Worst Situation ever for Fedor Fans

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Worst Situation ever for Fedor Fans
RandyCouture
7/22/09 9:55:59PM
We all know that people like to bash on how fedor is not worthy of the #1 pound for pound slot and he may not be, but now we have to wait even longer to see fedor fight some actual competition. If he fights vitor or tito or Igor they will all be huge underdogs therefore people will still not believe that he is a crazy dominate fighter.
postman
7/22/09 10:59:03PM
Sounds more like its Fedors problem not his fans. I think its funny you have Randy in your name Brock as your AV and are this worried about Fedor. You must love the HW division. HAHAHA JK JK just bustin balls.
cmill21
7/22/09 11:40:51PM
We just saw Fedor fight actual comp. Quit listening to your camp leader(jk tuvok).
RandyCouture
7/23/09 5:53:14PM
Arlovski is not considered top competition until he proves to me that he still has heart and does get knocked out with his glass jaw
pv3Hpv3p
7/23/09 8:42:19PM

Posted by RandyCouture

Arlovski is not considered top competition until he proves to me that he still has heart and does get knocked out with his glass jaw

C'mon... AA was on a 5 fight winning streak coming into the Fedor fight (Cruz, Werdum, OBrien, Rothwell, Nelson)... Everyone and their mothers considered him an at least top 10 heavy, if not top 5...
The_Ho_Bag
7/23/09 9:07:00PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by RandyCouture

C'mon... AA was on a 5 fight winning streak coming into the Fedor fight (Cruz, Werdum, OBrien, Rothwell, Nelson)... Everyone and their mothers considered him an at least top 10 heavy, if not top 5...

im havin the same argument with youtube gangsters , lol its like talking to brick wall they just dont understand, also having a fight about people saying Lashley would beat Yvel.
pv3Hpv3p
7/23/09 9:24:11PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by RandyCouture

im havin the same argument with youtube gangsters , lol its like talking to brick wall they just dont understand, also having a fight about people saying Lashley would beat Yvel.

lol... You know what they say

Please lord forgive me
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
cmill21
7/23/09 9:52:17PM

Posted by RandyCouture

I'll let him know.
DevonFoxy
7/23/09 10:40:04PM
I love how Fedor never gets the benefit of the doubt. Everyone was commenting on how AA was Fedor's "toughest test yet" and "the guy with all the tools to beat him" and now people say he's not even top 5. I never thought for a second AA was going to beat Fedor but still a loss to Fedor and then getting caught by a young gun in Rogers isn't the end of the world for AA.

Is anyone honestly getting sick of Affliction for not announcing who Fedor is facing and just taking there sweet time. I know they are dealing with a lot but I'm sick and tired of the whose gonna fight Fedor situation. I honestly thing they are dragging it out to get as much publicity they can off it to try and sell more tickets. If it does in fact end up being Vitor I clearly think they were just letting fans guess to build suspense.....a tactic that will soon fail in my opinion. I suppose I'm just frustrated with Barnett being out but Affliction so far hasn't handled this situation well at all.
pv3Hpv3p
7/23/09 11:56:58PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I love how Fedor never gets the benefit of the doubt. Everyone was commenting on how AA was Fedor's "toughest test yet" and "the guy with all the tools to beat him" and now people say he's not even top 5. I never thought for a second AA was going to beat Fedor but still a loss to Fedor and then getting caught by a young gun in Rogers isn't the end of the world for AA.

Is anyone honestly getting sick of Affliction for not announcing who Fedor is facing and just taking there sweet time. I know they are dealing with a lot but I'm sick and tired of the whose gonna fight Fedor situation. I honestly thing they are dragging it out to get as much publicity they can off it to try and sell more tickets. If it does in fact end up being Vitor I clearly think they were just letting fans guess to build suspense.....a tactic that will soon fail in my opinion. I suppose I'm just frustrated with Barnett being out but Affliction so far hasn't handled this situation well at all.

To be realistic, I don't think it's as easy as that to find a sutable replacement to fight the GOAT of mma... they already said that Vitor is the default option, and I honestly think that they'll let the fans know as soon as they do...

And you know what they say, "there's no such thing as bad press", right?
mrsmiley
7/24/09 6:34:09PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

No kidding.
First it's he's not fighting top competition.Then they're negating how good guys like AA really are.
Even if he beat Brock,Mir,Randy,etc outside of the UFC,then they would say it's only because it wasn't in a cage.
slapshot
7/25/09 3:15:22AM

Posted by RandyCouture

We all know that people like to bash on how fedor is not worthy of the #1 pound for pound slot .

