Potentially the worst main event ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Potentially the worst main event ever?
POLL: Worst main event ever?
yes 58% (34)
no 29% (17)
who knows... 14% (8)
BigEvil
10/4/07 10:52:58AM
Is the Bisping vs. Rashad match potentially the worst main event ever?
DCRage
10/4/07 10:57:39AM
Far from it. I think it's a good matchup, 2 TUF winners who are still unbeaten to date, both coming off big fights, winner might be one good victory away from a title shot.
AchillesHeel
10/4/07 11:02:20AM

Posted by DCRage

Far from it. I think it's a good matchup[...]

MMAnomale
10/4/07 11:11:09AM
I enjoy both fighters, however, I don't think this is 'main-event' worthy. This sucks for a main event. Why would Bisping be in a main-event? His last outing he got beat, although the judges, or two of them, didn't see it that way. Rashad's last fight would've been a loss if it hadn't been for Tito's dumb-a*s hanging on to the fence. They could've picked several other fights and fighters that would be more interesting as a main event. Bisping and Rashad don't deserve main event status right now. These fights are usually reserved for title holders (title fights), and/or contenders for the belt fighting for the next shot at the title. Sometimes they'll throw in a grudge match or something but Bisping/Rashad? Give me a break. That is not a good main event. Rashad was supposed to fight Tito next and Bisping, I thought, was supposed to fight Hamill? What happened to that?
cowcatcher
10/4/07 12:04:54PM
these are 2 well known TUF winners that are undefeated, whats bad about this matchup, the fact that they were on TUF? i thought the last PPV showed that being a TUFer was no shameful thing.
thelastking
10/4/07 12:22:46PM
this fight should be really good, both of them are undefeated and this fight should be a war but it is not main event worthy. not only is this fight not for the title it isnt even to determine the number one contender. Just because the fight should be good doesnt mean it deserves to be a main event IMO
Yaknowhaimean
10/4/07 12:24:27PM

Posted by MMAnomale

I enjoy both fighters, however, I don't think this is 'main-event' worthy. This sucks for a main event. ... Rashad was supposed to fight Tito next and Bisping, I thought, was supposed to fight Hamill? What happened to that?

I agree. I also like both fighters (although Bisping's post-fight shenanigans at 75 pissed me off), but don't see it as a main event. The main events that sell PPVs are title fights or involve Tito/Chuck/Randy (maybe a few others?). I think it will be tough to sell PPVs (although not at the gate, if only cause it's the first east coast event in a while).

As for Bisping/Hammill and Rashad/Tito (RematchFest2007), Hammill is having surgery. I'm guessing something fell thru with Tito in regards to the fight, but maybe it opens him up to fight Hendo or Wandi or...?

A bit off topic, but what were the worst main events (on paper) for PPVs?
mrsmiley
10/4/07 12:33:45PM
I would say this will be a good fight.
Bisping and Evans don't have the biggest names in MMA,but they are both good fighters.I dislike both of them to an extent,but i'm rooting for Rashad in this match.I think Bisping has more raw talent than Rashad,but I believe in the fights I've seem of him,Rashad seems to be more polished overall as a fighter.

I think this main event is very unique for a lot of reasons.Hardcore MMA fans will probably be dissapointed to an extent,but the casual MMA viewer who watches TUF will probably wounder what all the bitching is about.

I think this could possibly be a fight between two of the sports brightest future stars.Sure we might be dissapointed now,but 10 years from now we might,just might,be talking about what a historic fight this was.
CornishMMA
10/4/07 12:52:32PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by DCRage

Far from it. I think it's a good matchup[...]

