Winter Tire rant....

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Winter Tire rant....
Evilwig
11/6/08 1:38:55PM
In Quebec, starting this winter tire are mandatory from December 15 to March 15.
If you don't comply you can be fine..

I think it's a pretty weird law and I was wondering if any other state or province has the same law?
DCRage
11/6/08 1:41:25PM
Around my parts they have similar when what we call a "Snow Emergency" goes into effect, which basically means you have to have snow tires or chains on your tires to be driving on the roads, or at least roads designated "Snow Emergency Routes"-usually that's major roads/highways. I don't think it's something they make a big deal out of if only because it usually takes a major storm or blizzard to have such a policy go into effect here (maybe once every 3-4 years).
Evilwig
11/6/08 1:44:04PM

Posted by DCRage

Around my parts they have similar when what we call a "Snow Emergency" goes into effect, which basically means you have to have snow tires or chains on your tires to be driving on the roads, or at least roads designated "Snow Emergency Routes"-usually that's major roads/highways. I don't think it's something they make a big deal out of if only because it usually takes a major storm or blizzard to have such a policy go into effect here (maybe once every 3-4 years).

Well at least it's only for emergency, I just wonder if is it better to have people with really cheap winter tire or good 4 season tires...
Darnok
11/6/08 2:04:17PM
We have the same law I just can't remember what the dates are. Basically if you don't have good tires in this part of the country you can't get out your driveway anyway.

And boy oh boy is it ever snowing out there right now. Maybe the ski hill will open early this year.
Rush
11/6/08 2:10:31PM
We don't have it in Ontario, but I think it's a good idea. Not having snow tires on your car (in an area that gets so much snowfall) is another example of how people can put others or property in danger because they don't want to be responsible drivers.

The main problem with it is that (to my knowledge) they haven't given people enough time to prepare and it's really hard to get snow tires these days, even outside of Quebec.

I'm all for mandatory snow tires in Ontario. Likewise I am for the law against using your cell phone while driving.
Evilwig
11/6/08 2:15:10PM

Posted by Rush

We don't have it in Ontario, but I think it's a good idea. Not having snow tires on your car (in an area that gets so much snowfall) is another example of how people can put others or property in danger because they don't want to be responsible drivers.

The main problem with it is that (to my knowledge) they haven't given people enough time to prepare and it's really hard to get snow tires these days, even outside of Quebec.

I'm all for mandatory snow tires in Ontario. Likewise I am for the law against using your cell phone while driving.

Maybe it's not the law itself that bug me but the fact that people need to be told to put winter tire or not to drive with a cellphone. To me, it's basic knowledge and common sense.
Rush
11/6/08 2:25:33PM

Posted by Evilwig

Maybe it's not the law itself that bug me but the fact that people need to be told to put winter tire or not to drive with a cellphone. To me, it's basic knowledge and common sense.

Yeah, but as I stated in a rant thread last night, people seem to be dumb, lazy, idiotic, or a combination.
MALICE
11/6/08 2:50:21PM
No such laws here in Minnesota. But 80% of vehicles here are 4x4's anyways.
MMAcca
11/6/08 4:20:30PM
In the UK by law, we have to have tyres on our cars all year round!

Darnok
11/6/08 5:12:10PM

Posted by MMAcca

I hear they tried the same law in Newfoundland but they had to refine the law to say they needed two tires on each side.
MMAcca
11/6/08 5:21:10PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by MMAcca

I hear they tried the same law in Newfoundland but they had to refine the law to say they needed two tires on each side.

Kracker_Jap
11/6/08 7:24:07PM
Yes in washington state we have tires in the summer spring fall and winter...
Not a law though but it probally will be soon
MMAcca
11/7/08 1:27:37AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Yes in washington state we have tires in the summer spring fall and winter...
Not a law though but it probally will be soon

I'd definately recommend it, grip is a real problem otherwise........

Cornering, don't get me started on corners......

moob
11/7/08 12:38:05PM

Posted by Rush

We have that law here in the UK - only problem is the people who most need to adhere to it - ignore it - see van drivers/HGV drivers/women driving their kids to school in BMW X5s.

You get 3 penalty points and a £60 fine for breaking the law - I just don't think it's enforced enough.
MMAcca
11/7/08 1:28:17PM

Posted by moob

You get 3 penalty points and a £60 fine for breaking the law - I just don't think it's enforced enough.

Evilwig
11/7/08 1:29:55PM

Posted by moob

Posted by Rush

We have that law here in the UK - only problem is the people who most need to adhere to it - ignore it - see van drivers/HGV drivers/women driving their kids to school in BMW X5s.

I don't think cops would spend a lot of times looking at tire....
moob
11/7/08 1:34:29PM

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by moob

Posted by Rush

Yeah, but I'm not talking about tyres - I'm talking about idiots driving around roundabouts in large vehicles on their cell phones discussing which latte they're gonna have at Starbucks.
Evilwig
11/7/08 1:37:22PM

Posted by moob

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by moob

Posted by Rush

Yeah, but I'm not talking about tyres - I'm talking about idiots driving around roundabouts in large vehicles on their cell phones discussing which latte they're gonna have at Starbucks.

Oh sorry about.

Yeah I also think they should add Celphone blocker in the bus and in the video store. God, I hate cell phone.
Rush
11/7/08 1:41:21PM

Posted by Evilwig

It's probably something they'll check if they pull you over or do a RIDE program.
Evilwig
11/7/08 1:44:44PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Evilwig

It's probably something they'll check if they pull you over or do a RIDE program.

Sorry, but what's a RIDE program?
moob
11/7/08 4:05:12PM

Posted by Evilwig

Oh sorry about.

Yeah I also think they should add Celphone blocker in the bus and in the video store. God, I hate cell phone.

I don't have a problem with cell phones bud, just assholes using them in dangerous situations where their concentration is distracted.
king_katool
11/7/08 4:06:15PM

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by Rush

Posted by Evilwig

lol you quebecers, you guys dont have the RIDE program over there, on nights where drinking is the thing ex. new years, superbowl etc. they set up checkpoints and pull all your asses over and check everything out
Evilwig
11/7/08 10:59:22PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by Rush

Posted by Evilwig

lol you quebecers, you guys dont have the RIDE program over there, on nights where drinking is the thing ex. new years, superbowl etc. they set up checkpoints and pull all your asses over and check everything out

We have that but it's doesn't a fancy name, we just call that "barrage routier",
Svartorm
11/8/08 3:00:39AM
Weird law!

Last winter I went to put my snow tires on, and being as my father and I both have trucks with spares and snow tires, we have a basement full of tires. So, I grabbed my snow tires, had them put on and drove the entire winter without incident. So, spring rolls around and I go into the basement to grab my normal tires, and see my snow tires sitting there. Confused, I go outside and look and see that I had apparently grabbed a spare set of normal tires and had them swapped out before the winter, and drove all winter like that without incident. Moral of the story: Snow tires are a sham.