Still Working Out

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Still Working Out
backalley101
9/28/12 12:42:06AM
Thanks to my daughter, I am still working out; for two months. I have lost 27.5 pounds. I'm still at it, and I feel great! Does anybody have any good advice on workouts to shed pounds quickly.
ghandikush
9/28/12 12:58:49AM
Heavily drinking water, eating diet heavy in rawer foods less processed etc

Anyway, circuit style training that works many muscles is going to burn the most energy with the least burnout. I believe yoga or at least intense stretching and joint warmups will make you flexible (less prone to injury and stronger) and you will overall feel badass.

Working cardio is great of coarse so swimming or endurance running will do wonders.

Look up a few detoxing articles online. I believe if you do the proper dietary, physical, and detox steps it will feel much better than physical alone.
cowcatcher
9/28/12 1:02:06AM
I can't run anymore, my knees are completely shot, so I bought a recumbent bike and it's been a godsend. If you don't have a pool, that's the next best single thing you can get for strictly doing cardio IMO.

Great job by the way, good for you man.
Chael_Sonnen
9/28/12 1:04:19AM
CONGRATS backalley

I recommend doing CURLS for the GIRLS

My sweetie pie loves it!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
postman
9/28/12 7:29:35AM
Not really to lose it quick other then Burn more calories then you take in works every time. Also I have to keep adding new ways to work out to mine or I get board and stop. Keep it fun don't let it become a chore.
bojangalz
9/28/12 8:56:14AM
Read This... Get the nutrition completely dialed in and the exercise will fall in to place.

Circuits training is great for overall fat loss. But if you want to build and sustain some muscle (which in turn will help your body continue to burn fat throughout the day, even when your not training) dedicate some time to a few weeks of muscle building workouts.

Supersets are a great way to lift some weights and still get done in a reasonable amount of time. Instead of lifting a set and resting for 3 minutes, then lifting the same set again try lifting, take a one minute break; then lift an opposing muscle group, take a two minute break and repeat. (i.e. bicep curls, one minute break, tricep extensions, two minute break, repeat.)

If you're looking for a good repository of exercise technique and preconstructed workouts you could try Muscle and Strength, they've got some decent resources.

And lastly- don't be suckered by supplements. There's a lot of crap out there that does absolutely NOTHING for you. If all you're trying to do is live a healthier and longer life for yourself and your family don't strive for overnight results promised by the supplement industry. You can accomplish just about everything you want/need through proper nutrition and regular exercise without any supplements at all.

Great success so far! Keep it up.
DancingDoll
9/28/12 9:09:55AM
Wow! That is a *a lot* of weight to lose in two months!

Here's my tips:

** Calories are very important, especially if you're looking at serious weight loss and not just 'toning up' or building muscle. **

- Make sure you eat breakfast. This kickstarts your metabolism and ensures you're burning more calories during the day than you would otherwise. Go with things that are low in sugar like steel-cut oats (you can add a bit of honey or fruit for sweetness) or a white-egg omelette stuffed with cottage cheese and alfalfa sprouts.

- Avoid juices in general, they're packed with sugar and hidden calories. Alcohol calories are brutal as well. They sneak up on you. Go with vodka/water with a twist of lime as the lowest cal option instead of beers/martinis or soda-mix drinks.

- If you're craving something sweet - switch to dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. You can't eat as much dark chocolate and it has some benefits with antioxidants.

- Exercise is important but don't overdo it. Overtraining can cause more damage than good. Combine different types - weight/resistance training and cardio. Don't forget to keep your legs strong and part of the workout - this will keep your metabolism going faster than working other parts of your body. Core strength training is also key (abs and lower back). Cardio (in general) will burn the most calories. If you're part of a gym and have knee issues, go with an elliptical trainer instead of a treadmill or free running.

- If there's a sport you enjoy, get involved - even things like kayaking/rowing, tennis, flat water paddling will provide exercise and core-strength training and if you're having fun doing it, it won't seem like work.

Don't try to lose weight with any short cuts. It's best to just take it in stride as a lifestyle change - the pounds will come off on their own, without even trying. Just go for more lean proteins, less carbs, cleaner foods (non-processed) and be active. Drink more water and/or green tea. And avoid eating late at night.

