Is it worth it

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is it worth it
Sledge23
12/9/08 12:52:03PM
If GSP wins he keeps his belt, and bj keeps his too, but if gsp loses, bj has both.
is it worth it for GSP to take this chance
grappler0000
12/9/08 1:01:40PM

Posted by Sledge23

If GSP wins he keeps his belt, and bj keeps his too, but if gsp loses, bj has both.

Well, he wants to fight the best, so I believe it is. Not to mention, he can lose his belt anytime he defends it...so I don't think this situation is any different for him.
Sledge23
12/9/08 1:14:18PM
Yeah the way it should be, if your the title holder every fightyou have should be for the belt
but BJ isnt he has a belt but cant lose it.
is there not a way to make the fight for both belts, like silva henderson fight
grappler0000
12/9/08 1:20:32PM

Posted by Sledge23

Yeah the way it should be, if your the title holder every fightyou have should be for the belt
but BJ isnt he has a belt but cant lose it.
is there not a way to make the fight for both belts, like silva henderson fight

Not with two different weight-classes involved.
Sledge23
12/9/08 1:30:01PM
Can it not be catch weight
or does a title have to be at a true weight
Hendo67
12/9/08 2:04:03PM
I have no problem with this fight, the only problem i have is it's for a title. The UFC should have made this a "superfight", a nice five rounder.

The reason i don't think it should be for the title is because Bj has a full 155 division, that he hasn't really beat yet. Yes he beat Sherk and Stevenson, but there are others who are up and coming in that division as well. Bj is 1-2 at WW, and hardly deserves a shot at the title.
If Bj beats GSP, though...i don't think it will happen. That means that he holds two titles, one in 155, the other in 170. This can be a problem, will Bj jump up to 170 and vacate the 155? or will it be the other way around? I don't see the logic.

How many times will Bj fight? especially with constant weight gains, and weight cuts it's going to be hard for him to defend both titles. He barely fights as it is, let alone him holding the title in two classes.

It may just be me, i don't get why it's a title shot and not a superfight.
aaa9erh8er
12/9/08 4:46:51PM
ui agree 100% it shouldnt be a title fight its useless exactly like you siad whats the poin of one man hold the title in two classes. awnser none no point ot it. i think it would have been just as marcetable and both guys keep there respective belts they both earned them. hmmm i see gsp keeping his blet and a sad day for bj fans
nickcuc547
12/9/08 4:57:00PM

Posted by Sledge23

worth just as much as any other title fight for him, by your logic all title fights are taking a chance then.
EvenFlow
12/9/08 5:45:12PM
He would lose to Thiago Alves anyway so why not lose it to a p4p great like BJ.

JimiMak
12/9/08 6:11:05PM
How could the fight be at 170 AND be for BJ's 155 belt? Esp since GSP has no plans of ever going down to 155 How is that even a question?

GSP has a really good chance, but most likely you'll be seeing BJ defending both belts for a long time.
bls1919
12/9/08 6:21:42PM
maybe GSP doesn't get the belt but BJ losses his grip on the belt and there is a title fight for the LW belt(without BJ) and the BJ has to came back and take his belt back from........ Florian?
JimiMak
12/9/08 8:08:23PM

Posted by bls1919

maybe GSP doesn't get the belt but BJ losses his grip on the belt and there is a title fight for the LW belt(without BJ) and the BJ has to came back and take his belt back from........ Florian?

This makes more sense than most op's I've read on it being for both belts, but I don't see how losing in a diff weight category should effect his 155 belt.
mattjonesy
12/10/08 12:24:57PM
to be honest i would rather see alves vs gsp and florain vs penn i think both make for more entertaing fights than i would like to see penn vs gsp . So no i dont think its worth it for gsp when he could go up a weight and fight silva for the title
Diamondback2
12/10/08 2:03:55PM
the thing to remember is the athletic commision would not let it be five rounds unless it's for a belt.

you cannot make it for both belts because:
WW is 170-184
LW is 155-169.

In a non title fight u can miss by 1lb so it would be possible.
In a title fight you cannot miss at all so it woudnt work.

And i do not think ANYONE wants to see this as a 3 round fight

I think its a bum deal for GSP, He finally gets his belt back, beats Jon Fitch now he has BJ!

But a champion should take on any challange and so it's the right thing to do. Think about it if he wins and wins his next one, he will have beat (in order): Matt Serra, Fitch, BJ, Alves! it will for sure shoot him into the Top 2 P4P IMO and will be almost as amazing a title run as A Silva's currently is.

like i said though, another day in the life of a champion
Pookie
12/10/08 2:16:19PM

Posted by Diamondback2

WW is 170-184
LW is 155-169.

LW is 146 - 155
WW is 156 - 170
MW is 171 - 185
jocka
12/10/08 2:17:07PM

Posted by Diamondback2

the thing to remember is the athletic commision would not let it be five rounds unless it's for a belt.

WW is 170-184
LW is 155-169.

am not sure if am reading it wrong but aint lw 146-155 and ww 156-170 ?

But i have to agree that if you want to be the champ you need to fight the best so there you go GSP is the man
EvenFlow
12/10/08 2:20:08PM
If this is for both belts I now have zero doubt that BJ will win.
Diamondback2
12/10/08 2:23:54PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by Diamondback2

WW is 170-184
LW is 155-169.

am not sure if am reading it wrong but aint lw 146-155 and ww 156-170 ?

But i have to agree that if you want to be the champ you need to fight the best so there you go GSP is the man

yea iw as most defintly wrong about that. should't be typing msg's 5 mins after i wake up i guess

WW is 156-170
LW if 146-155

I stand corrected, thanks guys!