Worst Cardio in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Worst Cardio in MMA
Boo_Radley21
12/11/07 9:48:20AM
Of everyone who competes in MMA who do you think seems to gas out the quickest and the most. I'd say Tank's gotta be up there.
Stickan
12/11/07 9:57:52AM
Akebono, James Thompson
fullerene
12/11/07 10:12:57AM
HW's are in a whole other category. Obviously guys like Tank and Akebono are at the top of the list because they carry so much excess weight.

For guys that aren't fat I think of guys like Vitor Belfort, Mark Coleman and Josh Burkman...they are a lot more dangerous in round 1 than round 3.
scoozna
12/11/07 10:39:11AM
I always thought Liddell is ready to gas at any moment - he just conserves so much energy by being a counterpuncher,... waiting, punching, waiting, punching, waiting, sprawling, Flurrrrrrrrrrryyy, knockout.
Ultimate_fighter
12/11/07 10:46:09AM
shogun looked awful in his debut
Rush
12/11/07 10:49:20AM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Didn't you read all the post fight press on Shogun? He had knee trouble that got fixed by surgery after the fight and he couldn't do proper cardio training before the fight.

I hope to see Shogun come back and clean out the division to shut up his critics.
atlas777
12/11/07 11:02:49AM
Out of everyone i think its Frank Mir it always looks like hes carrying a baby since hes been back for his accident the guy can barely get through the first round
loonytnt
12/11/07 11:13:46AM
BJ penn gas tank is on E alot
Khaos
12/11/07 11:23:35AM
Kit Cope
JBatch
12/11/07 12:03:56PM
i guess he has gotten better recently but in my books it used to be Alistair
Overeem. Another non-HW that seems to gas in a lot of fight, maybe from the pace he usually fights at is my favourite fighter Chris Leben. Against Starnes, MacDonald and Martin he looked exhausted.
jiujitsufreak74
12/11/07 2:23:35PM

Posted by atlas777

Out of everyone i think its Frank Mir it always looks like hes carrying a baby since hes been back for his accident the guy can barely get through the first round

I totally agree with you. in his last couple of fights, especially the rematch with wes sims, after the first round he looks like he went through a whole war after running 100 miles. he looks absolutely horrible and his sloppiness in the later rounds pisses me off more than anything because fighters that gas are a big pet peeve of mine, especially if it is right after an unproductive first round as is the case with mir. i hope he trains cardio so he can beat lesnar and all of the wwe fans can stop saying that lesnar will destroy mir no problem.
billycarnage
12/11/07 2:25:52PM
Tito's cardio is overrated. He's usually only good for a round and a half. He isn't the worst by any means. Tank is the worst, hands down.
bezun
12/11/07 3:00:05PM
Terry Martin. Man i would love to see that guy drop to 170. He would drop bombs on any of those cats.
bayonetxwork
12/11/07 4:12:38PM

Posted by billycarnage

Tito's cardio is overrated. He's usually only good for a round and a half

Thank you! Just because early in his career, when he was obviously younger, he had amazing cardio, doesn't mean he still does. And I absolutely HATE it when he looks like he's gassing, and then Rogan and company make excuses as to why hes looking tired, instead of just saying maybe his cardio isn't up to par anymore.
babalu2720
12/11/07 5:10:33PM

Posted by bezun

Terry Martin. Man i would love to see that guy drop to 170. He would drop bombs on any of those cats.

Terry Martin was a 205'er last year, no way he could make 170 without some serious work, and at leats he has a shot in the MW divison
rcg916
12/11/07 6:34:26PM

Posted by Stickan

James Thompson

Blasphemy! Off with his head!

<----- my avatar should explain it, lol.
madmarck
12/11/07 6:41:40PM

Posted by atlas777

He is back in good shape now though. He looked back to normal for his fight wiht Hardonk
cmill21
12/11/07 7:04:38PM

Posted by Rush

Didn't you read all the post fight press on Shogun? He had knee trouble that got fixed by surgery after the fight and he couldn't do proper cardio training before the fight.

I hope to see Shogun come back and clean out the division to shut up his critics.

Shogun runs marathons in his spare time, his cardio is normall good and he fights at a torrid pace, but yes in his debut his training was severly hamperd by a torn ACL.
Mastodon2
12/11/07 7:21:27PM
Tank and James Thompson are the obvious picks. Bob Sapp is another one, he was so gassed during his MMA / K-1 rules fight with Le Banner that he just sat on Jerome during the MMA rounds trying to get his breath back.

Svartorm
12/11/07 7:23:53PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by atlas777

He is back in good shape now though. He looked back to normal for his fight wiht Hardonk

Even when he looks in shape, I don't think his cardio is up to snuff. He was never known for his cardio, but his leg might have an effect on his ability to run and whatnot. Skinny doesn't always equal decent cardio.
Manfred
12/11/07 9:20:12PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Rush

Shogun runs marathons in his spare time, his cardio is normall good and he fights at a torrid pace, but yes in his debut his training was severly hamperd by a torn ACL.

Not too mention he got married 3 weeks before. But that was a very high paced fight and I'd say 90% LHWs would have gassed just as fast. I'd give props to Forrest more than putting down Shogun.
SpiderSilva
12/11/07 9:40:24PM
What about Paul Buintallo(somthin like that anyway)
durog
12/11/07 10:00:48PM

i guess he has gotten better recently but in my books it used to be Alistair
Overeem. Another non-HW that seems to gas in a lot of fight, maybe from the pace he usually fights at is my favourite fighter Chris Leben. Against Starnes, MacDonald and Martin he looked exhausted.

the leben vs. martin fight has to be in my top 5 fav fights i've seen this year Leben has slowed down his fight pace considerably now, which I think makes him an even more explosive fighter.

KeNn
12/11/07 10:17:42PM
Tank, Frank Mir (I feel ******* bad for the dude), Some may deny it but Lydell .
evilpimp
12/12/07 8:41:38PM
yeah tank gasses quick also mir is another one
JeremiahD84
12/13/07 12:21:46AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by atlas777

I totally agree with you. in his last couple of fights, especially the rematch with wes sims, after the first round he looks like he went through a whole war after running 100 miles. he looks absolutely horrible and his sloppiness in the later rounds pisses me off more than anything because fighters that gas are a big pet peeve of mine, especially if it is right after an unproductive first round as is the case with mir. i hope he trains cardio so he can beat lesnar and all of the wwe fans can stop saying that lesnar will destroy mir no problem.

Just curious, but what would you say IF... Lesnar does in fact destroy Mir with no problems??
hippysmacker
12/13/07 12:52:18AM
Tank and JT have already been mentioned but I want to add Mark Coleman and Bob Sapp to the list.
rcg916
12/13/07 3:22:41AM
Pretty sure we will be able to take JT off the list soon enough... I dont see many Extreme Couture guys gassing these days. '08 is his year...

cowcatcher
12/13/07 11:19:55AM
for a little guy karalexis's gas tank has never impressed me, hes like a HW that got shrunk by some evil genius.