But when else has there been no main event and then not even a #1 contender fight like at 72 or 70, im guessing you think this is a better main event than Chuck VS Jardine which is fair enough, but that turned out to be a very good fight and this could prove very dull
mrliquid
10/4/07 12:57:27PM
I think its worthy I could def think of worse main events and Bisping is awsome you cant understand half what he says but he is still awsome and they match pretty well so it should be interesting to watch.
CornishMMA
10/4/07 1:00:16PM

AND

at least then chuck was a former champ etc yaknow, so while it wasnt a #1 contender fight it was closer to that than this fight will be, BUT as it happens i will be more excited about this fight than i was for that one tbh, i hate bisping so will enjoy watching him get his 2ND LOSS
nubby
10/4/07 1:19:20PM
Whats great about this fight is that Bisping or Rashad will lose th perfect record at the end of the night :)
szucconi
10/4/07 1:40:10PM

Posted by nubby

Whats great about this fight is that Bisping or Rashad will lose th perfect record at the end of the night :)

unless its another draw.
szucconi
10/4/07 1:55:58PM
Let me first say that I have tickets to this event and the under card is pretty great. Now that I have gotten that out of the way, this main event stinks. These are two fighters that haven't shown a whole lot recently and this fight isn't for a title shot. Everyone bemoaned UFC 72 and that main event was at least for a title shot. I think Rashad has shown more potential in his fights and Bisping will be exposed in this fight, so I am happy about that, but this is not a main event.
NatedawgThaM
10/4/07 2:18:05PM
This will be a good fight...

There stand up is even and Rashad wins on the ground. Will be fun to watch...

the only problem is this PPV might not sell much because the fans know 2 fighters who should have lost there last fights, the winner will get a big push probably...

BUT THE MAIN CARD & PRELIMS ARE FREAKIN INSANE!!!! Any match could be FOTN!!! WAR 78!!!

pv3Hpv3p
10/4/07 2:44:24PM
I really like the matchup, but I just don't think that it's mainevent worthy... It seems like the UFC is trying a little too hard to ride on the coattails of the TUF phenominon (that might be the worst spelling of that word eva)... I think it would make for a great opening match for a PPV, but billing it as the first time ever two tuf champs fight is a little lame, IMO...

Like I said, still want to see the fight, but wish they had a main event with a couple a top10's in it, a title fight, or a matchup that has a little more of an immediate impact on the depth of the division...

It is always intersting to see two undefeated fighters go at it though
BigEvil
10/4/07 3:36:44PM
Thanks to those of you who answered the question correctly, it wasn't whether or not it was going to be a good match. The question was does it make a good MAIN EVENT. I don't think it does, even if the winner did get a title shot, think of all the great fighters who have never got a main event fight... Does Bisping or Rashag really deserve main event status without it being for a title, i don;t think so.
MALICE
10/4/07 9:16:57PM
I haven't missed a UFC event in years. Of course I will purchase it. But this should not be a ppv main event. It would be a great Fight Night main event. With all of the bigger names in the UFC. I would've thought they would've came up with a more desirable main event.
cmill21
10/4/07 9:26:46PM
Good fight, but I thought with all the influx of talent to the UFC they'd have the best matchup's ever? To me this is not a main event with all the guys that are in the UFC.
ChokeUout
10/4/07 9:32:27PM
It's a good match-up. It'd be a perfect Main event for a Fight Night or something like that.

But I'm SERIOUSLY hoping they don't try and make us fork out $40 for it. Sure there'll be entertaining fights. But If the main event isn't a title match, it should at LEAST be where the winner gets a title shot, ie UFC 70 or 72. Or at the BARE MINIMUM have a legend like Chuck Liddell Fight, ie 76.

At best here, the winner of this fight will have to still win one more, if not two, before they get a title shot. It should be a decent fight. It'd be a nice Co-Headline fight, before the main event. But having this be The Main event? For a Pay Per View?

I think Mr. White is Trying to pull a Fast one on us.

