Now i wouldnt want this but do u guys think its time for mirko to hang em up

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Now i wouldnt want this but do u guys think its time for mirko to hang em up
ultimatefighter33
9/9/07 4:28:35AM
i mean i wouldnt want to see him retire but its painful to watch him lose that guy is my idol but i would rather him go out a legend than a broken down hasbeen he doesnt look like he has it in him to fight anymore i wish crocop the best and i hope to see him on the winning side again soon
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
cowcatcher
9/9/07 4:42:52AM
hes not the CC i know and love, i dont even know what to think right now, but 5 shots to the nuts cant help. im just really hurt right now, CC is too good for this and i cant believe it happened. charge ahead and put pressure on=beating CC in the octagon, sad but true. hes still a great fighter, apparently the ring is his home though, and the octagon is not good for him. WTF, i hurt inside because of this, cmill where are you to cheer me up somehow.
mrsmiley
9/9/07 7:22:59AM
I was afraid this would happen.He's lost the will to fight I belive.I think what happen to him is what he did to Igor Vorchanzin.After those brutal head kicks,they both went a little soft.CC has nothing to be ashamed of though.He's made his money and had a good career.He should go out now.If he fights again I would say give him Heath Herring again.
Mastodon2
9/9/07 8:10:29AM
I think he needs to call it in. He has had a fantastic run in these last 11 years, but I think he no longer has the will to kill.

He gave a lacklustre performance at best last night, which imo should have been a draw, due to Kongo's repeated low blows and John not penalising Kongo, but that wasn't the Cro Cop we used to know.

Right throughout his K-1 and Pride Career, he was on fire, espescially once he got to Pride. He was a man on a mission, he knew that sooner or later he would come up against Fedor, but until that point he just had to destroy everyone in his path, which he did, to almost everyone. Even when Randleman KO'd him, 3 weeks later he was in the ring again, fighting at a Bushido event to get back on track. He then went on an 8 fight run, until finally being stopped by Fedor. Beating the Russian and being the Pride champ was all he cared about.

Up until the dissolution of Pride earlier this year, Cro Cop still firmly believed he would stand in the ring with Fedor again. Even when he first signed with UFC, he said that he would fight his 6 fights very quickly and then fight Fedor in Pride's New Years Eve show. Unfortunately Pride went under, and that was the moment that Cro Cop knew that stopped caring.

Sure in 2006 he was a monster, he tore through the 2006 OWGP, and annihilated Wanderlei like no one has done before, or since, or probably ever again. He was angry, Wanderlei was talking trash, and Cro Cop planned to retire if he lost. And to top it off, it was his birthday. So he had plenty of incentive to get in that ring and start KO'ing people, and he did it. But even the accolade of the Pride 2006 OWGP winner status wasn't enough, and he still wanted the Fedor rematch.

Fastforward to the Gabriel Gonzaga fight, the first fight where Cro Cop looked like he was just turning up to get his cash and go home. He ended up getting taken down and GnP'd by Gonzaga, this is Cro Cop, who has fought, sprawled away from, and beaten guys like Barnett, Coleman and Waterman. He never made any silly mistakes against those guys, but he threw a mid kick, which wasn't exactly stealthy, and Gonzaga grabbed it and took him down.

The stand up that followed was equally dire, with Cro Cop getting KO'd via a head kick, the irony was painful, but what was worse was the fact that Cro Cop didn't stop the kick. It was a huge, slow, ugly kick that only has power because of Gonzaga's weight. The Filipovic we used to know would have punished someone for trying a kick like that, but unfortunately, against GG, and Kongo last night, it just looks like Cro Cop has lost the fire and striking savy that helped him get wins over guys like Le Banner, Aerts, Musashi, Hunt etc, the best strikers in the world. The decline in Cro Cop's skill and more importantly, will is evident when he puts out crap performances like the one he gave against Kongo.

