How many WORLD champs can we have?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » How many WORLD champs can we have?
JimmieDD
7/24/08 4:12:11PM
This speaks the truth.

http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/how-many-world-heavyweight-champions-is-too-many/
balack_o-bama
7/24/08 4:24:46PM

The UFC Champ of that division. Except Heavyweight, everyone else is undisputable. Thats the way it is now that pride is gone.
stock
7/24/08 4:38:34PM

Until they start having a cross promotion fights to determin best in the world, there is no world champ.
Darnok
7/24/08 4:51:20PM
Why do we need cross promotion. I like the idea the readers on the site commented. Have one main org and lots of Minor League. Otherwise we will end up with 100 orgs with 100 belts and it will be worse than it is now.
dinex
7/24/08 4:55:56PM
Pretty bad article. You can't compare team based sports with individual sports like that. If one org gets a monopoly they will have all the power and the fighters and in turn the sport will suffer because of it. In team sports it doesn't work like that. NFL for example can't lowball a good player because they're the only important football league when it's the teams that pay the wages.

The comparison with boxing in the article is also pretty dumb. Yeah all the titles in boxing is a mess but at least in boxing there actually are linear champions which is what everybody care about anyway. Most boxing fans probably can't tell you who the current middleweight WBA-titlist is but every boxing fan probably know that Pavlik is the middleweight champ.
kaduey
7/24/08 5:51:28PM

Posted by dinex

Pretty bad article. You can't compare team based sports with individual sports like that. If one org gets a monopoly they will have all the power and the fighters and in turn the sport will suffer because of it. In team sports it doesn't work like that. NFL for example can't lowball a good player because they're the only important football league when it's the teams that pay the wages.

The comparison with boxing in the article is also pretty dumb. Yeah all the titles in boxing is a mess but at least in boxing there actually are linear champions which is what everybody care about anyway. Most boxing fans probably can't tell you who the current middleweight WBA-titlist is but every boxing fan probably know that Pavlik is the middleweight champ.

I disagree with you on one org getting a monoply . I think there should be one dominate league and smaller feeder orgs bellow. I think this should ony happen if the fighters form a union though. If this happens they can protect their interests and careers alot better.
Ordep
7/24/08 6:21:54PM

Here's a post I did on March, 18.... and I still think this is the right thing to do.

Posted by Ordep

Posted by ncordless

Be ready for some big changes to how MMA fighters are signed, promoted, and managed in the next few years.

Fighters like Fedor, Randy, and other top fighters are going to quit signing exclusive to orgs. and just make the fights they want to fight. It will be just like in boxing. I'm not at all sure that it's good for the sport, isn't that something we all hate about boxing?
On the other hand, mma fighters are getting screwed compared to other professional athletes. If the UFC wants to become "The" league, it needs to take a look at other professional sports.

This is what I want to see but it is really far from becoming real. Having the different MMA org working the same way as the boxing ones (eg. WBA,WBO) would be really great and will result in more $$$$ for the fighters and REAL unified champions.

But you'll need:
-UFC agreeing to be part of this (will never happen)
-Unified Rules
-Ring or Cage, the final decision should be made.
-Big promoters

And of course this might results in few events. Anyways if this happens I'll be really happy so all the crap between organizations and bla bla bla bla will be cut off, fighters would be seen as independent units (as they are!) and not as a UFC or PRIDE or KOTC fighter.

PaleHorse
7/24/08 6:26:18PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by dinex

I disagree with you on one org getting a monoply . I think there should be one dominate league and smaller feeder orgs bellow. I think this should ony happen if the fighters form a union though. If this happens they can protect their interests and careers alot better.