I dont think Ive seen anyone "bash" on him or say he's not in the p4p running, I think your being a bit dramatic.
hippysmacker
7/25/09 3:43:24AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by RandyCouture

We all know that people like to bash on how fedor is not worthy of the #1 pound for pound slot .

I dont think Ive seen anyone "bash" on him or say he's not in the p4p running, I think your being a bit dramatic.

I agree, I haven't seen it being a problem on the playground, as I only see a occasionally scattereed random pos. I don't have him ranked P4P # 1 , but I do think he's the best HVY and MMA fighter on the planet.Still since I don't rank him P4P # 1 am I bashing him?
There will always be a small number of people that just want to argue, hug nuts, or hate on something. I just ignore the extremist myself. They don't really care what anyone else has to say, as they only want to force their opinion on you, and aren't even considering yours wit an open mind.
deezyo
8/1/09 12:58:13AM
a freak accident
raymurda
8/5/09 12:52:53AM
AA is a beast in the stand up and proved it against fedor. he landed some nice shots and made a big mistake, his fault. im not bashing fedors comp im upset he didnt settle for the UFC. fedor vs lesnar is not just a great fight for us hard core fans, its a fight that catapaults MMA into the main stream even more. im tired of hearing floyd mayweather trash MMA and wanted to see the BEST of the BEST under one roof throwing down.

if you all wana see fedor lose watch his fight against arona. he was dominated on the ground and was taken down at will yet still won some how? kinda BS IMO.
AchillesHeel
8/5/09 10:28:53AM

Posted by RandyCouture

[...]but now we have to wait even longer to see fedor fight some actual competition. If he fights vitor or tito or Igor they will all be huge underdogs therefore people will still not believe that he is a crazy dominate fighter.

I'm sort of reposting from another thread, which is bad etiquette, but this idea that Fedor can only fight top competition in the UFC is just making me freakin' insane. I expect better of MMA Playgrounders. We're not "UFCPlayground.com" are we?

"Vitor, Tito or Igor"? What the..? In Strikeforce, Fedor can, and probably will, fight Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and Alistair Overeem. We've also recently learned that Strikeforce and Dream will be doing some cross-promotional shows, so we'll probably get to see Fedor take on Jeff Monson and Sergei Kharitonov, and perhaps Josh Barnett. A rematch with Arlovski shouldn't be out of the question, either. That's three years of good fights right there. Meanwhile, there are two UFC fighters that I'd like to see Fedor fight before, or in addition to, those I've mentioned.

Also, anybody will be an underdog against Fedor, and anyone who doesn't agree that Fedor is a "crazy-dominant" fighter either doesn't follow the sport or is lying.
slapshot
8/5/09 12:43:49PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I'm sort of reposting from another thread, which is bad etiquette, but this idea that Fedor can only fight top competition in the UFC is just making me freakin' insane. I expect better of MMA Playgrounders. We're not "UFCPlayground.com" are we?

Why, its the truth. If you think there is "top competition" anywhere else right now you are deluding yourself. So Strikeforce has three fighters they think would draw attention but none of them are exciting challenges for Fador and all three should be beat handily.

Point blank talented heavyweights are far and few between and the UFC has rounded up most of the best prospects and established vets. There are no challenges for Fador in strikeforce or anywhere else for that matter.

Maybe we should be UFCplayground.com when it comes down to it the UFC is still the most dynamic promotion and has 95% of the best professional fighters in the world. Even if you combined all the other orginizations there is still not enough talent to compete or even come close.

Every heavyweight other than Fador that is still relevant in MMA is in the UFC, thats not nuthugging thats just a fact and its going to get harder to be relevant without fighting there as well.

Dont get me wrong I love simi-pro football teams and my favorite Hockey team is the Spokane chiefs, a junior hockey league team but you still cant beat watching the pro's and right now the UFC is the only true professional MMA promotion. Yes these other org's have a few shining stars the could absolutely be in the UFC and I love to watch them but every time I do it still feels like Im watching a simi-pro or amateur sporting event (not that thats bad) and even the WEC has that almost but not quite feel to it and I attribute it to the differences in presentation, skill level of the fighters and simply that these promotions haven't matured yet and are still growing.
AchillesHeel
8/5/09 3:57:36PM

Posted by slapshot

Why, its the truth. If you think there is "top competition" anywhere else right now you are deluding yourself.

I suspect you're just baiting me, but since since discussing MMA is the reason we're all here, and I have some time to kill, I'll go ahead and bite.

Posted by slapshot

So Strikeforce has three fighters they think would draw attention but none of them are exciting challenges for Fador and all three should be beat handily.

