If BJ wins....who gets next shot (Florian:155 or Alves:170)[POLL]

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If BJ wins....who gets next shot (Florian:155 or Alves:170)[POLL]
Next Page »
POLL: IF BJ wins: which title he should defend 1st?
155 vs Florian (Alves wait in line next) 36% (31)
155 vs Florian (Alves get another fight) 23% (20)
170 vs Alves (Florian wait in line next) 23% (20)
170 vs Alves (Florian get another fight) 6% (5)
Let Don King decide this 13% (11)
Ordep
11/18/08 12:08:35PM

Funny that the champions from two division with the "OBVIOUS title shot earned" contenders are fighting each other making them wait. I don't really mind since BJ-GSP-2 will be awesome but after watching the press conference Dana basically said....
BJ wins: Defend both titles
GSP wins : A. Silva next (hopefully after Alves gets his shot)

So the poll question is : IF ___BJ PENN___ wins, which title he should defend first. 155 or 170?

The_Metal_Maniac
11/18/08 12:16:37PM
If BJ wins, and that's an incredibly huge emphasis on the word if lol. He should fight Kenny Florian at 155. He's much more exciting to watch at his natural weight. Ken Flo vs. BJ seems like a much more interesting fight than BJ against Alves.

Ordep
11/18/08 12:22:22PM

Posted by roncomanjason

If BJ wins, and that's an incredibly huge emphasis on the word if lol. He should fight Kenny Florian at 155. He's much more exciting to watch at his natural weight. Ken Flo vs. BJ seems like a much more interesting fight than BJ against Alves.

Yeah, not preference. I just did it so GSP nutthuggers can see the purpose of the topic and don't start their " Not gonna happen, GSP will destroy him" replies, anyways I'm sure they will.
wiggum
11/18/08 12:24:25PM
im guessing he will fight at 170 first since his weight will already be up and dropping back down to 155 to fight will be a bit much.....i wouldnt be suprised if bj won that he relinquished the lightweight title
GrizzlyChadams
11/18/08 12:31:48PM
I'd be more interested in seeing BJ/ Florian first, espically considering Florians words after his fight sat. Seems like he's already trying to hype up the fight.
postman
11/18/08 12:57:00PM

Posted by wiggum

im guessing he will fight at 170 first since his weight will already be up and dropping back down to 155 to fight will be a bit much.....i wouldnt be suprised if bj won that he relinquished the lightweight title

I hope so. better match ups at 170
DCRage
11/18/08 1:00:16PM
KenFlo. He's basically been screwed out of one title shot already, don't make the mistake again.
haggiswashere
11/18/08 1:14:48PM
Alves and then Florian. Alves was first. and i don't want to wait so long to see him fight again. (I know technically florian was first but we just saw him fight.)
telnights
11/18/08 1:24:15PM
I really feel Florian is more deserving. Alves missed weight just one fight ago and has got caught using drugs to make weight. I think he should fight again to prove his weight issues are behind him.
JBatch
11/18/08 1:25:24PM
It would have to be Kenny at 155 because you can't have the champ of a division not fighting to defend his belt for over a year. The last LW title fight was in May and Penn doesn't fight GSP until the end of January so I am thinking Penn vs. Flo in late April.
Darnok
11/18/08 1:26:13PM
Florian First
mikevolz
11/18/08 1:38:14PM
if bj wins hes probably going to vacate the title at 155, or there will be a 155 interim title, which will be

florian vs sherk/guida/diaz/maynard

State_Champ
11/18/08 2:50:22PM
Alves should get the next shot at the 170 title and if thats BJ's belt then Alves should fight BJ.
Florian fought recently and was only just promised a title shot, while Alves has been waiting a longer time (also, Florian already had a title shot once)

But to be honest I'm just trying to rationalize because I want to see Alves fight again.
stock
11/18/08 4:39:49PM
I voted Alves, since I am really hoping BJs next fight will determine what weight class he finishes his UFC career in.

