wtf knocked Couture down?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » wtf knocked Couture down?
Djbb
11/17/08 2:06:06PM
I've been re-watching this clip of the fight over and over trying to figure out exactly wtf knocked Couture down, at 2:52 it looks like Lesnar walloped Couture over the back of the head and Couture fell to his knees. Which would be funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBjnxWz0jPY
DCRage
11/17/08 2:11:00PM
This GIF might give you a better clue:

You'll see it's a right that seems to land flush on the side of Randy's head.
Djbb
11/17/08 2:13:19PM
ohhhh shit that looks way more devastating in slow-motion. good find
Aaronno9
11/17/08 2:14:42PM
The first blow brock throws down when Randy first hits the deck looked pretty bad to. Randys head bounces off the floor.
wiggum
11/17/08 2:16:22PM
yeah, thats a hard punch....big strong guy nailing in a spot that not only shakes ya senseless but more importantly messes up your equilibrium.....that punch would probably put anyone down...maybe not mark hunt tho ha.....also, about a minute before that, lesnar tagged randy good with an elbow i believe, rocked him pretty good with that as well, might not have shaken all the cobwebs out
Djbb
11/17/08 2:18:49PM

Posted by wiggum

that punch would probably put anyone down...

Giant Silva would eat that shot for breakfast
wiggum
11/17/08 2:31:20PM
ha....id love to see that....seriously actually, those two big mo fo's that are quick and agile.....thats a lot of power for an octagon!!!!
nickcuc547
11/17/08 2:54:31PM

Posted by wiggum

ha....id love to see that....seriously actually, those two big mo fo's that are quick and agile.....thats a lot of power for an octagon!!!!

i honestly think the ufc should go after silva, he would be a decent shot in the arm to the heavyweight division. after his suspension is up of course.
FlashyG
11/17/08 3:06:47PM
Looked similar to the punch that Serra threw that turned out to be the beginning of the end for GSP in their first fight.

Right on the side of the head messing up the equilibrium.
grappler0000
11/17/08 3:11:22PM
I hope you guys mean Junior/Bigfoot Silva and not Giant Silva.
loller90278
11/17/08 3:24:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

me too, i was thinking about giant silva the whole time and couldnt figure out if it was a joke -- haha
AchillesHeel
11/17/08 3:34:58PM

Posted by FlashyG

Looked similar to the punch that Serra threw that turned out to be the beginning of the end for GSP in their first fight.

Right on the side of the head messing up the equilibrium.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. And like Serra, Lesnar landed a couple of shots afterward that sealed the deal for the referee.
wiggum
11/17/08 3:42:12PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by grappler0000

me too, i was thinking about giant silva the whole time and couldnt figure out if it was a joke -- haha

yeah i was refering to junior silva....ha whups!....wow, i shouldnt have drank so much this weekend!
jocksmall
11/17/08 4:54:28PM

Posted by DCRage

a picture is worth a 1000 words
it was a brutal shot on the temple area
scoozna
11/17/08 5:08:44PM

Posted by jocksmall

Posted by DCRage

a picture is worth a 1000 words
it was a brutal shot on the temple area

In a post-fight interview, Randy says he thought he ducked out of the way but it caught him behind the ear. Then he adds something like "It's hard to get out of the way of those hamhocks."
bls1919
11/17/08 9:46:36PM
Man, Brock's 5 lb hand hit Randy right behind the ear. Where is the ? of what knocked him down. Not to be a dick but even if it was an arm punch.........thats a 50 lb arm.
DevonFoxy
11/17/08 10:00:15PM
Brock's GnP was horrible after the knockdown. It was like he was humping him with his forearm. Im sure they weren't light shots but still he may want to work on those.
Jackelope
11/17/08 10:01:27PM
Just like the announcers screwed it up - The majority of the blow did not land on the temple. It landed on the mastoid process, which is actually a more devastating shot (equilibrium wise) than the temple. Although it is directly connected to the temporal bone, it should be noted that there is a clear distinction between what people think is the "temple" area and what is actually the mastoid process area.

The mastoid process is directly connected to the center of the ear and as a result a direct shot will knock away all balance.

The only place I've ever been knocked out is from a hit directly to the mastoid process. It doesn't take much at all. Hardly anything, really. Take a look at Cote vs. Grove if you want to see another really good mastoid process shot.
Dragonscale
11/17/08 10:33:21PM
Did you guys see Randy talking to Kim after on that couch?

He was showing her his loose tooth, and you could see the gum area all around it red and bloody.
Jackelope
11/17/08 10:40:19PM

Posted by Dragonscale

Did you guys see Randy talking to Kim after on that couch?

He was showing her his loose tooth, and you could see the gum area all around it red and bloody.

that was probably a result of the elbow thrown earlier.

Anyway, Kim knows what having her teeth busted out is all about
jiujitsufreak74
11/17/08 10:44:07PM

Posted by Jackelope

Just like the announcers screwed it up - The majority of the blow did not land on the temple. It landed on the mastoid process, which is actually a more devastating shot (equilibrium wise) than the temple. Although it is directly connected to the temporal bone, it should be noted that there is a clear distinction between what people think is the "temple" area and what is actually the mastoid process area.

The mastoid process is directly connected to the center of the ear and as a result a direct shot will knock away all balance.

The only place I've ever been knocked out is from a hit directly to the mastoid process. It doesn't take much at all. Hardly anything, really. Take a look at Cote vs. Grove if you want to see another really good mastoid process shot.

exactly, your inner ear controls most of your balance, and a blow to the mastoid process really jumbles your inner ear thus altering your proprioception (awareness of where you are in space). to be more precise, it is the fluid in your semi-circular canals that effect balance and a shot to your mastoid process sends a large shock wave through your semi-circular canals resulting in a loss of balance or unconsciousness.

jgtribbett
11/18/08 8:11:55AM
Right behind the ear... ouch. Slow head movement. like ive said on another thread... ten years younger and that shot wouldnt have landed
JoeySteel
11/18/08 8:28:42AM
randy's teeth were bleeding at the end of the first round, his mouth gurad was CLEARLY bloody between rounds in his corner.

Also someone mentioned that the shot was on the temple, which is why rady got hurt. when I first saw the punch it seemed to be true, but this punch was MUCH more towards the side bass of the skull.

Very interesting punch, not illegal, and interesting.

A side note on Lesner's GnP. I thought it was pretty good, not so pretty, but effective. Randy did not have a chance to put his hands up to look as if he was defending himself cause they were quick forearms coming at him. And Lesner was not wasting motion bringing his arm all the way back for power shots.

rand'y head was flopping around like pieces of ham during that GnP.

Also where did Brock's cut come from. I really think it was from butting heads in the clinch. Let me know.
4u2nv
11/18/08 9:18:33AM
brock has huge hands. honestly he needs to just throw them and not really aim which is what he does most likely.
browneye
11/18/08 1:52:44PM
I thought the last 4 punches he was just barely hitting randy
Hendo67
11/18/08 2:54:19PM
Brocks Gnp looked terrible, those last forearm shots looked like he was milking a cow.
He really needs to improve the ground strikes, imo.