I think Fedor should beat anyone, perhaps not handily, so that's neither here nor there, and an "exciting challenge" is in the eye of the beholder. If you're not interested in seeing Fedor fight Josh Barnett, Jeff Monson, Andrei Arlovski, or Alistair Overeem, that's your loss and nothing more. However, if you think those four guys represent a lesser challenge than Brock Lesnar, Randy Couture, Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez, I'll have to ask what's in that pipe you're smoking.

Posted by slapshot

Point blank talented heavyweights are far and few between and the UFC has rounded up most of the best prospects and established vets.

I agree that the UFC has some excellent prospects, and they're actually one reason I'm glad the UFC didn't get Fedor. I'm genuinely not interested in seeing Fedor crush the spirits of Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, and Junior Dos Santos. I'm much more interested in seeing them fight each other.

Posted by slapshot

There are no challenges for Fador in strikeforce or anywhere else for that matter.

I disagree that there aren't any challenges for Fedor, although I agree that Fedor would be the favorite against anybody, right now and for the foreseeable future.

Posted by slapshot

Maybe we should be UFCplayground.com when it comes down to it the UFC is still the most dynamic promotion and has 95% of the best professional fighters in the world. Even if you combined all the other orginizations there is still not enough talent to compete or even come close.

Every heavyweight other than Fador that is still relevant in MMA is in the UFC, thats not nuthugging thats just a fact and its going to get harder to be relevant without fighting there as well.

I know you don't like to base your opinions on the available evidence , so let's see what we can dig up on your behalf...

Bloody Elbow's composite rankings, whatever methodologies their contributors use, place 11 of the Top 20 heavyweights in the UFC, and 5 in the Top 10.

Fight Matrix's opaque ratings system places 12 UFC Heavyweights in the Top 20, and 6 in the Top 10. Of course, they say Gegard Mousasi is a top 10 heavyweight too...

You should probably stay away from MMA Elo scores altogether. They give the UFC only 7 Top-20 Heavyweights, if you're looking strictly at scores, with 3 in the Top 10 (one of whom is Chris Tuscherer). For my own purposes, I use a combination of the fighters' Elo scores and Strength of Schedule scores. That results in the UFC getting 8 Top-20 Heavyweights and 3 in the Top 10 (and Tuscherer dropping to #22).

The Lightweight rankings from Bloody Elbow, Fight Matrix and MMA-Elo look worse for the UFC than their Heavyweight rankings, with the UFC having no more than ½ of the Top-20 and Top-10 lightweights.

The UFC does a little better on the Middleweight lists than on the Heavyweight lists. They have about the same number of Top-20 guys (10 or 12), but more Top-10 guys (6 or 7).

Unsurprisingly, the UFC is clearly the place to be for Light-Heavyweights, with 15, 16, and 17 of the Top 20 guys on those three rankings lists, and 8 or 9 of the Top 10.

Finally, you're claiming, in no uncertain terms, that a Bantamweight or Featherweight fighter is innately inferior, simply because they're a Bantamweight or Featherweight fighter.

So out of the 7 common weight classes, I'd say you're correct about 1 of them. If you were a pro baseball player, you'd have to be a pitcher, because your batting average would be about .143.
emfleek
8/5/09 4:00:58PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

If you were a pro baseball player, you'd have to be a pitcher, because your batting average would be about .143.

This could quite possibly be the best thing EVER posted on MMAPlayground.com!

slapshot
8/5/09 8:24:56PM

Posted by AchillesHeel
I suspect you're just baiting me, but since since discussing MMA is the reason we're all here, and I have some time to kill, I'll go ahead and bite.

Not bating you at all, its a fact. There are no fighters outside the UFC that have a chance at beating Fedor and the best heavyweight division is the UFC's now that Affliction is dead any debate about it should probably be over.

Posted by AchillesHeel
I think Fedor should beat anyone, perhaps not handily, so that's neither here nor there, and an "exciting challenge" is in the eye of the beholder. If you're not interested in seeing Fedor fight Josh Barnett, Jeff Monson, Andrei Arlovski, or Alistair Overeem, that's your loss and nothing more. However, if you think those four guys represent a lesser challenge than Brock Lesnar, Randy Couture, Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez, I'll have to ask what's in that pipe you're smoking.

Josh Barnett? The guy that's not going to be able to find a athletic commission to license him, that Barnett?

Jeff Monson, would get walked over and left the UFC after he couldn't cut it

Andrei Arlovski, was already beat by Fedor and TBH I dont think they will ever fight again even if fans wanted to see it even though they dont.

Alistair Overeem, only excitement there is guessing in what round his head comes off, it might sound like Im being a smart ass but Im not. I would watch this one though Overeem has improved a lot.

