wrestling question

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » wrestling question
danny81
9/19/07 6:58:33PM
what is handfighting in wrestling? and what is aloud in it? slaps? pushes? etc.
Jang
9/19/07 8:00:09PM
As far as I know it's the battle for grip and control of the wrists/hands while standing. Usually at the beginning of a match.
loonytnt
9/20/07 12:14:52AM
trying not to let the other guy get a hold of you,you grab his arms, pull his hand of your neck, stuff like that
Svartorm
9/20/07 2:37:54AM
Right, its an aggressive, long range clinch meant to screw with someones positioning before you shoot for takedowns. It doesn't really come up much in MMA because its within striking range though, and you can't grab fingers or gloves. If you watch any ADCC or mat wrestling, you'll see tons of it.
danny81
9/20/07 1:20:42PM
so theres no pushing? or like knocking a hand away?
Rush
9/20/07 1:55:46PM

Posted by danny81

so theres no pushing? or like knocking a hand away?

You can tap the guy's head to distract him, but most of the handfighting involves smaller movements than pushing or knocking a hand out of the way (more like twisting and rolling the hands)
danny81
9/20/07 2:13:51PM
alright thanks.
Svartorm
9/20/07 10:23:42PM
Seriously, just throw on an ADCC fight and you'll see exactly what we're talking about.
ncordless
9/24/07 4:28:27PM
Handfighting is a term used to describe the actions used to achieve/avoid dominant position, usually when both oppoonents are standing. Things like wrist control, underhooks/overhooks, some level switches, controling an opponents center of balance and head control all fall under handfighting.

Smacking an opponents hand away, rolling a wrist that is being controlled to reverse position and control the wrist, swatting an opponents head with the goal of throwing them off balance or distracting for a shot, and even lifting an arm for a duck-under are all examples of handfighting.
jgtribbett
9/28/07 3:38:20PM

Posted by ncordless

Handfighting is a term used to describe the actions used to achieve/avoid dominant position, usually when both oppoonents are standing. Things like wrist control, underhooks/overhooks, some level switches, controling an opponents center of balance and head control all fall under handfighting.

Smacking an opponents hand away, rolling a wrist that is being controlled to reverse position and control the wrist, swatting an opponents head with the goal of throwing them off balance or distracting for a shot, and even lifting an arm for a duck-under are all examples of handfighting.

word... haha
its part of a progressive system of control
you get wrist control.. then an under hook(or fishhook or your preference) then head control.. (using your head or your hand to control the opponents head) then torso control (body lock or clinch). at any juncture of this progression you can use these control as set ups for takedowns or subs if they do flying armbars and shit.

check out the "randy couture: wrestling for fighting" book.
it has great info in it.

i was a wreslter and especially good (good for my area) in greco. that book has been great about helping re-aply my knowledge.. check it out
bayonetxwork
9/29/07 5:33:08PM
There all little things you can do to distract or even unbalance your opponent. Hand slaps, wrist control, cross faces, etc.
Mitchell740
10/4/07 11:07:29PM
I thought I might add in Folkstyle (American) wrestling slaps are allowed as long as you don't bring your hand back for momentum, and if it is not in their "face box" or pretty much just their face.
danny81
10/5/07 9:12:27PM
lol really so since im a boxer i can jab the guys with an open hand? as long as i dont crank it back. lol i can prolly knock some of these guys out with that lol.
szucconi
10/5/07 11:42:28PM

Posted by danny81

lol really so since im a boxer i can jab the guys with an open hand? as long as i dont crank it back. lol i can prolly knock some of these guys out with that lol.

I broke a guys nose like this in a wrestling match. I was useing my hand to cover his eyes for a breif moment so I could shoot and he lunged forward and smashed his face (ok maybe I pushed into him also). Blood came out. The ref called time and his trainer shoved some cotton in his nose and I won the match in OT. This was a huge upset for me and a rare in-county victory. I think you would get DQed if it were obvious that you were trying to hit him.