Wrestler Finishes with 218-0 Career Record

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Wrestler Finishes with 218-0 Career Record
SIICmanSIIN
5/20/11 9:32:37AM
I don't know if anyone has seen this but there was a kid, Eric Grajales, from my hometown that ended his [URL="http://www.maxpreps.com/news/VoKoVVmmbEOleZQDlR1wwA/wrestler-finishes-with-218-0-career-record.htm"]H.S. career undefeated[/URL] in his weight class of 135. He is currently a Sophomore at [URL="http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/grajales_eric00.html"]Michigan[/URL] and is wrestling at 149 almost 15 pounds over his weight; I think he could be a force in the UFC under the correct training. What do you think of this kid?
postman
5/20/11 11:07:43AM
Yeah I have heard of him dosn't he have a brother thats pretty good as well? I think his family is friends with Bubba The Love Sponge and they were on the show or something and thats where I heard of him from. That is a impressive record anywhere but I'm not up on the level of competion in Fla compared to say Iowa or PA. He has the base to do well in mma it would just depend on how much dedication he would put into striking.
SIICmanSIIN
5/20/11 11:22:43AM
You're right. Bubba Army.
Budgellism
5/20/11 12:16:42PM
That's very impressive. I'd like to see him get into mma. 135 is lacking in the high caliber wrestling and he could probably do very well with his well established base.
Rabi
5/20/11 2:27:56PM
I think wreslting is argubly the best base to have coming into MMA, high quality wrestlers have also shown in the past that they are very quick to pick up other aspects of the fight game.
Pookie
5/20/11 2:39:58PM
He's a sophomore in college(20-21 years old) wrestling at 149, in HS he wrestled at 135.

I can guarantee you this kid gets bigger, he still has 3 to 4 phases of man strength growth that will fill out his frame.
Chael_Sonnen
5/20/11 5:11:23PM

Posted by Rabi

I think wreslting is argubly the best base to have coming into MMA, high quality wrestlers have also shown in the past that they are very quick to pick up other aspects of the fight game.

War wrestlers in MMA
ajp10k
5/20/11 7:33:20PM
If someone is wrestling up in college then that means they can't beat the guy at their weight class. Anyways he is still a good wrestling (just watched some matches) If he or most college wrestlers could pick up the stand-up game they have all the skills to be a good MMA figher.
papercut
5/20/11 8:16:05PM

Posted by ajp10k

If someone is wrestling up in college then that means they can't beat the guy at their weight class.

No offense but I have to disagree with this statement. If a person is wrestling above their weight class it usually means theres not enough of a challenge at their own. most wrestlers cut weight to wrestle. if you go a division up you have to work up to compete with the strength of the rest of the competitors.

A guy I went to high school with, Alex Polizzi, weighed 195 in high school but wrestled and qualified for state championships wrestling in the 215+ weight division undefeated his senior year. he then won state in 2010 and is currently enrolled at Northwestern.
BustedKnuckle
5/20/11 10:16:07PM
Regardless of where the kid is from that record is amazing! Not all talent pools are as deep as PA.......Why do you think Cale Sanderson went to Penn State..........for the recruting !!!!! Sorry for the rant but gotta love me some Pa wrestling.........best in the country! For sure the kid could break into MMA..........if he can deal with getting punched in the face. A lot of guys dont like it and wont persue it.
DeadHead988
5/21/11 1:48:16AM
Sorry to be a hater, but the last thing MMA needs is another wrestler.
ajp10k
5/21/11 11:12:24AM

Posted by papercut

Posted by ajp10k

If someone is wrestling up in college then that means they can't beat the guy at their weight class.

No offense but I have to disagree with this statement. If a person is wrestling above their weight class it usually means theres not enough of a challenge at their own. most wrestlers cut weight to wrestle. if you go a division up you have to work up to compete with the strength of the rest of the competitors.

A guy I went to high school with, Alex Polizzi, weighed 195 in high school but wrestled and qualified for state championships wrestling in the 215+ weight division undefeated his senior year. he then won state in 2010 and is currently enrolled at Northwestern.

Well Im not going to mention any names here but I saw people from my own wrestling team at HS have to move up because of a better person at their real weight. I know a man who wrestled 189 through out his HS career then had to go heavyweight to make the team for college. Ive seen alot more people move up in weight because they have to not because they want to.

PS Thats cool you went to HS with Polizzi
Coreytron
5/24/11 10:50:36AM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Regardless of where the kid is from that record is amazing! Not all talent pools are as deep as PA.......Why do you think Cale Sanderson went to Penn State..........for the recruting !!!!! Sorry for the rant but gotta love me some Pa wrestling.........best in the country! For sure the kid could break into MMA..........if he can deal with getting punched in the face. A lot of guys dont like it and wont persue it.

No way! Oklahoma wrestling is tops for sure
ajp10k
5/24/11 5:06:31PM
I agree! Penn as a state is number one for highschool though.
BustedKnuckle
5/25/11 11:28:56PM

Posted by Coreytron

Posted by BustedKnuckle

No way! Oklahoma wrestling is tops for sure

Sory bud but I am on point here. Iowa is a distant second....only because they recrute guys from PA. NY, near the state line near Erie to Olean, NY is catching on, but PA is the hot bed for wrestling. The UFC has proven it. Frankie Edgar is the UFC Lw champ and wrestled at Clarion U less then 45 mins from my fronty door. KOS wrestled even closer to me at Edinboro U. Watched both of these guys in college wrestle. Phil Davis is a PSU wrestling product. Cmon Pa is where it is at for wrestling in the USA!! Proud to proclaim it!!!

EDIT: I live in Warren PA.
Coreytron
5/28/11 4:27:50PM
I thought you were referring to high school wrestling.. I believe team OK is still the only team to beat team USA at the high school level.

Even so though, Oklahoma State is the most prestigious wrestling program in the nation hands down. Randy Couture, Don Frye, Mo Lawal, Daniel Cormier, Mark Munoz, Johny Hendricks, Rosholt brothers, Shane Roller..

I feel like there's more but I cant seem to think of them at the moment