POLL: ?
Guida over Diaz 36% (37)
Karo over Kim 55% (57)
Cramer over Arroyo 7% (7)
Howard over Wilson 2% (2)
O'Brien over Wellisch 1% (1)
Franklinfan47
2/1/09 11:39:48AM
Before we share our opinions, I would like to say my philosophy on decisions is that if you dont like them, dont leave it in the judges hands, simple as that. That said, there were alot of split decisions last night and wanted to know which you felt was the most unfair, or in other words, wrong.

In my opinion, it was the Diaz-Guida fight. I just felt Diaz did enough in the second and third rounds to warrant the nod in the decision.

Thoughts?
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/1/09 11:45:14AM
Karo didn't do enough to get a W. He even looked dissapointed with himself at the end. I understand everything he has overcome but he did not look ready for a return IMO.
Jackelope
2/1/09 11:46:12AM
I think DHK should have gotten the nod instead of Karo, personally
tmas
2/1/09 11:47:25AM
LMAO Diaz did what in what rounds? he got dominated in all rounds on the ground had good standup but the majority of every round was about Guida's wrestlin......Diaz had nothing i was extremely suprised i thought for sure he would get lucky like he does with a sub but he didnt.... 30-27 i had it scored.

Kim got robbed he won hands down.
casey64
2/1/09 11:47:40AM
I would say Karo over Kim.
Twenty20Dollars
2/1/09 11:48:48AM
I was fine with all of the winners even thought I didnt pick those winners cept for a few.

I read the prelims on junkie. O'brien and Cramer both should have had UD's not SD's

I thought Karo and Guida both got the nod but not real exciting fights nothing to get excited about.
Khaos
2/1/09 11:53:26AM
DHK vs Karo.

I do admit that Karo won round 2, and likely round 3. I'm mad because I think round one was 10-8 DHK, Karo did virtually nothing and had his back taken in like the first 3 minutes. I think it should have gone DHK's way, or even a 28-28 draw.
copcopps
2/1/09 11:53:56AM
Kim totally won, especially in the 3rd round, a lot of sources said it was a draw I thought Kim won it
Wolfenstein
2/1/09 12:00:37PM
Well I haven't seen the prelims yet, so I can't really judge them. If I were to go by the play by play, they seemed accurate.

I also felt Diaz won, he did better in the exchanges, and Guida never inflicted any damage. Basically he just tried to hol Diaz in a clinch the entire fight, and that just doesn't score points in my book. Like I've said before though, I picked Diaz so I'll probably watch the fight again and try to watch from an unbiased viewpoint.

I thought Karo beat Kim easilly. Certainly Karo won the first and Kim the second. Come the third round both fighters didn't do much. Kim did absolutely nothing. Karo landed a few wild punches, and that's why he beat DK. Round 3 could hae gone either way, had anyone scored a a decent takedown of a few good strikes.
kurt-2112
2/1/09 12:01:54PM

Posted by tmas

LMAO Diaz did what in what rounds? he got dominated in all rounds on the ground had good standup but the majority of every round was about Guida's wrestlin......Diaz had nothing i was extremely suprised i thought for sure he would get lucky like he does with a sub but he didnt.... 30-27 i had it scored.

no way man, all Guida did was hold on to nate and a few times took him down and did nothing, the first round for sure guida, but after that he didnt do anything, he didnt land and punches like nate did, rogan said at least five times that guida stuck on him like glue, he did and didnt let go i had it 29-28 Diaz, mainly cuase he was fighting, Guida didnt want to fight, i was pissed at the descison even tho nate didnt do alot, he still wanted to fight.
tmas
2/1/09 12:11:50PM
so he won by control and postion.....2 of the catagories as opposed to about 5 punches per round by Nate? I picked Nate to win and was suprised he didnt, what i saw was Nate getting wrestled to death kinda like GSP did to BJ, at one point i thought the fight was close to ending but Guida showed he has a chin.

Neither guy did damage, neither was all that impressive, Nate outstriked Guida but Guida controlled Nate for nearly the whole fight with his wrestling, aggressivness, control etc. He won every scoring catagory except the stand up game.
kopower
2/1/09 12:20:44PM
I can see why Guida won the fight with the control the entire fight but all he did was bear hug Diaz. Diaz won the striking and kept throwing Guida down minus Guida's big throw. Clay did a great job ending up in the dominant position after the throws but he didn't do anything. Diaz seemed to be the one pushing forward the entire fight.

This is why there is such a discrepancy in judging. It seems some reward the most damage done and aggressiveness while other score more for control, even though no damage is done.

I agreed with the split decision but thought it should have went the other way around. There have been much worse decisions in the past. ie Hamill vs Bisping
tmas
2/1/09 12:28:03PM
i agree with that no descion is as bad as Hamil bisping
Franklinfan47
2/1/09 12:38:31PM

Posted by tmas

so he won by control and postion.....2 of the catagories as opposed to about 5 punches per round by Nate? I picked Nate to win and was suprised he didnt, what i saw was Nate getting wrestled to death kinda like GSP did to BJ, at one point i thought the fight was close to ending but Guida showed he has a chin.

Neither guy did damage, neither was all that impressive, Nate outstriked Guida but Guida controlled Nate for nearly the whole fight with his wrestling, aggressivness, control etc. He won every scoring catagory except the stand up game.