Bubbles
9/28/12 9:28:04AM
I've heard a few people talk about this book. One in particular lost something like 70-80 pounds in 5 months I think and he followed this book pretty closely.
ghandikush
9/28/12 10:01:10AM

Posted by DancingDoll

1 or a white-egg omelette stuffed with cottage cheese and alfalfa sprouts.

2 ** Calories are very important, especially if you're looking at serious weight loss and not just 'toning up' or building muscle. **

3 - Avoid juices in general, they're packed with sugar and hidden calories. Alcohol calories are brutal as well.

Don't try to lose weight with any short cuts. It's best to just take it in stride as a lifestyle change - the pounds will come off on their own, without even trying.

1- Egg whites wont be necessary unless youre trying to cut out cholesterol. Eat the whole egg and you'll be fine, even healthier at that.

According to the American Egg Board, an egg has 13 essential nutrients including protein, choline, folate, iron and zinc. The Harvard School of Public Health states that eggs also contain nutrients like vitamin B12, vitamin D and riboflavin that lower the risk for heart disease. It further states that an egg a day does not significantly impact cholesterol levels in healthy people and should be considered part of a healthy diet.

livestrong.com/article/335734-egg-whites-vs-yolks-in-nutrition/#ixzz27lwAPJRn

Egg yolks contain a high amount of dietary cholesterol, according to MayoClinic.com. It also states that the egg yolk contains about 213 mg of the 300 mg recommended daily amount of dietary cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol and choose to eat egg yolks, you should limit your cholesterol consumption throughout the remainder of the day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/335734-egg-whites-vs-yolks-in-nutrition/#ixzz27lwRt6Bg

2- Calories in food fuel the energy required for survival, physical activity, and the growth and replacement of cells. Surviving requires eating a minimum amount of calories per day so you have the energy to maintain a normal body temperature and keep your cells, heart, kidneys, lungs and other internal organs functioning. Men need about 1,300 calories daily to survive, according to "Essentials for Health and Wellness." Stored fat fuels your body's functions if you eat fewer than 1,300 calories until a lack of stored fat causes death by starvation.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302493-minimum-calories-per-day-for-men/#ixzz27lx6kxfK

I wrestled for years on about 800 a day to cut weight, but I was also 16 and only had highschool to worry about. A grown man should not starve to lose weight, nor should a woman. You can choose to do so but youre looking at lowering your metabolism significantly anyway so you might as well encourage a healthy body or you can gain all that cheated weight right back. 1600 a day will cut what you need and wont screw you over as long as youre not doing a ton of endurance or weight training.

3- This notion I dont like but cant argue with. Juice has a lot of calories even when pure, buuut you do need sugar and if youre going for a cookie the juice could curb that to a healthy snack. Fresh juice would be much better with no additives if done at home, no refined sugars no hfcs.

either way here is something for perusing

http://www.livestrong.com/article/328430-how-to-drink-orange-juice-lose-weight/

I believe this article is assuming someone is drinking shit juice from the store.

Shawn91111
9/28/12 10:12:03AM
I shed about 80lbs in around 8 months or so. Went from a high of 265 to around 185'ish. I cut out regular soda, only drank Diet and water. Pretty much ate chicken and veg with a few other things. I ran every day. Made it a point to go further than I did the day before. By the end I was running around 6-8 miles a day, playing basketball 5 days a week and lifting weights.

Really did nothing more than that
DancingDoll
9/28/12 10:46:25AM

Posted by ghandikush
1- Egg whites wont be necessary unless youre trying to cut out cholesterol. Eat the whole egg and you'll be fine, even healthier at that.

According to the American Egg Board, an egg has 13 essential nutrients including protein, choline, folate, iron and zinc. The Harvard School of Public Health states that eggs also contain nutrients like vitamin B12, vitamin D and riboflavin that lower the risk for heart disease. It further states that an egg a day does not significantly impact cholesterol levels in healthy people and should be considered part of a healthy diet.

livestrong.com/article/335734-egg-whites-vs-yolks-in-nutrition/#ixzz27lwAPJRn

Egg yolks contain a high amount of dietary cholesterol, according to MayoClinic.com. It also states that the egg yolk contains about 213 mg of the 300 mg recommended daily amount of dietary cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol and choose to eat egg yolks, you should limit your cholesterol consumption throughout the remainder of the day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/335734-egg-whites-vs-yolks-in-nutrition/#ixzz27lwRt6Bg

