WSOF After-thoughts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WSOF After-thoughts
george112
11/4/12 12:24:12AM
what are yall after-thoughts?

I for one am pleasantly impressed. not a bad card in my book. I do think though that the audience was horrendous.

my grade is a very strong B++

nice finishes.
kopower
11/4/12 12:28:12AM
Finishes were great, good refs and commentating . The crowd did suck though. I'd agree with a solid B to B +.
george112
11/4/12 12:35:00AM

Posted by kopower

Finishes were great, good refs and commentating . The crowd did suck though. I'd agree with a solid B to B +.

hell yeah man. forgot to comment on the above par commentating. thoroughly enjoyed listening to Bas and his partner
Bubbles
11/4/12 12:35:59AM
I only caught the last few fights but it was pretty good
ghandikush
11/4/12 12:55:36AM
Went exactly how I thought it would minus Miguel failing to C competition.

I'll give it a B+ in its show. Great commentary and production, good matchmaking for exciting overmatched finishes and star power.

Great beginning show for staying power.
george112
11/4/12 1:03:38AM

Posted by ghandikush

Went exactly how I thought it would minus Miguel failing to C competition.

I'll give it a B+ in its show. Great commentary and production, good matchmaking for exciting overmatched finishes and star power.

Great beginning show for staying power.

Well said .
Definitely made me want to watch the next event to see what it had to offer. But seriously what can beat a free card on basic cable?? Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Which is a good thing IMO
Budgellism
11/4/12 1:50:43AM
The prelim debacle was a pain in the ass but that's not their fault. NBCSports played a much larger role in that decision.

The fights themselves were very good. Several upsets and a few spectacular finishes. That reversed heel hook that Cavalcante hit O'Brien with was awesome and so was that one punch knockout Johnson pulled off.

The Sherdog stream was pretty crappy (Like they usually are). The sound was cutting in and out a lot but once the main card started things were good.

It was a little strange to see Michael Schiavello call the prelims and then vanish for the main card. Bas had a good showing as always though

I'm very interested in their 2nd show. I expect a few key improvements. They already have a great fight in the bag (Tyson Nam vs. Marlon Moraes). I wonder if they'll get Arlovski and Johnson to fight again as well since neither guy really took any damage.

Overall I'd say their first show was a success. If I had to give it a letter grade it would be a B.

Sefo is a good guy who has a passion for combat sports. I can't wait to see if this works out for him.
DrivenDavies15
11/4/12 1:36:10AM
Got back from work and just watched main card and JZ fight. Overall was a sick event.

The Johnson KO was incredible and seeing Arlovski get another slick KO was just the best. Kinda bummed Torres and Harris lost though.

Spong looked like a beast donèt see many guys make their MMA debuts in such devastating fashion like that, even though the guy he fought was a can I hope Spong does well in MMA which is likely considering hes only 27.
FastKnockout
11/4/12 2:19:58AM
(Negatives)

- Mike Straka
- Gap between prelims and main card
- Last minute prelim/main card switches
- The NBC channel was black screening for the first few minutes but straightened eventually out
- Crowd (Can't help that, though)

(Positives)

-Production
- Star power
- Excitement/Finishes
- Upsets
- Bas
- Future match-ups (Nam vs. Moraes)

For a first event I'd say it went pretty damn good. Fun fights and exciting finishes. I was very happy to hear Nam vs. Moraes already in the works. Shows they are serious about sticking around and plan to make big fights whenever possible.
jakewalters
11/4/12 2:30:43AM
Rumble baby Rumble!

ghandikush
11/4/12 2:59:57AM
Small comment but personally I had burkman having a slight edge over his opponent. Burkmans always been a strong wrestler with good sub d.
kingsmasher
11/4/12 3:35:47AM
I thought it was kinda weak...Torres let me down and Rumble would have zero chance in the ufc at 205
kopower
11/4/12 6:22:50AM

Posted by kingsmasher

I thought it was kinda weak...Torres let me down and Rumble would have zero chance in the ufc at 205

Rumble would have zero chance at 205? Maybe against the top guys, but he's looked impressive at 205 lately. He looks like a completely different fighter.
cowcatcher
11/4/12 11:20:23AM
The whole event had the feeling of a Blackzillian smoker to me. I couldn't handle watching the Sherdog stream and I had a minor seizure when the main card started and they were having technical difficulties. After the seizure I was far more relaxed and the main card was entertaining.

Spong looked great, that was a good first MMA fight for him, but I would like to see how his ground game has progressed sooner than later.
Rumble's KO was great coming off the eye poke, I love a good "Timber!" KO.
NE-1
11/4/12 12:09:27PM
I only watched the Johnson, Spong, Arlovski, and Torres fights. I can't speak too much to the production of the entire show, but I don't think the match making was very good. The mismatches led to "exciting fights" because it allowed fighters to get finishes. (Excluding the Torres fight)

Arlovski with his notoriously glass jaw was standing in front of cole with his hands down using head movement. Sorry, but a fighter with a stiff jab could have capitalized on that. Spong's opponent didn't want to be there, he was fat and out of shape, not to mention ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED of Spong. At least put someone in there that wasn't scared to let his hands go. I wasn't too impressed with Linderman either, but atleast he was throwing back for the KO against Johnson
sparky
11/4/12 12:16:38PM
The fights themselves were good commentating reminded me of watching a WEC event so I wont complain but them not showing all the prelims online ruined it for me. Hopefully they come up with something to fix this before their next show.
jae_1833
11/4/12 12:55:09PM
I didn'r see any mismatches, Arlovski doesn't rate a fight much higher than Cole befor last night.....really even now he is like 3-4......who do you rate when the world is yelling at you to retire?!
Johnson is fighting the correct competition to as he is still in the process of reinventing himself at LHW, remember it was a year and a half ago that he was a WW! Overall my dvr served me well as I watched the fights this morning with coffee while the rest of the family slept in, now it's off to IHOP!!!
shaneTpain
11/4/12 1:31:24PM
I enjoyed it.
I was hoping to see an upset & Torres made sure of that
The Rumble & Arlovski KO's were worth staying awake for!
Nothing extremely spectacular but it'll definitely hold me over til next weeks UFC
jakewalters
11/4/12 2:17:10PM

Posted by cowcatcher

The whole event had the feeling of a Blackzillian smoker to me.

Yeah, I found it kind of odd that I saw like 15 commercials combined featuring Rumble, Rashad, Alistair, and Michael Johnson
Franklinfan47
11/4/12 2:47:27PM
Just watched the fights as I was out drinking last night. Some random thoughts:

-Lots of good finishes, not a bad start for WSOF. We've seen much worse debuts.

-War AA, happy to see him rebuild his career.

-Rumble looks massive at LHW, hard to believe he was once 170. Hed be interesting back in the UFC.

-Sponge is a beast, cant wait to see him again.

-I miss the old Torres. He was getting KTFO, but atleast the fans still wanted to see him.

-Lots of upsets on the prelims, but again, some good finishes. Bring on #2!