Sometimes the most charismatic and talented fighters fight out of a Japan based organization because they don't want to be treated like shit, like the UFC does to all of their fighters at one point, whether its when you first join and get paid next to nothing to fight or whether its after you left and they try to run the promotion you had to move to out of business. I love the UFC, best sport in the world, and I like Dana White a lot, but sometimes they're just too thick with their tactics. I think that Fedor kind of screwed the UFC up by not joining, because now the heavyweight division has become a total joke since PRIDE fell with fighters like Brock Lesnar are used as a gateway to a title shot (no offense) but aside from the heavyweights, I think the UFC can stay dominant for now, but it'd be cool if another organization popped up that just seemed to do things better (ie. no judges, old pride rules where a fight is a draw if its not finished, better pay for fighters, medical insurance, less time spent hyping fights and more time spent making money off airing more fights, notice how long we have to wait for title fights and stuff now because of the ultimate fighter) but I don't know how well that can work out, the octagon seems to be pretty trademarked and while the heavyweight division was pretty much what got the UFC famous, they seem to think they're better off without it. Ironic.
Sir_Karl
7/24/08 7:03:33PM
We can't forget that boxing had/has multiple organizations.
Remember the WBO, WBA, IBF and a multitude of others.
However I think MMA needs 1 "brand" league...as the NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB and NASCAR are the "one and onlys" in their prospective sports.
MMA is different than boxing in the manner that most of the big league promotions sign fighters to exclusive contracts.
MMA more resembles professional wrestling in the manner of non-cross promotions.
UFC is the "brand", and has been for a long time...and probably will for a while to come.
The rest can't compare.
There really isn't too many belts though. We as fans know where most fighters fit into the rankings no matter where they fight.
Here we go...personally I think EliteXC has too many Middleweight belts.....how many are there? 3?
Lawler, Cung Le and god knows who else.
EliteXC did a big thing by buying, partnerships and cross promoting...but they need to have 1 champ in each weight class....some of their weight classes have 2 or 3 champs and some have......NONE....funny really considering how much time they already have been promoting fights.
Fedor might be number 1 in the world....but the real heavyweight champ is Big Nog.
grappler0000
7/24/08 8:14:02PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Sometimes the most charismatic and talented fighters fight out of a Japan based organization because they don't want to be treated like shit, like the UFC does to all of their fighters at one point, whether its when you first join and get paid next to nothing to fight or whether its after you left and they try to run the promotion you had to move to out of business. I love the UFC, best sport in the world, and I like Dana White a lot, but sometimes they're just too thick with their tactics. I think that Fedor kind of screwed the UFC up by not joining, because now the heavyweight division has become a total joke since PRIDE fell with fighters like Brock Lesnar are used as a gateway to a title shot (no offense) but aside from the heavyweights, I think the UFC can stay dominant for now, but it'd be cool if another organization popped up that just seemed to do things better (ie. no judges, old pride rules where a fight is a draw if its not finished, better pay for fighters, medical insurance, less time spent hyping fights and more time spent making money off airing more fights, notice how long we have to wait for title fights and stuff now because of the ultimate fighter) but I don't know how well that can work out, the octagon seems to be pretty trademarked and while the heavyweight division was pretty much what got the UFC famous, they seem to think they're better off without it. Ironic.

The only superstar ever to come from the HW division is Couture...the key weightclass for the UFC has always been LHW.
Wolfenstein
7/24/08 9:54:41PM
A lot of the supposed top heavyweights that aren't in the UFC are boring fighters. So what we have instead are exciting young rising star heavyweights that I could see cracking the top ten eventually.

Shane Carwin, Cain Velazquez, and Neil Wain. To me those are some young exciting guys.

Yeah, they could use Fedor and Arlovski, but I could do without Tim Sylvia and Josh Barnett.

If you look at the UFC's heavyweight division in it's entirety, with a mind towards the future--I think you'll see that the division is set up for future success. Some of the other organizations might have guys that are ranked higher in mma weekly or whatever, but I think a number of those guys are on the decline and it's not worth paying big bucks for older vets. I do wish they could get Arlovski back though.

Back on topic...I'll argue till I'm blue in the face regarding a single league, and I have . That's for team sports, it doesn't make any sense for an individual combat sport to do so. A single organization without competition is bound to fall into the hands of corruption somewhere down the line, and force consumers to pay out the teeth for crap. Yeah I'd like to see some cross-promotion, but right now I don't think there's a ton of fights that need to happen that can't.

cmill21
7/24/08 9:57:33PM

Posted by luke420187

A lot of the supposed top heavyweights that aren't in the UFC are boring fighters. So what we have instead are exciting young rising star heavyweights that I could see cracking the top ten eventually.

Shane Carwin, Cain Velazquez, and Neil Wain. To me those are some young exciting guys.

Yeah, they could use Fedor and Arlovski, but I could do without Tim Sylvia and Josh Barnett.

If you look at the UFC's heavyweight division in it's entirety, with a mind towards the future--I think you'll see that the division is set up for future success. Some of the other organizations might have guys that are ranked higher in mma weekly or whatever, but I think a number of those guys are on the decline and it's not worth paying big bucks for older vets. I do wish they could get Arlovski back though.

Back on topic...I'll argue till I'm blue in the face regarding a single league, and I have . That's for team sports, it doesn't make any sense for an individual combat sport to do so. A single organization without competition is bound to fall into the hands of corruption somewhere down the line, and force consumers to pay out the teeth for crap. Yeah I'd like to see some cross-promotion, but right now I don't think there's a ton of fights that need to happen that can't.

Really? Barney can finish you anywhere, he's a great fighter and IMO he would dominate the UFC HW div.
dinex
7/25/08 12:08:22AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Here we go...personally I think EliteXC has too many Middleweight belts.....how many are there? 3?
Lawler, Cung Le and god knows who else.
EliteXC did a big thing by buying, partnerships and cross promoting...but they need to have 1 champ in each weight class....some of their weight classes have 2 or 3 champs and some have......NONE....funny really considering how much time they already have been promoting fights.
Fedor might be number 1 in the world....but the real heavyweight champ is Big Nog.

EliteXC has one middleweight champion, Robbie Lawler. Cung Le is the Strikeforce champ and this fictional third belt you are talking about I don't know who belongs to. EliteXC is going to hand out belts for the rest of the weightclasses in the next couple of events. There is really no need to rush out the belts. They are still pretty new.

Fedor is the real heavyweight champ because everyone has him ranked as number 1. Minotauro is the UFC champ.
FantasyFighter
7/25/08 11:51:26AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by luke420187

Really? Barney can finish you anywhere, he's a great fighter and IMO he would dominate the UFC HW div.

I agree Barnett is very good and should dominate everyone except for one guy... Nogueira. I would love to see them fight again. There last fight was great!!!