I'm just at a loss to see why it all went wrong last night. It's like this amazing training squad that Cro Cop put together was for nothing. For everything that he could and should have learned about the clinch (from Bonjasky) and facing an aggressive opponent (Yvel) he seemed to have nothing new. He didn't attack much from the clinch, infact his clinch seems non-existent these days, even though he used it to beat Peter Aerts back in the day, who is a dedicated Muay Thai fighter, so Mirko can't have been that bad at it, but now its just gone. The only thing he tried that was out of the ordinary was an axe kick, but he has been able to do them for years, and it missed anyway.

The fact that there was nothing new to game however, shouldn't have been a problem. Since 2001, he has done the same thing in every fight, and few have ever been able to stop it. In 2007, I don't think Cro Cop's losses as a case of his opponent's figuring his style out either; the methods of beating Cro Cop seem obvious, and they have done for years, because he is a stand up fighter, with a decent sprawl but almost no ground ability. When Cro Cop wanted to, he could beat anyone, except Fedor, and getting caught by Nogueira in a fight he was winning, but when Cro Cop wanted to win he was almost unstoppable.

Every day Fedor bobbles about not signing is another day that Mirko gives less and less of a damn about getting into the cage again. I don't think Mirko cares about the UFC HW belt, or beating Randy, he only wanted to beat the best. He wanted Fedor and he wanted the Pride HW belt. He will never get it now. Pride is gone and I think Cro Cop will be too before Fedor ever signs. Besides, since Cro Cop has been so indifferent about fighting for months now, if Fedor ever did sign, Cro Cop would have some serious catching up to do to get his skills back on track to have a chance of winning the rematch. He could win though, he has it in him. Cro Cop's problem is that his mind has shut off his almost unlimited potential. There is no doubt in my mind that Cro Cop has the tools to beat anyone in the UFC HW right now, maybe even Fedor in a rematch, but I guess we will never know, because he just doesn't have the passion anymore.

Cro Cop is my hero, so this is a very sad time for me. What I learned from the example Cro Cop led by was that by utilising your personal skills, and exploiting what you are good at, you can beat them at their own game, and this is such a good lesson, its something everyone should know and live by. Cro Cop never was an MMA fighter, he is and was a kickboxer of fantastic calibre, who, for the most part, tooled MMA fighters under their rules.

It's a tough time for Cro Cop fans indeed, but if he called it quits tomorrow, I'd still remember him as one of the greatest fighters to have ever lived.

lilz_gangsta
9/9/07 10:07:33AM
im afraid the ufc isnt for cro=cop because to be good in he ufc u have to be very well rounded and cro-cop just isnt at that level anymore
SpiderSilva
9/9/07 11:37:45AM
After his contract runs out I see CC making a b line for the ropes of K-1
sakurabaforever
9/9/07 1:39:53PM
You guys are CC fans!? You should be ashamed! Sure CC has had some bad showings in the UFC, but he is still potentially the greatest HW. Obviously "potentially" doesn't mean that much right now, but it could.

I don't want to see him retire. Not like this. UFC fans think he is some kind of washed up joke. This is not the way to retire.

CC always wanted to fight the best. GG and Kongo are not those people, he's not gonna be motivated. Give him Nog. I'm sure he wants to avenge that loss almost as much as to Fedor. And he'll have confidence going in there...he was demolishing Nog until he slipped on water in his corner and got subbed (back when his ground game was not where it is now).

After taking out Nog give him Couture for the hell of it with Fedor on the horizon. I think CC would give it his all for these last fights, taking out Couture for the belt and then facing Fedor in the biggest match of all time, Pride vs UFC unification bout. CC puts it all on the line...and wins. And retires. This is how I want the greatest striker in the history of MMA to retire.

I don't know how many of you play sports or whatever, it's not unusual to lose to people who aren't as good as you simply because they are not that good...you don't do your best. But against someone who is about the same level or better, you have to do your best and can win. I think CC is the same. Against Nog and Fedor we might see some of the old CC.

