Need help with my workouts, not seeing much results.....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Need help with my workouts, not seeing much results.....
Biggz
12/9/09 8:13:12PM
so im pretty damn frustrated, i have been hitting the gym pretty hard for about a year now (4-5 days a week about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day) and i just think i should be much bigger. here is the thing though, i have been trying to cut fat and bulk up kind of at the same (which i know is probably a bad idea) i lift heavy weight for 6, 4, then two reps per set one week then the next i go at a lighter weight for about 10, 8, 6 reps the next week and alternate week to week with about 20 minutes of interval running about every other day. i am not getting any bigger or cut. i am afraid to eat more calories for fear that i will just gain fat, and i stopped running the intervals for close to two months and i just seemed like i gained more pudgy weight than muscle weight. What the hell do i do!?

a little more diet info:

Breakfast 8:30 am: one instant breakfast shake (mixed with 2% milk)
about 10:45 am: hard boiled egg, minus the yolk, or some days about 1/4 cup of almonds instead of the egg.
Lunch 12:30pm: Two scoops of True Mass Protein with water
about 2:30 pm: piece of fruit. (apple, orange, banana ect...)
Workout-Two scoops of protein right after workout
Dinner-usually fairly healthy home cooked stuff (not like fast food every night)
Weekends- usually no work out, and cheat a little bit, (a soda, maybe fast food, ect...)
any help appreciated!
submissionartist1
12/9/09 10:51:37PM
your doing a good job most people hit a platue at this time try my website its not the best but there maybe something and insted of doing 10 your first set do 20 of a little lighter weight then 10 of your regular working weight now for last load up and do a set of 8 try for a few days good luck
sbulldavid
12/9/09 11:06:13PM
Tuna in water, grilled or roasted chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, loads and loads of healthy milk, beans and eggs, learn how to make a good omelete. Lots of leg work and compound exercises. You got to do more than just concentration exercises. Work out with free weights more often. The best way to isolate is to use dumbell exercises one side at a time, so that you are using your stabilizer muscles at the same time. Listen to your body and change your routine from time to time. If you are doing 6-4-2 you are not lifting enough, to build strength or stamina. Try doing something like 4-4-4-3-2 with plenty of rest in between sets, and with as much weight as your 5 rep max, this routine works for me for building strength and mass, but shouldn't be used more than a month at a time and with a minimum of three days rest, and never more than every other workout.
grappler0000
12/9/09 11:11:17PM
If you're going for size, then train/eat specifically for that. It sounds like you're trying to get the best of both worlds. My suggestion would be to keep your reps low every week instead of switching back and forth. Also, it sounds like your eating to maintain your weight. If you're looking to bulk up, gotta let the diet slip a little. I'm not saying to eat unhealthy, but got to keep the calories coming in to gain size. You didn't mention your specific weight routine, but don't let it get stale. IMO most people either change up their routine too frequently or not frequently enough. If you keep doing the same exercises week after week, switch it up. I personally switch up my routine roughly every 5-6 weeks.

What is your routine? Do you do 1 muscle group per day?
ncordless
12/9/09 11:17:50PM
How old are you? It is a personal question, but a 14 year old, a 28 year old, and a 50 year old all have very different answers to your question.
sbulldavid
12/9/09 11:28:23PM

Posted by ncordless

How old are you? It is a personal question, but a 14 year old, a 28 year old, and a 50 year old all have very different answers to your question.

He makes a good point, my routine could be hazardous to anything less than a full grown adult.
submissionartist1
12/10/09 1:09:21AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by ncordless

He makes a good point, my routine could be hazardous to anything less than a full grown adult.

Biggz
12/10/09 3:16:29PM
im 21 and right around 155 give or take a few pounds on the day. i usually do one day back and bis, the next shoulders, the next chest and tris, the next day abs, the next day legs. and i will switch up the days so im not doing the same muscles the same days every week.
grappler0000
12/10/09 5:25:37PM

Posted by Biggz

im 21 and right around 155 give or take a few pounds on the day. i usually do one day back and bis, the next shoulders, the next chest and tris, the next day abs, the next day legs. and i will switch up the days so im not doing the same muscles the same days every week.

First thing I would suggest is to switch up the order of your routine just a bit. I would suggest doing chest and tris, then back and bis, then legs, then shoulders. This way, your shoulders can get the proper rest after your chest day. At the very least, I would suggest not doing chest/tris and shoulders on back to back days. As far as abs, feel free to do those every other day.
DJBlankenship
12/10/09 5:33:30PM
same thing here bub. I've been working out for about 8 months(trying to lose wieght). Lost 40 lbs and now I've just stopped. I went from 265 to 225 and I'm just stuck there with a "Big Country" figure. I can run a mile in about 6 minutes. Eat more salad, chicken, turkey and **** that is "healthy" for you than I don't know what.

I feel great, but get pissed because I work harder than anyone else that goes to that gym and still one of the biggest. I'm soon to be 29 and they are high school football/basketball players who can't do my workout routines.
jocka
12/14/09 2:07:58PM

Posted by Biggz

How tall are you? Remember at 21 your body is not done growing. From what you posted i can see a few problems. First forget about bulking up and trying to stay lean at the same time. Do one of the other.

For bulking up I think you should replace some of your snacks by meals, You should eat more chicken/tuna, more greens you should also eat more carbs like sweet patatoes per example.

Like someone already suggested i would change do chest - tri on the first day and then shoulders on your last, its too easy to get shoulders injuries when going real heavy at the gym. You should do like 4 sets of 4-6 reps real heavy stuff. Now try doing your abs more often, i normally hit the gym 4 times a week and i do abs every time.

Also remember to change the exercises that you are using every 4-6 weeks always keep your body guessing, use as much free weight as possible.

MMAPump
2/5/10 6:50:11PM
I was not seeing results either. Pissed me off especially because of how intense I was wanting to train, and how structured the diet was. A few weeks ago I started taking MMA Fighters Fuel and have seen some remarkable changes. I have more energy, less recovery time, and I feel like my workouts are building more strength.
george112
2/8/10 10:27:00AM

Posted by DJBlankenship

same thing here bub. I've been working out for about 8 months(trying to lose wieght). Lost 40 lbs and now I've just stopped. I went from 265 to 225 and I'm just stuck there with a "Big Country" figure. I can run a mile in about 6 minutes. Eat more salad, chicken, turkey and **** that is "healthy" for you than I don't know what.

I feel great, but get pissed because I work harder than anyone else that goes to that gym and still one of the biggest. I'm soon to be 29 and they are high school football/basketball players who can't do my workout routines.

Sometimes genetics plays a big role in how well someone can get "in-shape".

im not saying this is your problem.im only saying some people just cant physically get the way they want because their genetics either makes it very very very difficult OR impossible all together
BLUECOLLARWARRIOR
5/26/10 10:12:52PM
Sounds like the classical case of over-training.Small body parts should be short and Intense workouts.For example my bis only get about 15 minutes a workout.Larger muscles can of course get more work.Make sure alot of vittles (food) are consumed and at the right times. Working out Is a science and one can never master It all and everones body Is different so learn your body and see what It responds to and go from there.