Worst Day In the MMA Heavyweight Divison EVER???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Worst Day In the MMA Heavyweight Divison EVER???
NatedawgThaM
10/11/07 3:47:06PM
Fedor supposely #1 in the world when he fights isn't fighting for the UFC anymore. So since Randy just retired because of this I guess you can count out Zuffa in being the people who bought M-1. Fedor might be might talent but we won't know until he starts fighting M-1 people. But they are still no names.

Randy just retired because the UFC's failure to sign him and Randy "captain america" was the face of the UFC along with Rampage.

I think Randy is making a stupid mistake for retiring UNTIL he at least fights Big Nog(#3 in the world) I mean why not fight Big Nog? I mena if you can't beat Big Nog then you can't beat Fedor. Figure out that way.

WAR BIG NOG!!!!

Is anybody else with me that this is the worst day in the MMA Heavyweight division history? I mean now BIg Nog will dominate unless the UFC signs Barnett. Or maybe we can see Gabriel Gonzaga giving Big Nog a hard time but thats it..

WORST DAY IN THE MMA HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION EVER!!!!
thepunisher
10/11/07 3:50:04PM
Worst day since Cro Cop got KO'd by Gonzo

we should have had Cro Cop VS Couture
d_block07
10/11/07 3:52:13PM
worst day in MMA in recen history. wtf is randy thinking im disappointed
loonytnt
10/11/07 4:42:30PM
randy is #1 imo so if he can fight fedor why fight imo is why he did it
jiujitsufreak74
10/11/07 4:46:14PM
imagine if randy went to M-1 and fought fedor. it would be huge, but not as huge as it would be in the UFC

there are a lot of people to blame for this fiasco, so don't single out one person...*cough fedor cough*
zephead
10/11/07 5:11:58PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Fedor supposely #1 in the world when he fights isn't fighting for the UFC anymore. So since Randy just retired because of this I guess you can count out Zuffa in being the people who bought M-1. Fedor might be might talent but we won't know until he starts fighting M-1 people. But they are still no names.

Randy just retired because the UFC's failure to sign him and Randy "captain america" was the face of the UFC along with Rampage.

I think Randy is making a stupid mistake for retiring UNTIL he at least fights Big Nog(#3 in the world) I mean why not fight Big Nog? I mena if you can't beat Big Nog then you can't beat Fedor. Figure out that way.

WAR BIG NOG!!!!

Is anybody else with me that this is the worst day in the MMA Heavyweight division history? I mean now BIg Nog will dominate unless the UFC signs Barnett. Or maybe we can see Gabriel Gonzaga giving Big Nog a hard time but thats it..

WORST DAY IN THE MMA HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION EVER!!!!

Someone can lose to Big Nog but beat Fedor. It's all about the match up. MMA Math has proven not to work over and over again.
nickcuc547
10/11/07 5:15:48PM
it does suck but the ufc will move on, they have no other choice.
pv3Hpv3p
10/11/07 5:23:57PM
I think Randy's doing what's best for him... He's sick of getting shafted by the UFC, and hopefully this (Randy's resignation) coupled with the fact that they could not sign Fedor will start changing some little things in the UFC...

No more lowballing fighters... 3G's a fight is pathetic for how much chaching they're pulling in

No more, "here's my offer, take it or leave it..."

Ultimately this should raise all fighters saleries (in the long run) and be a good thing for the sport... It sucks for us as fans, but seems like the right thing for him to do... Although we love watching him compete, Randy's got to keep his own best interests in mind
allevil86
10/11/07 5:44:32PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

imagine if randy went to M-1 and fought fedor. it would be huge, but not as huge as it would be in the UFC

there are a lot of people to blame for this fiasco, so don't single out one person...*cough fedor cough*

Randy is still under contract with the UFC he can't go fight anywhere else without getting the shit sued out of him.
jgordon85
10/11/07 5:53:52PM

Posted by allevil86

Randy is still under contract with the UFC he can't go fight anywhere else without getting the shit sued out of him.

that is true. so he could just be playing the waiting game and seeing if the ufc will get fedor anytime soon and then comeout of retirement again to fight.
but he also has a commentary contract too.
cmill21
10/11/07 5:54:19PM

Posted by allevil86

It could be a 2 year 4 fight contract, so after two years he would be free I believe. I think the recent occurances will show dana that he can't do what he's been doing and hopefully eliminate his monopoly and have M-1 become an equal org. Parody is the best thing, and paying your poster boy alot less then others is kinda dumb lol.
DoTheMMAth
10/11/07 6:17:12PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I think Randy's doing what's best for him... He's sick of getting shafted by the UFC, and hopefully this (Randy's resignation) coupled with the fact that they could not sign Fedor will start changing some little things in the UFC...