I am hoping that if he wins, he will give up his LW belt and focus 100% on WW until the day he retires.
If he loses to GSP, I hope he focuses the rest of his UFC career on LW.
nickcuc547
11/18/08 5:12:56PM
i think bj will vacate the lw belt if he beats gsp, in that case make a sherk vs. maynard #1 contender fight winner gets florian for the vacant title. bj would then defend against alves. but i think gsp wins (but it will be a close and entertaining fight), so we will get alves vs. gsp for ww title and bj vs. florian for the lw title, awesome.
RedCloud
11/18/08 6:28:12PM
Florian should fight GSP after BJ.
Why not? Hes The coolest guy now right?
He's unstoppable and awesome enough to call BJ.
Lots of you actually think he can beat Penn... so GSP!
nickcuc547
11/18/08 7:27:45PM

Posted by RedCloud

Florian should fight GSP after BJ.
Why not? Hes The coolest guy now right?
He's unstoppable and awesome enough to call BJ.
Lots of you actually think he can beat Penn... so GSP!

ya i don't know where people get off saying florian can take bj. penn is better than him in every aspect of the game.
EvenFlow
11/19/08 1:35:50AM
Alves needs another fight?... 7 of you picked Alves to have another fight and have Florian get the first crack at BJ?

How many top 5s and 10s does Thiago have to beat before people are satisfied, how many top 10s has Florian beat Zero, he just happens to have a lot of wins and hasnt had a fight with a great wrestler since Sherk. Huerta wasnt top 10 and Joe wasnt in there going into 91 or 80 for that matter, I'm NOT going by UFC rankings.

Not dissin' on Kenny at all, he is next or second in line to Sherk but theres no way he is ahead of Thiago to get a shot at whatever belt BJ has. I know the LW belt wont be defending for a little while after BJ beats GSP... GSP nutthuggers will disagree but were not talking to you, I think he has a decent shot at beating BJ, dont write a paragraph on how wrong you think picking BJ is.

At the very least if they do have Kenny fight BJ for LW fist than Alves does not need another fight and he can wait it out, my point being Thiago is more worthly of a title shot than Florian is competition wise. Besides Thiago would brutalize Kenny anyway.

Thiago should be fighting GSP at 94, 95 or 96 and BJ should be fighting Florian at 94, 95 or 96 but thats the UFCs decision.
prozacnation1978
11/19/08 2:57:41AM
i think if he does win i think the ufc will force bj to give up light weight belt

kenflo will fight sherk again or something
Wolfenstein
11/19/08 4:23:51AM
I think the much tougher challenge would be Thiago Alves, but I think Kenny should get a crack at it frst considering he's already risked his title shot once by fighting Joe Stevenson. If Thiago wants to sit out, that's cool. He should receive the same treatment Kenny did. Take another fight if you want to compete, or bide your time.
Boo_Radley21
11/19/08 10:39:20AM
Florian just had a fight at the last event so it will probably be Alves first.

But BJ is losing this fight against GSP so it's all good.
AchillesHeel
11/19/08 10:46:36AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

But BJ is losing this fight against GSP so it's all good.

Heh. That's what I'm hoping for too. Like the Alaskan legislature, "we're just going to wait and hope that Stevens loses, so we won't have to decide what to do."

[later...] "Whew. That was close."
State_Champ
11/19/08 11:01:50AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think the much tougher challenge would be Thiago Alves, but I think Kenny should get a crack at it frst considering he's already risked his title shot once by fighting Joe Stevenson. If Thiago wants to sit out, that's cool. He should receive the same treatment Kenny did. Take another fight if you want to compete, or bide your time.

I thought when Thiago fought Koscheck that he was granted a title shot while Florian wasn't granted one until after he beat Joe. If this were the case then I would say Thiago should get a cance first because he has been waiting longer. ( also, IMO Thiago has faced the better opponents)
telnights
11/19/08 11:55:24AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Alves needs another fight?... 7 of you picked Alves to have another fight and have Florian get the first crack at BJ?

How many top 5s and 10s does Thiago have to beat before people are satisfied, how many top 10s has Florian beat Zero, he just happens to have a lot of wins and hasnt had a fight with a great wrestler since Sherk. Huerta wasnt top 10 and Joe wasnt in there going into 91 or 80 for that matter, I'm NOT going by UFC rankings.

Not dissin' on Kenny at all, he is next or second in line to Sherk but theres no way he is ahead of Thiago to get a shot at whatever belt BJ has. I know the LW belt wont be defending for a little while after BJ beats GSP... GSP nutthuggers will disagree but were not talking to you, I think he has a decent shot at beating BJ, dont write a paragraph on how wrong you think picking BJ is.

At the very least if they do have Kenny fight BJ for LW fist than Alves does not need another fight and he can wait it out, my point being Thiago is more worthly of a title shot than Florian is competition wise. Besides Thiago would brutalize Kenny anyway.

