wrestling Questions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » wrestling Questions
danny81
7/9/07 9:05:03PM
1. i box with my left foot forward but can fight with the other and i wrestle with my right foot forward. should i learn to be dominant with my left foot forward and just be ok with my right foot forward for mma?

2. i saw a guy fight a NHB fight using the wrestling stance. is it ok to use the wrestling stance?

thanks
jgtribbett
7/9/07 10:39:46PM
now, i'm no pro. i've done one ammy fight and been wrestling since i was in 6th grade... not even the whole time..(i'm ok) i have the same problem. but,,, i havent found a bit of a problem with it. i wouldnt worry about it too much... also.... wrestling stance... maybe droping your hips a lil is ok but not a lot. you're kinda gonna be down and forward a lil with a good boxing stance anyhow.
Rush
7/9/07 11:32:43PM
1. IMO, you should be able to switch back and fourth. I lost count how many guys I tossed in judo because I switched to the unorthodox stance and they didn't know what to do.

That being said, you could work it into your game.

It's just an idea, but you can jab (left side forward) and step forward with a right hand (maybe and overhand) into your wrestling stance for a take down or clinch. I've no idea if it will work, but it's a thought.

2. I wouldn't stick to one stance. I would learn to switch back and forth. But that's just me.
danny81
7/10/07 12:13:24AM
alright i will learn to shoot both but should i stay with my right foot dominant? im a begginer at wrestling so it should be easy to become left dominant
Rush
7/10/07 11:03:11AM

Posted by danny81

alright i will learn to shoot both but should i stay with my right foot dominant? im a begginer at wrestling so it should be easy to become left dominant

In my opinion (since you are a beginner) now is the time to practice both sides. I've always done both sides in my 12 years of Jujutsu, judo and aikido and in some cases can do my 'off' side is actually stronger than my dominant side.
danny81
7/10/07 2:00:26PM
alright thanks.
SteedTheDeed
7/19/07 1:58:06PM

Posted by Rush

1. IMO, you should be able to switch back and fourth. I lost count how many guys I tossed in judo because I switched to the unorthodox stance and they didn't know what to do.

That being said, you could work it into your game.

It's just an idea, but you can jab (left side forward) and step forward with a right hand (maybe and overhand) into your wrestling stance for a take down or clinch. I've no idea if it will work, but it's a thought.

2. I wouldn't stick to one stance. I would learn to switch back and forth. But that's just me.

how the hell can you throw of your opposite foot, my god. Judo is hard enough without switching my stance.
Rush
7/19/07 2:00:30PM
You do both sides equally in training
SteedTheDeed
7/19/07 2:01:46PM
i just like suicide rolls because no one thinks about them.
tommyprairie
7/19/07 8:11:12PM
I would definitely work on both sides. As with all martial arts it helps to be able to be strong from all demensions to adjust to different opponents and if injured. Too many leg kicks may cause you to switch stance or a strong wrestler may cause you to want to lead with your leg you can protect better. My two cents