Once you take Barnett out of the equation ( and you do have to take him out, no license and odds are long he will get one again at least in the US.) Id say the UFC fighters are much more challenging, but hay at least Im smoking a pipe and not a pole like someone would have to be doing to say there's not a higher level of compitition in the UFC than out.

Posted by AchillesHeel
I disagree that there aren't any challenges for Fedor, although I agree that Fedor would be the favorite against anybody, right now and for the foreseeable future.

Faith based belief never interests me however I think there are good fighters that would give Fador a run for his money, could they beat him? They certainly have the potential.

Posted by AchillesHee l know you don't like to base your opinions on the available evidence , so let's see what we can dig up on your behalf...

Bloody Elbow's composite rankings, whatever methodologies their contributors use, place 11 of the Top 20 heavyweights in the UFC, and 5 in the Top 10.

Thats very "fact based" I mean I love to base my opinion of other peoples opinions, it makes you, umm I mean me so much more informed right?

Five of the top ten is a rather large amount for one promotion when there are so few heavy weights and who's to say there rankings are worth there salt in the first place, as Ive said before I think MMA has some of the worst journalist's of any pro sport if not the worst.

Posted by AchillesHeel Matrix's opaque ratings system places 12 UFC Heavyweights in the Top 20, and 6 in the Top 10. Of course, they say Gegard Mousasi is a top 10 heavyweight too...

Second verse same as the first? If you're questioning the rankings you're using to bolster your claim its probably not a good sign...

Posted by AchillesHeel You should probably stay away from MMA Elo scores altogether. They give the UFC only 7 Top-20 Heavyweights, if you're looking strictly at scores, with 3 in the Top 10 (one of whom is Chris Tuscherer). For my own purposes, I use a combination of the fighters' Elo scores and Strength of Schedule scores. That results in the UFC getting 8 Top-20 Heavyweights and 3 in the Top 10 (and Tuscherer dropping to #22).

The Lightweight rankings from Bloody Elbow, Fight Matrix and MMA-Elo look worse for the UFC than their Heavyweight rankings, with the UFC having no more than ½ of the Top-20 and Top-10 lightweights.

The UFC does a little better on the Middleweight lists than on the Heavyweight lists. They have about the same number of Top-20 guys (10 or 12), but more Top-10 guys (6 or 7).

Unsurprisingly, the UFC is clearly the place to be for Light-Heavyweights, with 15, 16, and 17 of the Top 20 guys on those three rankings lists, and 8 or 9 of the Top 10.

Finally, you're claiming, in no uncertain terms, that a Bantamweight or Featherweight fighter is innately inferior, simply because they're a Bantamweight or Featherweight fighter.

Here I thought it would be obvious that I was not counting divisions the UFC doesn't have...

Posted by AchillesHeel So out of the 7 common weight classes, I'd say you're correct about 1 of them. If you were a pro baseball player, you'd have to be a pitcher, because your batting average would be about .143.

I would have to be a complete moron to think that out of the 7 weight classes your talking about that the UFC has only 1 top division, you're taking the top individuals from several different promotions and attempting to bunch them together which is not accurate, basically you either dont understand my statement or your logic is flawed. Im looking at the level of competition in each promotion in each weight class as a whole, Im not skimming the top few fighters the way a world ranking system would although the UFC by most rankings Ive seen dose better than any other promotion, name a organisation with more ranked fighters than the UFC? You cant because there's just not one out there.

I guess I could reply with any number of rankings that show UFC fighters filling out the top five of the top ten in each of there prospective weight classes and the weakest by far is the HW division but most the people here already know and again other peoples rankings are just other peoples opinions and they have even less validity when it comes to the depth of a division in a promotion.

And even it being the weakest of the UFC divisions its still the strongest HW division and nothing you have brought to your argument proves anything different.

The thing about MMA media is the majority of the fans are more knowledgeable about the sport than the journalists that report it, I think here and there you find a few that relay know the sport and know the fighters but its still rare and I find I always have more issues with their rankings than hardcore fan ranking.

Its true I strike out at baseball a lot but if thats you're analogy then you're not even in the game, tell me is being a bat boy a hard job? I might need something to fall back on after I retire.

Posted by emfleek

Posted by AchillesHeel

If you were a pro baseball player, you'd have to be a pitcher, because your batting average would be about .143.

Followers are always easily impressed.
hippysmacker
8/5/09 11:35:57PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by AchillesHeel

While I totally disagree with Achilles about Fedor having any fights I want to now see (besides Overeeem) out side the UFC, that was freaking hilarious.