wrestling In mma?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » wrestling In mma?
danny81
10/13/07 5:48:13PM
what can you use from the 4 main types of wrestling for MMA.

Folk/collegiate?
Greco-Roman?
Freestyle?
Sumo?

thanks i appreciate it.
danny81
10/14/07 6:29:42PM
alright ill start it off

folk wrestling: good all around takedowns good ground control
freestyle: good takedowns and slams
greco roman: good takedowns and slams from the clinch
Mitchell740
10/14/07 7:59:21PM

Posted by danny81

what can you use from the 4 main types of wrestling for MMA.

Folk/collegiate?
Greco-Roman?
Freestyle?
Sumo?

thanks i appreciate it.

Greco, Folkstyle and Freestyle are pretty much the main types of wrestling. Sumo isn't very practical in MMA because it just involves getting low and throwing your opponent off balance, things you pick up froom the other three styles, and weight is the biggest factor in Sumo, more so than technique.

I would have to say for the 4th type it would be submission wrestling if you count it, or Sambo.
danny81
10/14/07 10:26:11PM
can you get anytihng out of the 4 that i lsited tho? i already know how you can use sambo.
Jackelope
10/15/07 3:21:24AM
I disagree with weight being the main factor in Sumo. I don't think very many people give sumo even anywhere near the credit it deserves. There have been plenty of dominant Sumo wrestlers who were outweighed in matches they won. Akebono obviously was a HUGE sumo wrestler who's MMA career didn't translate into much, but I still stand firm that there are things which could be learned from Sumo.

For example transfer of weight, controlling opponent's body mass, and explosiveness.

I think the most useful thing from Greco is the clinch, as MMA fighters have shown.

The typical folkstyle/collegiate wrestling is probably best for it's takedowns and the sprawl.

Anything else as far as ground control goes and garnering position I would say the average person could learn better from BJJ. Since in wrestling styles it's not the smartest thing to lay on your back.

Oh, and the last, and probably most important thing is that the best thing a wrestler brings to MMA is his work ethic as we've seen time, and time, and time, and time again. #1 best thing about wrestling.
NatedawgThaM
10/15/07 4:50:13PM

Posted by danny81

alright ill start it off

folk wrestling: good all around takedowns good ground control
freestyle: good takedowns and slams
greco roman: good takedowns and slams from the clinch

Thats basically it...

But Freestyle wrestling isn't really about control. The bottom opponents main job is to stall. Control isn't really improtant. In the olympic version theres a 15 second rule. Since it's not about control after 15 seconds of no scoring they stand you up. Mark Coleman specializes in this.

Grecco is about controlling form the clinch. Clinch takedowns and slams. Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Matt Lindland are the main practicionars of this. It's really great for MMA especially in the cage like for Randy, you pin them up against the cage to clinch and take or slam them down for Some GNP and control..

Sumo I believe is about balance and control?

Folk wrestling is more like the amaetur colligate style. The art of taking your opponent down and controlling him...
ulyoth187
10/15/07 5:57:49PM
what about catch-as-catch-can wrestling? that's what kazushi sakuraba does and he was beating up gracies since before it was cool.
NatedawgThaM
10/15/07 6:09:25PM

Posted by ulyoth187

what about catch-as-catch-can wrestling? that's what kazushi sakuraba does and he was beating up gracies since before it was cool.

I thought "catch-as-catch-can" wrestling was basically another name for Freestyle wrestling?

I think Josh Barrnet does catch wrestling as well...He dominates fools...
ulyoth187
10/15/07 6:17:14PM
catch wrestling is like pro-wrestling....but real. lot of flash, lot of pain.
irishxPro15
10/15/07 7:02:43PM
haha catch wrestling is like pro wrestling lmao
ulyoth187
10/15/07 7:20:04PM
well it inspired pro-wrestling at least.
jgtribbett
10/16/07 2:13:53PM
man, i'd say go to your local college or highschool.. ask to join the uswa freestyle and greco program... go to some practices a couple times a week and do some saturday tournies... its a lot of fun.. and you'll get good experience
danny81
10/17/07 4:27:56PM
i startd doing folk wrestling they dont jhave greco or freestyle around my area.
bluebeltphenom
10/24/07 12:23:13PM
Those are pretty much it, also folkstyle teaches you good base, and free style teaches you good hips, both teach good takedown defense too.
Mitchell740
10/24/07 3:23:12PM

Posted by danny81

i startd doing folk wrestling they dont jhave greco or freestyle around my area.

I didn't think so either, but I gaurantee unless you are over 100 miles away from a major city they most likely have somthing in your area.