World Series Of Poker

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » World Series Of Poker
DCRage
7/9/08 5:30:49PM
Anyone else follow this nearly as closely as I do? It's been ongoing for a month or so now (the "Main Event" is going on as I type this) and ESPN is starting up its TV coverage in a couple weeks. Of course I'm looking forward to it if just for Norman Chad's witty commentary, Phil Hellmuth's "fashionably late" Main Event entrance, and of course "The Flushys". That'll be my Tuesday nights starting July 22.
EON
7/9/08 5:33:01PM
Yeah I take poker pretty seriously and it makes good money, especially since most europeans dont know a straight from a full house, easy money, but I plan on going back to the states and get into the WSOP.

So is the main event over already?
DCRage
7/9/08 5:48:31PM
No, they're playing it now. I believe today is Day 2B, they'll play everyday until the Final Table then take 4 months off and return in November. They want to do that to avoid spoiling the result before it airs on TV, among other things. It wasn't a popular decision.
EON
7/9/08 5:51:43PM
yeah thats kinda dumb

they didnt shorten down the field this year did they, because it went from 12 million in 06 to 8 million in 07..... it went up right?
DCRage
7/9/08 6:05:31PM
Yeah, up a little over last year. Total field just under 6900, top 666 get paid, $9.1 million to the winner.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/9/08 7:08:55PM
yeah man im very serious about poker also. that thing with hellmut your talking about... go to this link and you basically get the same coverage. they give you a password at the end of that little video too so you can enter a freeroll tourney on pokerstars ...pretty crazy. Ive already won my ticket to the finals of "Weekend with Daniel" wich is also pretty cool.

anyways... "May all your cards be live and your pots be monster" ( i hate mike sexton)
RNC
7/10/08 2:36:48AM
The day I turn 19 you'll see me at the tables in Canada.
DCRage
7/10/08 6:38:54AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

yeah man im very serious about poker also. that thing with hellmut your talking about... go to this link and you basically get the same coverage. they give you a password at the end of that little video too so you can enter a freeroll tourney on pokerstars ...pretty crazy. Ive already won my ticket to the finals of "Weekend with Daniel" wich is also pretty cool.

anyways... "May all your cards be live and your pots be monster" ( i hate mike sexton)

Wow, I didn't know the Playground's site had a page like that. (Hint) I usually get my coverage from CardPlayer.com or WorldSeriesOfPoker.com, but only at home since this stupid new setup at work blocks sites like this even though they're not gambling sites.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/10/08 7:23:04AM

Posted by Dialect

in Quebec it's 18
RNC
7/11/08 3:20:30AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Dialect

in Quebec it's 18

I appreciate the info.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/11/08 6:50:03AM

Posted by RNC

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Dialect

in Quebec it's 18

I appreciate the info.

haha no problemo, oh and I see your from jersey, pretty close from us... do I gotta be looking for you coming to my part of the country?
DCRage
7/11/08 7:24:46AM
Make yourself easy to spot by looking like Kid Poker, he's the top player from up there.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/11/08 7:32:46AM

Posted by DCRage

Make yourself easy to spot by looking like Kid Poker, he's the top player from up there.

Just wear a leafs jersey and some kind of brown/gray/black hat... you should fit right in there
DCRage
7/15/08 5:02:31PM
We have our Main Event Final Table:
Seat 1: Dennis Phillips -- 26,295,000 (St, Louis, Missouri) -- Account Manager
Seat 2: Craig Marquis -- 10,210,000 (Arlington, Texas) -- College Student
Seat 3: Ylon Schwartz -- 12,525,000 (Brooklyn, NY) -- Professional Poker Player
Seat 4: Scott Montgomery -- 19,690,000 (Perth, Ontario) -- Professional Poker Player
Seat 5: Darus Suharto -- 12,520,000 (Toronto, Ontario) -- Accountant
Seat 6: David "Chino" Rheem -- 10,230,000 (Los Angeles, California) -- Professional Poker Player
Seat 7: Ivan Demidov -- 24,400,000 (Moscow, Russia) -- Professional Poker Player
Seat 8: Kelly Kim -- 2,620,000 (Whittier, California) -- Professional Poker Player
Seat 9: Peter Eastgate -- 18,375,000 (Odense, Denmark) -- Professional Poker Player

They'll be back on November 9 to play down to 2, who then return November 10 and play until we have our Champion. TV coverage of the WSOP events starts next Tuesday, I think.
coldchillin
7/15/08 6:35:25PM
Hellmuth took 45th or something like that... for all his whining, he's probably been the most consistent No Limit tournament poker player ever. I was definitely pulling for him or The Mouth to win it when I seen they were both still in at 300.

I don't know a single name out of those people at the final table. Last year's final table was pretty lame.

Can Negreanu still be called "Kid Poker" when he has a receeding hair line? I read he won another bracelet this year and so did Barry Greenstein.
DCRage
7/15/08 7:06:41PM
Until the Main Event they were calling this "The Year Of The Pro". They were back with a vengeance. Negreanu & Barry both won bracelets, Mike Matusow won one too, and The Prince Is Back, Baby! Scotty Nguyen won the $50K H.O.R.S.E., which wil make for can't-miss TV. Erick Lindgren finally got his first and Layne Flack picked up another one too. Nothing for the top 3 this year though (Hellmuth despite making a few strong showings, nothing for Chan who might've been quiet, nothing for Doyle but he got his usual well-deserved ovations upon busting). I forgot her name already but we also had another woman win an open event.

As for the Main Event, the last "real" pro left was Brandon Cantu (1 bracelet), he went out in 20th. Tiffany Michelle, the final woman standing, went a few spots later so Barbara Enright remains the last woman to make a Main Event Final Table. Oh, for those curious, the Moneymaker Watch ended on Day 3 with no money for the 5th straight time. So close, and yet so far away. And yes, we had the signature Hellmuth blowup at the end.