Womens MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Womens MMA
POLL: Women in MMA
atThey should be fully integred with larger promotions 33% (8)
They should have 1 or more fights per event, like Bodog & Elite XC 25% (6)
Should remain in women only organizations 33% (8)
They have no place in the sport 8% (2)
richieb19
4/15/07 9:15:40PM
I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on women in MMA. I can understand that it may be a touchy subject to many people, and alot of people see it as a lesser form of entertainment in MMA. By no means am I pushing for womens rights, but there are certainly some girls who can really turn up the heat, like Megumi Fujii, Gina Carano and Satoko Shinashi... heres a little HL of Shinashi.

Satoko Shinashi HL

So can the girls hand with the big boys?

Please vote!
Stickan
4/15/07 9:22:12PM
I honestly have no interest in seeing women fight. It's just something that doesn't intrigue me. I like to be able to relate and compare to fighters as far as athleticism and skill go and that's just not possible with women. That's not my only reason but it's one of them.

Of course they should be able to fight like everybody else but I'd prefer not having them taking up space on UFC/Pride cards.
richieb19
4/15/07 9:25:22PM

Posted by Stickan

I like to be able to relate and compare to fighters as far as athleticism and skill go and that's just not possible with women.

Did you watch the HL?
xthe_scottx
4/15/07 9:33:23PM
I like how Elite XC has a few women's fights per card. The only problem I have with women in MMA is female fighters aren't currently at the level that male fighters are at. I think the female fights are often much faster paced, probably because they think they are trying to prove something, but the fighters lack technique. In the future, female MMA fighters could be at the same level as male fighters but I just think it is unlikely since few women want to learn a martial art and even less want to be the best in the world at it. I really don't care what sex you are. If you are a skilled fighter, I'll watch.
Juggernaut
4/15/07 10:01:14PM
Gina Carrano is one hell of a tough fighter though and she deserves more exposure than she gets. justwatch some of her fights and you'll see what I mean. She's not one of those that just dance around and look pretty, she dives right in there and goes for the killshot. and she has great muay thai abilities as well
shackle
4/15/07 11:09:53PM
I don't see anything wrong with woman fighting long as the make it exciting :)

We all know woman have alot of aggression too lol!
crimethinc
4/15/07 11:31:50PM
Women will never fully be respected in a sport like MMA. It isn't really that much different from the WNBA. Female MMA athletes will never hold a candle to male MMA athletes. That's sounds incredibly chauvanistic but it's true. Plus in a sport where the primary audience is overwhelmingly male it wouldn't take long for promotions to start exploiting women's matches by discriminating against the fighters. Some people say they are intrigued by women's MMA and fighters like Gina Carano who are damn tough and easy on the eyes as well. But I ask, would you be just as intrigued by a women's heavyweight bout as well?
Junior24
4/15/07 11:45:11PM
Female MMA Fight

This might change your mind.
richieb19
4/15/07 11:47:46PM

Posted by Junior24

Female MMA Fight

I thought the HL I posted in the opening post was pretty impressive, but no one seems to be watching it...
xthe_scottx
4/15/07 11:56:04PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Junior24

Female MMA Fight

I thought the HL I posted in the opening post was pretty impressive, but no one seems to be watching it...

I watched it. I should have known it would be about a judoka coming from you richie... She is very skilled but it reminds me of Royce Gracie back at the start of the UFC. He looks great but he is fighting people with no ground experience.
richieb19
4/16/07 12:01:43AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Junior24

Female MMA Fight

I watched it. I should have known it would be about a judoka coming from you richie... She is very skilled but it reminds me of Royce Gracie back at the start of the UFC. He looks great but he is fighting people with no ground experience.

I think shes a Sambo background actually... same thing lol...

Yea, it does look alot better cause shes fighting lesser opponents, however thats whats to be expected in such a limited pool of quality female fighters, and is the reason I chose the "1 fight per event" option... I think theres plenty of entertaining fights possible with the girls, yet not enough to make full cards (in big name promotions) out of...
xthe_scottx
4/16/07 12:04:26AM

Posted by richieb19
Yea, it does look alot better cause shes fighting lesser opponents, however thats whats to be expected in such a limited pool of quality female fighters, and is the reason I chose the "1 fight per event" option... I think theres plenty of entertaining fights possible with the girls, yet not enough to make full cards (in big name promotions) out of...

I couldn't agree with you more.
Juggernaut
4/16/07 12:13:22AM

Posted by Junior24

Female MMA Fight

exactly, Gina Carrano lol
Junior24
4/16/07 12:13:28AM
If Zuffa gets a hold of it. I think it could be markatble. Their are some athletes out their, just that they are so spread out they are always fighting full time mom-part time fighter. I think their is about 15 fighters on this planet right now that are actually legit.
Stickan
4/16/07 3:27:32AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Stickan

I like to be able to relate and compare to fighters as far as athleticism and skill go and that's just not possible with women.

Did you watch the HL?

Yea I did.
JimiMak
4/16/07 5:03:26PM
I'd love to see it, but it won't happen. I enjoy it on Elite and Bodog and Hook n Shoot. I think it's like women's boxing. Just a much smaller portion of the populace than fight fans already make up.
D-Boy
4/16/07 5:52:27PM
You have to respect every fighter and there are some talented females out there,

On the note of Gina I would like to see her make weight now and then and not screw people like she did against Rosi Sexton
bayonetxwork
4/16/07 5:57:54PM
I'm with Stickfan, I have no interest in watching them, but hey, if they want to fight for other fans, thats fine with me. Give them the WUFC, or WPride, its cool with me. I just won't be buying the PPV's.
crimethinc
4/17/07 1:15:23PM
Nevermind. Why can't you erase your own posts?
AchillesHeel
4/17/07 4:47:19PM

Posted by richieb19

By no means am I pushing for womens rights[...]

Why not?
shinobi
4/18/07 5:07:44PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I like how Elite XC has a few women's fights per card. The only problem I have with women in MMA is female fighters aren't currently at the level that male fighters are at. I think the female fights are often much faster paced, probably because they think they are trying to prove something, but the fighters lack technique. In the future, female MMA fighters could be at the same level as male fighters but I just think it is unlikely since few women want to learn a martial art and even less want to be the best in the world at it. I really don't care what sex you are. If you are a skilled fighter, I'll watch.

i like it when they have 2 womens fights on teh card, as long as they have like 7 + men fights. And not all women fighters lack tehcnique, watch gina carano, she's great. but yeah i agree with you otherwise props!