wrestling wat leg forwrd?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » wrestling wat leg forwrd?
danny81
11/18/07 2:24:12PM
i box with my left leg forward should i do the same with wrestling? its my first year and mycoach said to use my right leg forward.
hotrodttt
11/18/07 4:08:10PM
Yeah man what ever is comfortable for you, I have been wrestling for about 7 years and I put my right leg forward just to get a better shot, and it is easier to do my duck-walks like that. It also helps my sprawl.Good Luck to all you wrestlers this season! I have a Tournament in 2 weeks called Bare Bones so wish me luck. Hopefully I can stay undefeated!
11/18/07 6:25:16PM
i'm no expert, but listen to your coach.
danny81
11/18/07 6:46:25PM
i understand but my im talking bout for MMA. i mean i cant chnge legs if i wnt to shoot and then switch back again if i want to strike.
11/18/07 6:48:30PM
ohh ok, like i said im not an expert so i coulden't tell you.
ko-kbo130
11/18/07 9:26:43PM
learn to shoot off both feet. in order to be a complete wrestler your gunna need to how to shoot off both feet. personally i like my left leg foward for my singles/high crotches and my right leg foward on my power doubbles. but i can shoot any shot from either foot.
jomatty
11/19/07 7:16:09AM
in mma you are gonna have to have your left leg forward or box southpaw. in wrestling i would listen to your coach because its gonna sound really bad if you tell him you want to do it a different way because your gonna eventually be the next GSP or something.
Stickan
11/19/07 7:17:58AM
If your purpose of wrestling is to get into MMA and your normal fighting stance is orthodox i think you should wrestle with your left leg forward. It's very logical. You should prepare for what to come in MMA and by that you should train to apply your wrestling to MMA.
If your plan is to compete and have a career in wrestling as well you should just listen to your wrestling coach.
hunterlcs92
11/19/07 9:54:10AM

Posted by danny81

i box with my left leg forward should i do the same with wrestling? its my first year and mycoach said to use my right leg forward.

i fight left leg forward but i use my dominant right leg in wrestling. it gives you more power off your shots. the left leg makes me feel so much weaker.

so i say use the dominant leg
bayonetxwork
11/19/07 3:28:07PM

Posted by danny81

I'd say use your right leg forwards, gives you more power, but at the same time, practice both equally as much IMO. When you start training MMA(don't think you do yet from what I remember?) you gotta be able to shoot off of both because on double legs, you want to plant your knee inbetween their legs regardless of stances. So that means when going up against a southpaw, you gotta drive off your right leg in the front, and vice versa for an orthodox stance.
danny81
11/19/07 6:57:39PM
i box, wreslte, nd do BJJ, but i dont really do MMA ive never hd a fight or even sprred MMA rules yet
jiujitsufreak74
11/19/07 7:08:06PM
i honestly repeatedly switch stances while im standing up. i always alternate lead leg because i fell it throws my opponent off a bit and plus i have grown accustomed to both stances. however, for wrestling take downs, if you switch stances i think that is honestly retarded unless you periodically switch stances for striking because then you will be telegraphing that you are going for a take down which usually winds up with you eating a knee to the face. so my advice to you is this, if your dominant style for boxing is with the left leg forward (southpaw) and thats the stance you use to strike, then either get accustomed to striking with your right leg forward or learn to go for take downs with your left leg. again, best to switch stances and go for a take down with what ever leg feels the most natural so that you throw your opponent off guard and are still getting the best chance at a take down.