2- Calories in food fuel the energy required for survival, physical activity, and the growth and replacement of cells. Surviving requires eating a minimum amount of calories per day so you have the energy to maintain a normal body temperature and keep your cells, heart, kidneys, lungs and other internal organs functioning. Men need about 1,300 calories daily to survive, according to "Essentials for Health and Wellness." Stored fat fuels your body's functions if you eat fewer than 1,300 calories until a lack of stored fat causes death by starvation.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302493-minimum-calories-per-day-for-men/#ixzz27lx6kxfK

I wrestled for years on about 800 a day to cut weight, but I was also 16 and only had highschool to worry about. A grown man should not starve to lose weight, nor should a woman. You can choose to do so but youre looking at lowering your metabolism significantly anyway so you might as well encourage a healthy body or you can gain all that cheated weight right back. 1600 a day will cut what you need and wont screw you over as long as youre not doing a ton of endurance or weight training.

3- This notion I dont like but cant argue with. Juice has a lot of calories even when pure, buuut you do need sugar and if youre going for a cookie the juice could curb that to a healthy snack. Fresh juice would be much better with no additives if done at home, no refined sugars no hfcs.

either way here is something for perusing

http://www.livestrong.com/article/328430-how-to-drink-orange-juice-lose-weight/

I believe this article is assuming someone is drinking shit juice from the store.

Oh, I don't advocate starving but if someone is looking to lose weight, there's a lot of ways to cut-corners and still eat healthy.

Egg yolk has more fat than egg whites (10grams for 2 whole eggs vs. 0.2 grams for 3 egg-whites). If someone's main goal is weight loss, it's not enough just to exercise - they have to lower calorie consumption. I love egg-white omelettes personally. Yes, you lose vitamins you get in the yolk, but it's a toss up between the fat vs the vitamins that you can get elsewhere.

If someone is an athlete or close to their goal weight, then calorie consumption isn't as big of a deal. You're going to burn it off naturally, so yolks, juice, sugars are important or else you could go hypoglycemic.

For the average overweight or obese person, unless it's medical-reasons, they are eating way more cals. than they should and not burning what they eat. All I say is, find ways to reduce cals and fats where you can and still enjoy meals and feel full so they still get to eat more (and more often). I definitely don't advocate any of the diets where you cut out any major food groups completely. I've seen two people go into major health issues and kidney problems when they did a strict no-carb diet.

Re juice - yes, I meant the typical juice you get in the stores that are laden with artificial sugars. If you're juicing yourself, it's great, although I prefer fresh-juicing where it's mostly veggies with just an apple added for sweetness. You get a lot more vitamins that way, and I find it more filling/satisfying than just straight fruit juice. That's just personal preference though. Still, if it was a matter of reaching for a cookie or drinking juice in order to get a sugar fix - I'd rather just eat the fruit whole.

It's all options - people should keep what they really like (if they love their yolks, then eat the eggs whole) and then cut-back on other areas of their diet. As long as it balances out to the daily calorie requirements and they're clean/healthy foods, there shouldn't be a problem with dropping weight.
airkerma
9/28/12 2:42:25PM
Came here expecting a vikingr post. Left...well not dumber than before, so that's a big change.
Way to go man, that's a good amount of real weight to lose. I cut 15 in 2 weeks, beef jerky and 5 hour energy get it done.
grappler0000
9/28/12 7:41:56PM
Don't have time at the moment to type more, so I'll just give you my most valuable tip...it may have already been said, but I didn't read very far into the page. The easiest way to lose (or gain) weight is through liquids. Switching completely to water or at least minimizing calories you intake through liquids, you can make the largest stride with less discomfort than through food.

One other thing I always like to say is change your diet, don't go on a diet. Find something that is realistic and sustainable. People who "go on" diets, eventually go off of them. It's got to be a lifestyle change. Don't starve yourself...eat a healthy and balanced diet. Something you could imagine yourself still doing 5 years from now. It's OK to deviate from it every now and again, but if it's sustainable, you shouldn't be craving bad foods too much once the adjustment period is done.
backalley101
9/28/12 10:34:16PM
I just wanted to thank you all for your great advice. I started working out, and my main problem was smoking at night, and then eating things like bread and cupcakes. All that, you know, munchies shit. I cut out eating breads and eating late at night, and eating better (fruits and vegetables). So far, it has worked. I will continue my process, and some of the advice will be implemented for my own personal goal. Again, thank you Playgrounders.