In a world of real fighting, shouldn't we be above the Jones-Sonnen fake stuff?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » In a world of real fighting, shouldn't we be above the Jones-Sonnen fake stuff?
Gogoplatapus
8/17/12 8:07:27PM
junkie

Near the end of his Twitter war with Chael Sonnen, UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones fired off what he probably assumed was a rhetorical question.

"For everyone who thinks I'm 'falling into Chael's game,' I know exactly what I'm doing," Jones tweeted on Wednesday before adding the hashtag, "#AreYouNotEntertained."

For those of you who just joined our culture in the past few years, that's a line from the Academy Award-winning film "Gladiator." It's a popular reference, and one that feels sadly fitting here, whether Jones realizes it or not.

Gem of an article from a guy who I consider to be one of the best in the business, and a truly underrated MMA journalist, Ben Fowlkes. I think this applies to the bullshit Ronda Rousey has been spouting off with lately. We may have entered the Chael Sonnen Era of MMA.
Poor_Franklin
8/17/12 8:17:27PM
one major flaw about the super-hyped fights is that when the fight doesn't live up to what is was built to be (Rashad vs Rampage), the level of disappointment for us fans is just as big & memorable.

i dont think it's a phase, but i hope i'm wrong.

to answer your question: Yes, we should be above it. I assume for some, including myself, that the hype can be a guilty pleasure, depending on how well served it is & how anticipated the fight is.
warglory
8/17/12 8:22:14PM
There is one key component of the article's premise that is lacking...mma is not real fighting, it's a full contact "sport."
lohmann
8/17/12 8:38:41PM

Posted by warglory

it's a full contact "sport."

If it were just a "sport," the hype would be unnecessary. The UFC and its fighters are also in the entertainment business.
george112
8/17/12 8:50:20PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by warglory

If it were just a "sport," the hype would be unnecessary. The UFC and its fighters are also in the entertainment business.

I'd like to add that fights have to sell somehow.

Real or fake it doesnt really matter in the end. The eventaulity will be whoever it is talking smack in the cage one way or another.
Aether
8/17/12 9:44:26PM
I really think this is a non-issue, and the article is bordering on preaching. He pretty much openly states that the only reason anyone could like fake hype is that they're stupid, which is a false premise that he builds his case off of.

Plenty of people know that wrestling, soap operas, and all other kinds of entertainment are fake, we suspend disbelief for enjoyment. Whether it's attached to a real fight or a fake one isn't really relevant, it's entertainment. He's talking like it's some kind of deep question about morality or something. "shouldn't we be above X?" If it harms no one and gives some people enjoyment, then no, we shouldn't be "above it".
tcunningham
8/17/12 10:18:25PM
i try not to fall for the hype when it comes to big fights. it goes back to the school yard where everybody wondered who would win between the two toughest kids.

i find myself getting hyped for the smaller fights these days. guys on the undercard/prelims that got something to prove and need to make a statement in the sport. the big fights have lost a lot of luster.
FastKnockout
8/18/12 12:33:52AM
I don't enjoy the rivalries as much these days.. you just never know if it's genuine.

Favorite rivalries:

Chuck/Tito
Henderson/Bisping (TUF)
Wandy/Rampage
Tito/Ken

Least favorite:

Silva/Sonnen
Rashad/Rampage
Rashad/Jones
prophecy033
8/18/12 12:44:32AM

Posted by FastKnockout

I don't enjoy the rivalries as much these days.. you just never know if it's genuine.

Favorite rivalries:

Chuck/Tito
Henderson/Bisping (TUF)
Wandy/Rampage
Tito/Ken

Least favorite:

Silva/Sonnen
Rashad/Rampage
Rashad/Jones

i like the ones that weren't all bout being out there in the papers. Let's talk shit face to face and settle this shit in the cage.
aussiemma
8/18/12 1:41:14AM
come on ! basically everything that comes out of chael sonnen's mouth is amusing and entertaining.
KungFuMaster
8/18/12 4:04:35AM
The author alludes to Jones trying to teach mma fans a lesson when Jones said, "Are you not entertained?". I disagree. I believe Jones is blatantly disrespecting mma fans. When Jones used that quote from Gladiator, he is essentially putting himself above the sport, the promoter(s), and the fans. In other words, Jones just gave 'the finger' to the promoters and fans.

I hope Henderson drops the H-bomb on him so hard - and maybe that will help bring him back to earth.
aussiemma
8/18/12 4:25:46AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

The author alludes to Jones trying to teach mma fans a lesson when Jones said, "Are you not entertained?". I disagree. I believe Jones is blatantly disrespecting mma fans. When Jones used that quote from Gladiator, he is essentially putting himself above the sport, the promoter(s), and the fans. In other words, Jones just gave 'the finger' to the promoters and fans.

I hope Henderson drops the H-bomb on him so hard - and maybe that will help bring him back to earth.

i think your looking too much into this..he's just making a comeback to sonnen. I don't think he meant all those things through the ''are you not entertained'' quote.
KungFuMaster
8/18/12 5:10:31AM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by KungFuMaster

i think your looking too much into this..he's just making a comeback to sonnen. I don't think he meant all those things through the ''are you not entertained'' quote.

When you hate this kid as much as I do, you'll definitely see things even if it's not there.
aussiemma
8/18/12 5:19:52AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by KungFuMaster

When you hate this kid as much as I do, you'll definitely see things even if it's not there.

hehehe fair
MALICE
8/18/12 10:42:54AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Interesting take. I don't know if I would go as far as saying it meant everything you stated above, but I would like to add one thing. Arrogance can come in different forms and Jones' arrogance really bugs me. In the movie Gladiator, Crowe's character said that line to the crowd with disgust and contempt in his voice. Maybe Jones feels the same way, maybe not.
warglory
8/18/12 11:24:14AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by warglory

Well you highlighted my exact point, but went in the opposite direction. Sport is all about hype. Every sport does it, because usually sports is quantified by business.
State_Champ
8/18/12 1:29:02PM
Please, move away from the fake shit.

I'm sick of my casual-fan friends asking me if MMA is just becoming WWE.
The fake, emotional build ups distract from the fact that this is a sport with some of the most highly skilled combatants on Earth rather than two angry guys fighting.

In fact, I would say that the build-up to fights portrayed by the UFC marketing machine rarely, if ever, reflects what it really feels like to prepare for a match.

Think of all the pressure that is on fighters every time they fight, do we ever see/feel that accurately conveyed to the audience?
Maybe sometimes, but surely it is uncommon.
If the UFC can't build a fight without it coming across as WWE drama (which it does to many people) then they ought to stop for their own sake and the sake of the sport.

"At the end of the day, MMA is about two people fighting over a big sack of money. Maybe I'm a violence-loving weirdo, but that seems like enough to me."

Yes, and the audience knows it is two people fighting for money. That's why I watch: to see fights. The drama unfolds IN the fight, so we don't need any WWE-style promotion.
Boo_Radley21
8/18/12 9:43:14PM
I am so tired of the bullshit drama in the UFC that it isnt even funny.

What happened to the days of Randy and Chuck
airkerma
8/19/12 11:13:41AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I am so tired of the bullshit drama in the UFC that it isnt even funny.

What happened to the days of Randy and Chuck

Those were the days, when men were men and rivalries weren't started on twitter.