No more lowballing fighters... 3G's a fight is pathetic for how much chaching they're pulling in

Ultimately this should raise all fighters saleries (in the long run) and be a good thing for the sport... It sucks for us as fans, but seems like the right thing for him to do... Although we love watching him compete, Randy's got to keep his own best interests in mind

Great post, agree 100%
fedorwins1
10/11/07 6:30:41PM
I do believe this is the worst week EVER for MMA.
hippysmacker
10/11/07 6:37:24PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Worst week in MMA ever. At last I can't think of one worse

FIRST . although not a huge deal I was looking forward to the Tank/Kimbo
fight
'SECOND- Fedor doesn't sign with the UFC. Even though I think Fedor is the best, it tarnishes his legacy when he turns down the most lucrative MMA deal ever to fight lesser fighters
THIRD- Randy retires. I understand him wanting to fight Fedor. They are my 2 favorite fighters, but I know think they are both greedy or spoiled. Randy signed a contract for a significant amount of money. Now that people are making more he wants a raise before the current deal is done . If Fedor can't have it his way he took his ball and went home. He claimed he wanted a non-exclusive fight deal, and then signed one with M-1.
The only good thing about the UFC buying Pride was that we were supposed to be seeing all the dream match ups in the first couple of years. If I was the Fertittas and I found out that so many of Prides contracts weren't transferable. I would have paid a lot less than the reported 65 million. Now even if M-1 or Elite XC becomes a legit contender to the The UFC, it will still be down the road. I always believed someone would rise up to challenge the UFC in 2 to 3 years, but I wanted the dream matchups during that time.
I get Randy wanting more money, and I think he deserves it, but only after he finishes his current deal. This is reminiscent of Tito's moves before the first Chuck fight. I understand he has other alternatives business wise, and I respect his right to work them if he feels his compensation is inadequate. However,l would have preferred he honored out his contract. Whenever someone retires with a belt, unless they are ducking someone in particular, it just undermines the next champ. Unless they have defeated all relevant fighters in their time( or have a career threating injury or illness) , it is an unprofessional move IMO, and I'm sorry Randy pulled it.
Mastodon2
10/11/07 6:43:16PM
Wow, what a bombshell, Randy has dealt a huge blow to the UFC. This might be great for fighters in the long run, but its tooling fans in 2007. I said it when all those horrible upsets started cropping up, and Pride went under, 2007 is the worst year for MMA since its inception.
NatedawgThaM
10/11/07 6:44:00PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Worst week in MMA ever. At last I can't think of one worse

FIRST . although not a huge deal I was looking forward to the Tank/Kimbo
fight
'SECOND- Fedor doesn't sign with the UFC. Even though I think Fedor is the best, it tarnishes his legacy when he turns down the most lucrative MMA deal ever to fight lesser fighters
THIRD- Randy retires. I understand him wanting to fight Fedor. They are my 2 favorite fighters, but I know think they are both greedy or spoiled. Randy signed a contract for a significant amount of money. Now that people are making more he wants a raise before the current deal is done . If Fedor can't have it his way he took his ball and went home. He claimed he wanted a non-exclusive fight deal, and then signed one with M-1.
The only good thing about the UFC buying Pride was that we were supposed to be seeing all the dream match ups in the first couple of years. If I was the Fertittas and I found out that so many of Prides contracts weren't transferable. I would have paid a lot less than the reported 65 million. Now even if M-1 or Elite XC becomes a legit contender to the The UFC, it will still be down the road. I always believed someone would rise up to challenge the UFC in 2 to 3 years, but I wanted the dream matchups during that time.
I get Randy wanting more money, and I think he deserves it, but only after he finishes his current deal. This is reminiscent of Tito's moves before the first Chuck fight. I understand he has other alternatives business wise, and I respect his right to work them if he feels his compensation is inadequate. However,l would have preferred he honored out his contract. Whenever someone retires with a belt, unless they are ducking someone in particular, it just undermines the next champ. Unless they have defeated all relevant fighters in their time( or have a career threating injury or illness) , it is an unprofessional move IMO, and I'm sorry Randy pulled it.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! He should have lived out the rest of his contract. HE STILL COULD HAVE FOUGHT BIG NOG!!!! WHY IS BIG NOG BEING UNDERRATED!!!???

