Words of wisdom: Don't do the Hioki

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Words of wisdom: Don't do the Hioki
prophecy033
6/24/12 2:46:14PM
Hatsu Hioki didn't think he was ready for Jose Aldo, and now he knows he wasn't.

In April, the highest-ranked Japanese fighter in mixed martial arts turned down a shot to fight for Aldo's UFC featherweight title. He was 2-0 in the UFC, looking better in his second bout against Bart Palaszewski than his first versus George Roop, and everything was lined up for him.

Then he said "no" to Joe Silva's perfectly reasonable and expected matchmaking. Was this smart? Turns out, no, it wasn't. Regardless of how much Hioki felt he lacked for Octagon experience, no matter how much he may have wanted to tighten up his game, in spite of any lesson he could have learned that could have helped him defeat Aldo, history dictates fighters must say "yes" to such proposals.

Or else.

Link
Gogoplatapus
6/24/12 2:57:40PM
He barely beat Roop, how can he expect to hang with Jose?
prophecy033
6/24/12 3:06:49PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Aldo is just on a whole different level
FlashyG
6/24/12 3:06:52PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

He probably wouldn't have been able to hang with him, but anything can happen in a fight and even a loss to the title holder wouldn't set him back to far in the division.

After losing to Lamas he may find his next fight on an undercard with a loss possibly ending his run in the UFC.

Twenty20Dollars
6/24/12 6:05:55PM
Meh, he's a big boy espn and can make his own choices. This loss might help him see where he needs to tighten up his game before getting back into contention.

Maybe fighting elsewhere besides his home doesn't work for him.
infestructure
6/24/12 6:44:07PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Gogoplatapus

He probably wouldn't have been able to hang with him, but anything can happen in a fight and even a loss to the title holder wouldn't set him back to far in the division.

After losing to Lamas he may find his next fight on an undercard with a loss possibly ending his run in the UFC.

Yeah. If I were Hioki, I would have made a run at Aldo. Might have had the ground game to do it too.

frizzzlecake
6/25/12 12:22:16AM
Hioki better start training in America if he want's a change at 145 gold, maybe he can cut to 135? Reguardless spending some time at ATT/AlpahaMale/Jackons/AKA/Quest/ExtremeCouture He needs to come to America to help train.

KZ/Okami did and it worked out well for them.
Cooler
6/25/12 5:28:15PM
Nobodys talking about how Hioki was screwed over, he won that fight.
FlashyG
6/25/12 7:44:28PM

Posted by Cooler

How? he won the first round pretty convincingly, but the striking numbers for the next 2 rounds were 67-12 for Lamas. With Lamas having the only submission attempts as well.

I'm not sure how you could conceivably score either of the last 2 rounds for Hioki.
Cooler
6/26/12 2:37:40AM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Cooler

How? he won the first round pretty convincingly, but the striking numbers for the next 2 rounds were 67-12 for Lamas. With Lamas having the only submission attempts as well.

I'm not sure how you could conceivably score either of the last 2 rounds for Hioki.

I had a grainy view so I might have to rewatch but when I watched it live I thought Hioki took the second round in a close round and Lamas taking a very close third round. Hioki has been through those guillotines alot, he was fine and got takedowns off of un-cinched chokes that were used imo purely to counter takedowns which was smart and won him the fight along with the obviously better striking. The 2nd round was the closest round and even the one choke in the third seemed like it wasnt going to get finished, maybe I wasnt as worried about those as most. I would've been okay with a draw too.
aussiemma
6/26/12 9:00:16AM
lamas clearly won.