I see your point, the wrestling aspect was definately all Guida. I guess thats how the judges saw it as well. I dont know if he should have got points for aggresiveness, Diaz was moving forward just as often I felt, utilizing his reach to pick Guida apart on the feet. Control on the ground definately goes to Guida though, your right.
casey64
2/1/09 1:10:55PM
I agreed with the Guida decision, he controlled nate most of the fight, putting nate on his back and staying aggresive.
1daveufc
2/1/09 1:13:45PM
I have not seen the prims yet but a wud say it was the karo vs kim fight kim won allday long.I thought guida won to
bls1919
2/1/09 2:09:22PM
I can't agree with Guida winning at all. He did nothing in a way of finishing the fight. I dont have a problem with decisions but to just hang on the guy and not even attempt to finish is ridiculous. Aside from a few leg kicks in the first Guida did nothing but try to hold on. nate dominated the 3rd round. IMO won the second even though Guida had his back standing Nate took HIM down with his leg sweep/judo throw at least 4 times. I wonder if the judges were giving those takedowns to Guida?
fizzle
2/1/09 2:29:50PM
DHK, he did enough to get the nod. Karo hardly mounted an attack at all during the entire course of the fight. I also thought that Diaz V Guida should have gone the other way even though I picked Guida by decision.
gartface
2/1/09 2:43:09PM
Guida should have gotten the UD.
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/1/09 2:46:09PM
Yeah I don't understand why so many are picking guida over diaz as a bad decision... Diaz did absolutely **** all during the fight, everything he attempted was nullified. all he really had going for him was the semi half triangle tries. Guida won that hands down.
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/09 3:27:31PM
i didn't see any of the undercard fights so i can't say any of them were bad decisions. however, i can say that the guida/diaz fight should hav ebeen a UD easily. Nate did absolutely nothing except try to get a monkey off of his back. also, the DHK/Karo fight could have gone either way. i personally had it as a draw, but i can see how the juges gave it to either fighter.
IriShame
2/1/09 4:55:07PM
I think what these fights do best is showcase how ill suited the 10 point must system is for MMA. Kim vs. Karo, in my eyes, was a draw. Same with Guida vs. Diaz. Neither fighter did enough to be declared the "winner" in my opinion. I believe the fight should be judged as a whole and not round by round. When you hear the scores sometimes they seem to deviate so widely from judge to judge that I'm amazed they were all watching the same fight. I mean, I think one judge scored the Henderson-Franklin fight 30-27, Franklin. That means in his opinion Hendo didn't even win a round, let alone the fight. I just don't get it, being forced to call close rounds for one guy seems to lead to some interesting decisions. Especially when you throw the odd 10-8 round in there. What exactly constitutes a 10-8? I just think the whole system needs an overhaul.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/1/09 5:25:46PM
MAnny taveres because that fight broke my parlay
Pookie
2/1/09 6:02:55PM
Guida lost the second and third rounds by even the UFC's criteria.

Takedowns are worth just as much as getting up from the takedowns, almost every time he got up on his own. Other than that Guida held him. Not much Gnp at all, and nate diaz had sub attempts every round and the better of the stand-up, in the third he even rocked guida for a second.
Tein_Lung
2/1/09 7:20:46PM
I think its BS that Clay won vs Nate... Nate tired to end the fight by going for subs and actually punching... Clay got his in the face and just held on for 15 minutes... It was a vertical lay and pray...

I like wrestlers like GSP who use wrestling to get better position.. not wrestlers who just old on and try to not lose instead of try to win
EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:47:23PM
Diaz shoulda won imo.
breakdown5
2/1/09 9:04:10PM

Posted by Pookie

Guida lost the second and third rounds by even the UFC's criteria.

Takedowns are worth just as much as getting up from the takedowns, almost every time he got up on his own. Other than that Guida held him. Not much Gnp at all, and nate diaz had sub attempts every round and the better of the stand-up, in the third he even rocked guida for a second.

Diaz was trying to finish the fight while Guida held on for dear life. I think that Diaz should have won the fight.
Cdellorso
2/1/09 9:24:45PM

Posted by casey64

I agreed with the Guida decision, he controlled nate most of the fight, putting nate on his back and staying aggresive.

Part of Guidas problem is that his damn hair get s in the way of what where and if shots land- we know diaz is not a power puncher but looked like he was getting some tags in- go back and re watch alot of punched are glancing or missing- Guidas head movement is SOLID his hair always takes a beating- And also- a complaint may be - he gets alot of decisions he doesnt finish, well, he fights really good fighters usually and when he fights b team fighters he does finish.

Again - LOVE his energy and his heart!!

Diaz looked great- was in great shape and was not tired. plain and simply Guida smothered and controlled him, Guida style.....
Loved it when Guida slapped Nick 5... Nick was not amused....
Mayhem13
2/1/09 9:55:25PM
Dong Daddy H definately beat Karo....that gets my vote.
Tein_Lung
2/1/09 10:31:32PM

Posted by Cdellorso

Posted by casey64

Part of Guidas problem is that his damn hair get s in the way of what where and if shots land- we know diaz is not a power puncher but looked like he was getting some tags in- go back and re watch alot of punched are glancing or missing- Guidas head movement is SOLID his hair always takes a beating- And also- a complaint may be - he gets alot of decisions he doesnt finish, well, he fights really good fighters usually and when he fights b team fighters he does finish.

Again - LOVE his energy and his heart!!

Diaz looked great- was in great shape and was not tired. plain and simply Guida smothered and controlled him, Guida style.....
Loved it when Guida slapped Nick 5... Nick was not amused....

so you think its all good just to hold onto a guy for dear life and hope 3 "judges" think thats winning instead of trying to make the fight end?? Diaz went for atleast 10-15 subs he actually had several takedowns even if he did not end up in a dominate position he did the takedown... and he was NEVER in danger of getting stoped... any time there sia sub attempt there is a chance for the fight to end... Diaz tried to win Guida tried not to lose
Pages: [1] 2