I for one will be watching UFC 78 at Hooters if it's indeed a PPV
hathcock32
10/4/07 10:27:59PM
I think this is a better main event then....Franklin vs Okami. I think thats why they put these 2 guys together....both coming off controversial wins...with a win every will forget their last fight, and be ready for a number 1 contender match.
jgordon85
10/4/07 11:49:51PM
it is a good match up but i do not think it is worth the main event at all. the co main event maybe? i do not know if i am buying this ppv. but i want to see thiago silva and karo. i want one more big name match for this event. bisping and evans? a fight night main event yeah ppv main event
Scott_Revels
10/5/07 2:07:44AM
Does anyone remember Sylvia vs Monson? Complete SNOOOREFEST. This compared to that, is a main event of the year qualifier. I really don't think this is a bad main event. I can't wait, and even though people think these guys are only the fighters of the future, the future is now. After UFC 76, any guy could be next in line for a title shot, and that means that this fight is just as relevant as a Griffin/Shogun, Jardine/Liddell, and even Rampage/Henderson.
ChokeUout
10/5/07 4:43:38AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Does anyone remember Sylvia vs Monson? Complete SNOOOREFEST. This compared to that, is a main event of the year qualifier. I really don't think this is a bad main event. I can't wait, and even though people think these guys are only the fighters of the future, the future is now. After UFC 76, any guy could be next in line for a title shot, and that means that this fight is just as relevant as a Griffin/Shogun, Jardine/Liddell, and even Rampage/Henderson.

Actually, Sylvia/Monson was NOT the main Event at UFC 65. Hughes/St. Pierre 2 was the main event. Even tho that fight was a sleeper, we still had the welterweight title to fall back on.

It's not that Bisping and Evans is gonna be a bad fight, but it's just not worthy of a headliner In my opinion. My reasons being: Both these guys are a few fights away from a title shot "IF" they keep winning, and also, I don't really see either of them getting to the point of earning a title shot anytime soon. I think if you put either of them against a shogun, or Silva, or Houston, Or Forrest etc that they'd lose. ONly time will tell

SHould be an entertaining card, but we deserve more than this for a main event.
Boo_Radley21
10/5/07 8:24:02AM

Posted by ChokeUout

Posted by Scott_Revels

Even though the Sylvia Monson fight was boring, it was two big names in that match. These guys really are only Fight Night main event potential and any fight can turn out to be a slow and boring fight.
BigEvil
10/5/07 10:38:25AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Does anyone remember Sylvia vs Monson? Complete SNOOOREFEST. This compared to that, is a main event of the year qualifier. I really don't think this is a bad main event. I can't wait, and even though people think these guys are only the fighters of the future, the future is now. After UFC 76, any guy could be next in line for a title shot, and that means that this fight is just as relevant as a Griffin/Shogun, Jardine/Liddell, and even Rampage/Henderson. [/QUOTE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sylvia vs. Monson wasn't a main event and it was for the HW title... and Griffin vs. Shogun also wan't the main event. You can defenitly make an argument for the Liddell vs. Jardine match not being main event worthy, but Hendo vs. Rampage! Not only was it two huge names, it was also for the LHW title... If you don't think thats a main event worthy fight, then I want whatever your smoking.
Bedlam
10/5/07 10:32:40PM
This isn't that bad of a card. I think the UFC they did in Ireland with Okami and Franklin was one the worst I've seen. At least this one has the potential for some good fights.
faille
10/5/07 11:32:57PM
I'm honestly not very thrilled with the main event, but they do have some decent fights on the card IMO.
DNor
10/6/07 2:09:07AM
Well, I think on paper it doesnt look like a good main event... however, I think this could actually be an exciting fight though that would not disappoint from a fighting standpoint.
But then again I was on the edge of my seat watching Tadao Yasuda hold Masaaki Satake to the corner of the ring for 20 minutes on Pride 12...
zephead
10/6/07 10:46:17AM
It isn't about the names. One of the best fights I have ever seen was in KOTC, Lister/Flynn. A great fight. Edgar/Griffin was a great fight. If those to put on a great fight, then it is "Main event" worthy.