Plus Brandon Vera would be a great fight for Big Nog or Randy if he can get past Big Tim..
Mastodon2
10/11/07 6:51:01PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! He should have lived out the rest of his contract. HE STILL COULD HAVE FOUGHT BIG NOG!!!! WHY IS BIG NOG BEING UNDERRATED!!!???

Plus Brandon Vera would be a great fight for Big Nog or Randy if he can get past Big Tim..

omgwhat Randy must be scared of fighting them!

Of course, this isn't really the case, but thats the kind of thing that Fedor's haters have been levelling at him, and now the shoe is on the other foot as Randy walks away from Nogueira, imo aside from Fedor the best HW out there. I still see Nogueira taking the belt, I saw him taking it from Randy and now that Randy has abdicated, unfortunately ( ) but I still see Nogueira getting the belt.

We could see Cro Cop / Nogueira II, for the UFC HW belt!

Still sucks that Randy didn't hang around to fight Nogueira though.
zephead
10/11/07 6:53:28PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by NatedawgThaM

omgwhat Randy must be scared of fighting them!

Of course, this isn't really the case, but thats the kind of thing that Fedor's haters have been levelling at him, and now the shoe is on the other foot as Randy walks away from Nogueira, imo aside from Fedor the best HW out there. I still see Nogueira taking the belt, I saw him taking it from Randy and now that Randy has abdicated, unfortunately ( ) but I still see Nogueira getting the belt.

We could see Cro Cop / Nogueira II, for the UFC HW belt!

Still sucks that Randy didn't hang around to fight Nogueira though.

Big Nog is a bad match up for Randy
cmill21
10/11/07 7:04:30PM
Lol if I hear Randy was scared I'm gunna lose it. People think I will only defend former pride fighters but, guy's if your career is fighting your not going to run from a fight. Thats just dumb to say. Minowa took on Cro Cop, I think Randy would fight Nog lol.
hathcock32
10/11/07 7:09:56PM
Randy is not being greedy, what better way to go out then on top. He wanted to
fight the best in the world, and after that felt through, he didnt feel like waiting
around. I think we forget how old the man is. A win or loss vs Big Nog really would not prove anything.

Fedor is considered the best, and that is who Randy wanted, i believe win or loss he was going to call it quits after the Fedor fight. If he won, he would of been considered the greatest Heavyweight of all time. If he lost , it would of been a loss to the Greatest fighter of all time.

The most desired fight in history is not going to happen, but in another couple of months this fight will be forgot about, as bigger potential fights come along. I put no blame on Fedor or Randy. They are 2 great warriors, who i have all the respect in the world for, just saddened by the fact that I will never get to watch Randy make that walk down the aisle agian. And to never see Fedor make that 1st UFC appearence.
Chuteboxer
10/11/07 7:19:00PM
This is indeed a sad day for the UFC...but it's something that can't be helped unless somehow God himself ordained the fight between Fedor and Randy. Randy leaves once again a great fighter and champion and has even more respect from me than he did before he fought Tim Sylvia. I'll miss him. He sure gave Father Time a hell of a run and spanked two young heavyweights for the title well.
kevietre
10/11/07 9:26:25PM
Well we know what Mike Goldberg said when he heard the news:

"It is allll Over!!!"
loonytnt
10/11/07 10:43:38PM

Posted by kevietre

Well we know what Mike Goldberg said when he heard the news:

"It is allll Over!!!"

how many times did you post this lol, i keep readin it
Pitbull09
10/12/07 2:15:22AM
Not worst day, but it ended the hopes of the best fight in MMA history so its pretty high up there.
thepunisher
10/12/07 7:20:18AM

there are a lot of people to blame for this fiasco, so don't single out one person...*cough Dana cough*

I fixed you post for you
jiujitsufreak74
10/12/07 2:45:46PM

Posted by thepunisher

there are a lot of people to blame for this fiasco, so don't single out one person...*cough Dana cough*

I fixed you post for you

haha thnx...i wrote that minutes after reading the first article so i first put the blame on fedor not signing, but then it became more evident after hearing what randy said that dana was most responsible
cmill21
10/12/07 6:45:58PM
This was a very bad day, but I think once everything settle's it will be for the better, and if randy see's someone doing good and Dana give's him more money and respect he'll be back even if he's 54.