Mastodon2
9/9/07 2:00:49PM
I'm a huge Cro Cop fan, he is my favourite fighter, but I'm not going to delude myself. He still has it in him to beat Fedor, but I don't think he cares about Randy or the UFC belt. He only ever wanted to beat Fedor and be remembered as the best, and I think now he knows that its becoming more and more unlikely that he will ever get the chance to fight Fedor again, which is why he looks like he isn't even trying in his fights anymore.
cmill21
9/9/07 2:08:55PM
I just think he knows that he has so so so much to lose if he gets hurt. He's not like all the other fighters, he's not just a fighter, he's a husband a father a police officer a politian a pro soccer player and then a fighter, thats not even mentioning his acting seminars, ect. This is not rampage who needs to fight to eat, Mirko used to fight for glory, now he looks like he doesn't care, like it's a chore, like he has to. I would like to see him and the UFC agree to something where he can go back to K-1 if he wants to continue fighting, I'd like to see him return to kickboxing, but heros would be ok, he's said he doesn't want feel all the hits he's taken when he's 40, 50, 60 he wants to be able to run and play with his grand kid's(interview was a week before the fight).
Mastodon2
9/9/07 2:14:04PM
I heard about him getting signed by a football team and even saw this photo thrown about...

But it doesnt look like him, his hair line is too far back and he looks far too skinny, too skinny even to be 96 Mirko "Tigar" Filipovic.

Did he ever play any matches? Score any goals?
sakurabaforever
9/9/07 2:42:45PM

Posted by cmill21

I just think he knows that he has so so so much to lose if he gets hurt. He's not like all the other fighters, he's not just a fighter, he's a husband a father a police officer a politian a pro soccer player and then a fighter, thats not even mentioning his acting seminars, ect. This is not rampage who needs to fight to eat, Mirko used to fight for glory, now he looks like he doesn't care, like it's a chore, like he has to. I would like to see him and the UFC agree to something where he can go back to K-1 if he wants to continue fighting, I'd like to see him return to kickboxing, but heros would be ok, he's said he doesn't want feel all the hits he's taken when he's 40, 50, 60 he wants to be able to run and play with his grand kid's(interview was a week before the fight).

Sounds like Rocky in Rocky III...has so much to lose. But then he finds the "eye of the tiger" again and realizes he can still be the best. Then there's Rocky 4...and Drago/Fedor....

I still believe in CC and will be a fan forever, win, lose, draw, he's the man.
cmill21
9/9/07 3:06:27PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I heard about him getting signed by a football team and even saw this photo thrown about...

But it doesnt look like him, his hair line is too far back and he looks far too skinny, too skinny even to be 96 Mirko "Tigar" Filipovic.

Did he ever play any matches? Score any goals?

He played for HNK Cibalina, it wasn't that long ago I believe 2005. I don't know his stats but I know he played, not sure if he still is. That pic is not him playing soccer though lol.
gamez0932
9/9/07 4:29:07PM
yeah i think he needs to too... its obvious that knockout affected him,its better for him to go out as a fan favorate and salvage his pride.
fedorwins1
9/9/07 5:01:57PM
Sadly...Yes, he's lost the drive.
Pitbull09
9/9/07 5:28:04PM
I was jsut going to make a topic about this. Though I wish he couldve made it into the UFC, Im afraid to say he should. He moved to the UFC to fight lower competition and he even to old for that, not to mention Pride fighters are coming over here.

Sorry CC
loonytnt
9/10/07 12:26:57AM
if he dont wanna fight dont if he does then get it back in your heart
Mastodon2
9/10/07 7:13:23AM
The development of the broken rib changes everything!

That certainly would explain the lacklustre performance, any kind of rib injury is crippling; BJ was dominating Matt Hughes until he got a separated rib, Shogun broke Rampage's ribs and Rampage never even got out of the starting blocks. Cro Cop managed to go another 2 rounds, its an achievement to have even survived!