Thiago should be fighting GSP at 94, 95 or 96 and BJ should be fighting Florian at 94, 95 or 96 but thats the UFCs decision.

How fast people forget that Alves didn't even make weight for one of those top ten fights. He didn't even try to make weight. This wasn't the first time he missed weight either. Then not to long ago he was caught using drugs to make weight. You add all that up he needs to prove that he can keep making weight ok. He should have another fight before they main event the guy for a fight he might not even make weight for. Don't get me wrong he is a great fighter but I truly feel he should be fighting at one weight class up or drop some mass to stay at WW.
pv3Hpv3p
11/19/08 2:20:02PM
Alves already has to wait too long for his title shot...

He just beat 3 top 5 (or at least top 10) opponents in a row; in very convincing fashion... He's already going to have to wait untill April or somewhere there abouts for his title fight... Give Kenny another tight along the way...
EvenFlow
11/19/08 11:05:22PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by EvenFlow

How fast people forget that Alves didn't even make weight for one of those top ten fights. He didn't even try to make weight. This wasn't the first time he missed weight either. Then not to long ago he was caught using drugs to make weight. You add all that up he needs to prove that he can keep making weight ok. He should have another fight before they main event the guy for a fight he might not even make weight for. Don't get me wrong he is a great fighter but I truly feel he should be fighting at one weight class up or drop some mass to stay at WW.

So what if he didnt make weight for Hughes or whoever, hes not fighting for a title (which to me dosnt matter at all if its non title) and he has to cut 20+ pounds, I see your argument for Thiago moving up to MW but he wouldnt be as effective there and neither would Georges if you asked me honestly.

When your ankle or leg is injured like Thiago has had multiple times you cant train properly and he didnt wanna have the fight postponed since if you remember correctly UFC 85 was a doomed card and he and Matt stepped up and saved that card from not happening.

This is kinda funny to me because he beats Karo, Hughes and Kos all top 5's at the time and your excuse for him needing another fight (which is dosnt) is weight issues and getting caught with minor charges to heal an injury? sure its the wrong move but its over now, obviously it wasnt severe enough to overturn that fight so its really irrelevant, I know a lot of ppl dont like change (or quick change for that matter) but Thiago is here to stay and is next in line period, I say he'd beat George but not BJ for the belt.
Jackelope
11/19/08 11:11:03PM

Posted by EvenFlow

So what if he didnt make weight for Hughes or whoever, hes not fighting for a title (which to me dosnt matter at all if its non title) and he has to cut 20+ pounds, I see your argument for Thiago moving up to MW but he wouldnt be as effective there and neither would Georges if you asked me honestly.

Kind of odd logic there if you ask me. Let me see if I'm getting this part right. I may be misunderstanding.

You seem to be saying that making weight doesn't matter at all if it's a non-title fight??
EvenFlow
11/20/08 2:22:44AM
I could care less if its non title, most of them just cut weight anyway coming in 10-20 over by fight time, so for Thiago to be at 173 or whatever and he comes into the fight at 190+ dosnt matter to me, Matt probably cuts quite a bit as well and he didnt have to agree to the fight because Thiago missed weight.
Jackelope
11/20/08 8:18:54AM
So then Brock Lesnar could come down to 155 and wreck all the competition but never take a title shot and everything would be fine?

Really, not requiring them to make weight is .... I don't even know how to describe it without sounding like I'm insulting. It's a huge part of the fight game. Yes, guys are overweight come fight time, but there has to be a starting point. If I were you I'd just stop arguing this right now because NOBODY is going to agree with you, LOL. If they do their stock goes down big time IMO
EvenFlow
11/20/08 6:51:25PM

Posted by Jackelope

So then Brock Lesnar could come down to 155 and wreck all the competition but never take a title shot and everything would be fine?

Really, not requiring them to make weight is .... I don't even know how to describe it without sounding like I'm insulting. It's a huge part of the fight game. Yes, guys are overweight come fight time, but there has to be a starting point. If I were you I'd just stop arguing this right now because NOBODY is going to agree with you, LOL. If they do their stock goes down big time IMO

You completely missed the point I think they should be around the weight just dont care if they make it for a non title fight and I could care less if you or anyone agrees with my opinion, at no point did I say I was right I said it was strictly opinion, so direct your nose in someones elses business if you dont like it because I dont give a crap that you think you know more than me about MMA or this topic and insinuate I'm stupid for having an opinion different from yours or whoever, get over it.
Pages: [1] 2