World's No. 1-rated female boxer to shift to MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » World's No. 1-rated female boxer to shift to MMA
Shawn91111
4/16/13 8:54:55PM
The world's No. 1-rated female boxer is leaving the sport and will focus on a mixed martial arts career.
Holly Holm announced Tuesday that she will dedicate herself to an MMA career after her last scheduled boxing match May 11 against Mary McGee.
The 31-year-old Albuquerque boxer is focusing on MMA just as the sport is beginning to embrace female fighters. In February, Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche made history by fighting in UFC's first women's bout.

LINK
imanidiot777
4/16/13 9:15:45PM
Snatch her up quick UFC
OnyxShadow
4/16/13 10:22:33PM
Between Rousey, McMann, and now Holm women's MMA is getting some extremely high level athletes. The future looks bright.
pmoney
4/16/13 10:38:32PM
I want to say Holm already had one or two MMA fights... good to see her dedicate herself to MMA! She can definitely be a bigger star in this sport. She can probably make more money, and if she has some TDD who knows how far she can go.
frizzzlecake
4/16/13 11:09:09PM
More Money, more opportunity, smart move.
Budgellism
4/16/13 11:09:09PM

Posted by pmoney

I want to say Holm already had one or two MMA fights... good to see her dedicate herself to MMA! She can definitely be a bigger star in this sport. She can probably make more money, and if she has some TDD who knows how far she can go.

She fought on a Bellator card earlier this year and put a beating on her opponent. She has potential and is entering the wmma world at the perfect time.
Bubbles
4/16/13 11:23:08PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by pmoney

She fought on a Bellator card earlier this year and put a beating on her opponent. She has potential and is entering the wmma world at the perfect time.

yup, shes 3-0 with a KO via kick to the body and TKO via leg kicks so shes got more than just her hands as weapons
prozacnation1978
4/17/13 12:41:36AM
Ufc better grab her
BillsNewAccount
4/17/13 9:11:13AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Really? I don't know how well women get paid in the sport but I thought boxers traditionally made more money, a lot more.
OnyxShadow
4/17/13 12:59:41PM
Well, it depends.

The very top male boxers make tens of millions per fight. Guys on the undercard in the same event can make as little as 5k or less.

Right now is probably a really good time to make money in women's MMA. The UFC is going to pay the upper tier very well, and the road to the title is a short one at the moment.
frizzzlecake
4/17/13 7:46:30PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by frizzzlecake

Really? I don't know how well women get paid in the sport but I thought boxers traditionally made more money, a lot more.

From a women's boxing website:
Christy Martin, one of the most, if not the most successful women’s boxer of all-time was able to secure huge paydays in the 75,00-200,000 range when she was at her peak.