because i am not the strongest guy in my weight class and i wrestled varsity for two seasons. since you have the natural tools i am sure you'll develop the technique over time. stick with it because we had a kid on my team just like you and he used to win with just brute strength and no technique but when he faced the skilled kids he would lose. when he learned the technique he was all-state so hang in there. btw what grade are you in? preferably 9th because then you'll have more time, but just wondering.
danny81
1/4/08 10:39:04PM
11th lol. i also do boxing and BJJ. BTW today it was great since im in such better shape then the kid i was sprinting back to the circle the whole match and he was getting tired from that lo
CagesideMMA
1/5/08 11:51:27PM
started wrestling when i was 14. lost my first 11 matches. i kept at it though and finished my first year 3-12.

sophmore year got a spot on jv finished with a winning record.

junior year - made varsity (had a losing record)

Senior year - did really well.

Now I'm 32 and just starting jiu-jitsu, loving it but getting my butt kicked.

Just keep up the hard work!

www.CagesideMMA.com
Rush
1/5/08 11:55:16PM
The fact that you are losing means you are wrestling more experienced wrestlers than you. That means you will improve. If you just kept winning all the time that means that you fighting guys that are below you and it's hard to improve when you do that.
jgtribbett
1/7/08 12:18:28AM

Posted by puppetmaster837

I cant win a wrestling match either and this is my first year. except im a lot smaller and weaker than all the guys i have wrestled against. I weigh around 157 and am wrestling 171. Im 0-4.

i weighted 161 and wreslted 71.. you just have to be meaner... train technique and destroy yourself when you're tired... you'll get there.. pracitce with every weight
ncordless
1/7/08 12:38:24AM
Could you explain a little more about how they are flipping you over? Is there one particular way in which they keep getting you to your back, or is it a variety. Also, are you getting caught in takedowns, or are you getting some takedowns and getting reversed? Maybe you are doing something that is leaving you wide open to a particular type of TD.

Do you tape your matches? If not, you should. Watch what you are doing and figure out what is wrong with it. You can learn alot just from seeing what you are really doing as opposed to what you think you are doing.

My guess is that people are throwing technique at you that you don't really comprehend on the mat. Watching them do it and what you did wrong in response is a good way to learn.

I will go out on a limb and say that you don't really have "grappling balance" yet. What I mean by that is you are getting thrown off-center and losing your balance, both on your feet and on your back.

You can catch up. I didn't start wrestling until I was 13 (which is very late here in Iowa) and I caught up within a couple of years technique-wise. Just do some watching and some learning and you will be fine.

One last thing. My first year as a wrestler I basically knew nothing and still went 10-8 during season with two silvers in tourneys by being stronger and in better shape. What was my secret? All defense, all the time. Wait for the opponent to take the shot, and sprawl like a mother. Force his head/chest into the mat like you are trying to crush him, then try to spin for the takedown. Always take top position after the first. Use your strength and conditioning wear him out on bottom, but let it go if it's getting dicey. This might seem like a crappy way to play, and you might learn more by being aggressive, but if you hate to lose... do what you gotta.
cowcatcher
1/7/08 3:07:48PM
if you have a decent sprawl, then do what ncordless said, play defense and crossface, transitioning to a cradle. its one of the most basic moves out there and if you are stronger than your opponent will at least get you 2 for the TD, if not the pin. if you practice just a couple of techinques and get very good at them then you can start adding others, rather than trying to pull off more complicated moves like a sky force. keep it simple and get a couple of bread and butter moves as well as practing your switch, and oklahoma so you have escapes for when you get into trouble. they are the most simplistic reverses and need to be drilled over and over so they become second nature. an explosive switch is essential, ive seen an arm broken by a guy pulling a devastating switch, the guy on top of him held his elbow too tight and ended up out for the year because of it. as far as TDs go, practice your shot at least a couple of hundred times a day, it will train the muscle groups you are using and make your shot more explosive exponentially. relax on the mat, overexcitement breeds mistakes, and keep learning, like any sport, the more you learn and redrill moves, the more progress youll see. give it time and stick it out, when you start winning youll see that all the hard work was worth it. sorry if i went into moves too much, but a few simple moves under your belt that you get really good at can make a world of difference and i think the ones i listed should be a good starting point. good luck buddy and keep us posted.
tsuwrestler157
4/21/08 3:13:01PM
hey man take it from me it only gets easier. My freshman year of highschool i was coming off a very good 8th grade year and then i got thrown into the varsity lineup at 152 barely weighing 140 that year sucked i went 0-11 after that year i dedicated myself to becoming better i went to camps all summer i lifted after every or before every practice i stayed after practice with the best guy on my team and drilled technique till i couldnt stand

it all payed off i finished my senior year 29-6 losing to only 3 state place winners multple times now i am in college wrestling and it was like my freshman year of highschool all over again i started varisty at 165 (truely a 149lber) but we needed a 165lber so i sacrificed myself lol so to speak. i finished my season 8-16 not the best but its tough in college i now feel more determined to become better than ever and keep improving

so you need to find something that fuels you whether it be your losses or an opponent that you want to beat really badly and just strive everyday and think about that person and know that he is training to beat you so you have to train twice as hard and do twice as much to stay ahead of all your opponents

well best of luck in all you do if you have ne questions feel free to ask
Jackelope
4/21/08 3:24:50PM
I like what cowcatcher said, and a lot of what everyone else said.

I know it may be the kind of thing people would talk down on, but I honestly like having "money moves". Moves I know I can fall back on, and that I feel 100% comfortable putting someone in. A lot of high school wrestling coaches will just teach the entire team certain moves. Your body composition may not be as friendly to said moves as someone else's may be. Go with what you feel good with, and train those up. It's like Nate Diaz busting triangles on everyone he faces. Triangles just work for him, so he's fine tuned them. Granted, you can't exactly put someone in a triangle in wrestling, but you get the picture.