Since, imo, this changes everything, I recant my belief that Cro Cop needs to retire. This fight is a write off. Its a bad mark on his record, but since he got a broken rib in the first round, anyone with a bit of common sense, or anyone who knows what its like to take a hard body shot (not even a rib breaker) will know that it can ruin a fight for you. Therefore, this fight is imo, not indicative of where Cro Cop is in his career, which is great news, its not over yet!

The bad news is, now we will have to wait a few more months before we see how Cro Cop really changed after the GG fight!
sakurabaforever
9/10/07 11:47:03AM
5 knees to the groin doesn't help either. Should have been ruled a NC. CC is a warrior for continuing. I'm sure the first 1 or 2 were probably accidental. The rest looked extremely blatant. A point deduction would have ruled a draw as well.

That all being said, CC still did not look anywhere near his old self in Round 1. Which just goes to show, Kongo really isn't that good. He should have been able to finish CC. And obviously a 100% CC would have destroyed him.
Gladiator
9/10/07 12:04:25PM
apparently he got a broken rib in round 1. and if u have ever broken a rib u know how hard it is to do anything, it really constricts ur breathing and it is very painful. sure explains why he dominated round 1 and then kept retreating the rest of the fight.
warglory
9/10/07 12:34:06PM
Sucks we have to wait probably another 3 months to really find out the truth.
Rush
9/10/07 1:29:17PM
I think CC still has one or two fights on his contract.

I really would like to see him fight more. For some reason I feel saddened when I see him lose. It's not because I am the biggest CC fan out there, but I have a level of respect for him that I don't have for any other fighter.

I want to see him come back and stay a while.

Do you guys think it would be good for him to rematch Gonzaga or Kongo and get those demons out of him or does he really need to fight Nog or Fedor?

I think Herring is not a good fight for him. If his problem is emotion/drive, then he needs to take a fight that will get him fired up.
nubby
9/10/07 1:33:39PM
Can someone please post vids of the five ballshots? I have the video on my hardrive and have watched it a few times now and I can't count more than 2 shots to the nuts. I think I can see where you guys might think they were nutshots but upclose and slow motion shows them as hitting above the nuts or hitting the leg. Again please show me these 5 nutshots.
sakurabaforever
9/10/07 2:01:22PM
I'm too lazy to post the gifs, but they're all over sherdog forums.

1 obvious one in the first round.

3 in a row right before the warning (there's a slow-mo gif on sherdog, so you can see they all hit directly).

there's one more somewhere, but it is possible it was a little off. So FOUR directly to the groin, one more possibly. Either way, thats too many!!!
Mastodon2
9/10/07 6:43:55PM
As anyone who actually has a pair knows, even what looks like a near miss can be devastatingly painful; a glancing blow can hurt just as much, if not more, as a full on shot in the balls at times, and imo glancing blows create of that sick feeling in your stomach than a full shot. Even the ones that don't directly hammer right into the baby Cro Cop factory cant be helping him get his breath back!
cmill21
9/10/07 7:07:36PM
Something else to add to the kongo fouls: the axe kick to the body on the ground....it was illegal: The UFC rules clearly state that stomping a downed opponent is forbidden. Now the axe kick is a stomping motion, so should that not be another foul? Just thought I'd throw that out and get some feedback.
fullfighting
9/10/07 7:58:42PM
I don't know if he needs to completely leave fighting, but the UFC is not where he should be. He needs to go somewhere else he's been bad in the UFC and he won't be able to get a tune up fight in the UFC. Honestly he needs to fight some lower end guys and get his confidence back. He can make a lot of money teaching other people how to fight if he has lost his will to fight.
cmill21
9/10/07 8:27:49PM
I think if you take away the broken rib and the illegal shots he looked pretty good. He's definetly got talent, just as much as he always had, maybe more since he's developing the ground game. I really think he needs to go back to his bread and butter, take 2 months off to heal and a full 6 to train and come back like the Mirko we all know and love.