Worst beat downs of 2008

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Worst beat downs of 2008
Jackelope
9/22/08 11:17:03PM
Today while driving home I was thinking of the best fights of the year. Which ultimately led me to thinking about the worst beat downs of 2008. I may have forgotten some so feel free to add your own list

#5 Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell (Affliction: Banned) - While Rothwell proved he is as tough as they come he was totally outclassed by Andrei Arlovski. A brutal striking display from the Pitbull ended Big Ben's 13 fight winning streak in bloody fashion.

#4 Tim Boetsch vs. David Heath (UFC 81) - A relative unknown in Tim Boetsch put a stamp on the ass whooping he dished out by caveman tossing David Heath into the corner in one of the most violent displays in mixed martial arts ever.

#3 Fedor vs. Tim Sylvia (Affliction: Banned) - Fedor took 36 seconds to silence any doubters who might have said he is not the #1 heavyweight in the world. A quick flurry of strikes followed by a brutal gable gripped rear naked choke left Fedor with a dislocated thumb and Tim Sylvia saying he'd never been hit that hard in his life. Ever.

#2 Jamie Varner vs. Marcus Hicks (WEC 35) - What started off looking like an even matched battle- Hicks' takedowns followed by Varner's ability to get the fight back on the feet- quickly turned into a one sided brutal beating. Varner let loose with knees and strikes midway through the first round that left Hicks battered, bruised and with his first mixed martial arts loss.

#1 Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine (UFC 84) - The Axe Murderer quickly struck fear into the hearts of light heavyweights the world around when he laid a vicious first round beat down on The Dean of Mean. Jardine was left comatose and with all of the wind he had earned by beating Chuck Liddell taken out of his sails. Wanderlei's rape choke beatdown will be a highlight reel regular for many years to come.

Poohbah
9/22/08 11:40:04PM
Great list, great writing.

While I can't improve this list, I can add to it. I'd offer Houston Alexander's last 5 fights. All beat-downs in some fashion or another.
Jackelope
9/22/08 11:42:09PM

Posted by Poohbah

Great list, great writing.

While I can't improve this list, I can add to it. I'd offer Houston Alexander's last 5 fights. All beat-downs in some fashion or another.

Thank you!

I thought about putting Houston Alexander on the list, but I decided not to simply based on his lack of skill. Although I do agree his fights have all been beat downs in one fashion or another, LOL!
ncordless
9/22/08 11:45:57PM
Nice list. I'd put Liddell/Evans in there, too.
Twenty20Dollars
9/22/08 11:48:10PM
I would put gsp over fitch as #1, total domination and the fight lasted longer than all those other ones you listed so it was a big beat down.
Jackelope
9/22/08 11:49:01PM

Posted by ncordless

Definitely going to go on my KO of the year list, but not on the "beatdown of the year" list. Granted it was brutal seeing Chuck KO'd like that, but it wasn't necessarily a beat down
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/22/08 11:50:40PM
great list agreed
Jackelope
9/22/08 11:50:45PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I would put gsp over fitch as #1, total domination and the fight lasted longer than all those other ones you listed so it was a big beat down.

Another one that I definitely considered putting on the list In the end GSP vs. Fitch didn't make the list because it didn't end in a finish. Still, it was very close to being on this list
candynuts
9/22/08 11:53:12PM
Honorable mention fights IMO would include:

Mac Danzig vs. Mark Bocek

Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring

Cain Velasquez vs. Jake O'Brien
Sensoria
9/23/08 12:08:42AM
GSP Fitch.
Hammill Boetch
Lytle Bradley
Speer Johnson
Irvin Alexander
Silva Irvin
O'Brien Cain
Day Belcher
Mccarthy Bisbing
Serra GSP 2
Sherk Penn
Alves Hughes

ChokeUout
9/23/08 12:13:02AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by ncordless

Definitely going to go on my KO of the year list, but not on the "beatdown of the year" list. Granted it was brutal seeing Chuck KO'd like that, but it wasn't necessarily a beat down

totally agree. I picture a beatdown being mostly one-sided, and usually (but not always) ending in ground and pound.

I'd throw in Marquart/Kampmann, Guillard/Siver, Cane/Lambert, and possibly St. Pierre/Serra 2. THe GSP Serra one gets a mention just because those goddamn knees were brutal, or so they looked
MFOTHER
9/23/08 12:34:32AM
good job, and altho wandy is my boy....fedor needs to be #1. with all the hype and questions.....tim being a top 5 ranked guy.....it only taking 36 or whatever seconds...it was a legit stoppage (no ref stepped in early etc.)
hotrodttt
9/23/08 12:35:10AM
Hideo Tokoro vs Darren Uyenoyama was a Big Beatdown, 15 Minutes of Straight Ass Woopin, Uyenoyama didn't have anything to offer in that Fight, he was getting kneed, Punched, And was even caught in a Tight Armbar
juanez13
9/23/08 8:42:47AM
Bj vs Sherk was a good one, but I agree with the list
casey64
9/23/08 5:34:28PM
Good list!!
haggiswashere
9/23/08 6:14:44PM
lol that "rape choke" was cool