Following win, Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem hopes to put steroid talk behind

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Following win, Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem hopes to put steroid talk behind
jae_1833
5/16/10 1:04:15PM
Sounds confident
"I know there are some individuals who are responsible for these allegations, and all these individuals are in some way associated with an opponent I beat or personally dislike me for some reason," Overeem said. "Then you've got the rumors spreading. But like I said, it's people that don't like me for some reason – of course they're going to be against me.

"It's just a matter of time. I'm going to defend my title, and I'm going to do the drug testing like everybody else. Once that's clear, we're done with that."
SmileR
5/16/10 1:42:21PM
If he's passed the drugs test there is little anyone can say. I'll admit I thought his long absence from america was due to steroids but he fought last night and must have passed some drugs tests so I'm excited he's back. I wont be doubting him again.

Fedor and Overeem sounds like a killer fight!
Kpro
5/16/10 2:06:21PM

Posted by SmileR

If he's passed the drugs test there is little anyone can say. I'll admit I thought his long absence from america was due to steroids but he fought last night and must have passed some drugs tests so I'm excited he's back.

We won't hear about the results for 2 weeks and does anyone know that the testing is also testing for masking agents like diuretics, Probenecid, epitestosterone, hCG, etc.

I won't say that I think Overeem has taken steroids, but any athlete that knows when they'll get tested, can pass a drug test with flying colors, even if being tested for masking agents.

It's not like MMA is a sport where you walk into practice one day and you have a note on your locker that your test will be right after practice.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/17/10 7:54:17PM

It's not like MMA is a sport where you walk into practice one day and you have a note on your locker that your test will be right after practice.

I would prefer this over the current standard of testing. I am a big fan of cleaning up all sports. Steroids are running too many games.
telnights
5/18/10 3:50:43AM

Posted by Kpro
We won't hear about the results for 2 weeks and does anyone know that the testing is also testing for masking agents like diuretics, Probenecid, epitestosterone, hCG, etc.

I won't say that I think Overeem has taken steroids, but any athlete that knows when they'll get tested, can pass a drug test with flying colors, even if being tested for masking agents.

Both CA and NV commissions are doing random drug testing now. But this Strikeforce event was held in Missouri who has no drug testing policy at all. The only reason I think Strikeforce even did any testing at this event was because of Overeem and the allegations surrounding him. But the real ? here is did they do the testing to stop the allegations or in hopes of busting Overeem and being able to strip him.
lohmann
5/18/10 4:05:20AM
Alistair Overeem's obviously supplemented his growth, but not all supplements are illegal under athletic commissions.

I really do not find his growth that unnatural. He was a small LHW that probably walked around at 220, and over the course of two or three years he's put on an additional 20-30 pounds of muscle while working with strength and conditioning coaches. I wouldn't be surprised if he has used steroids on that route, but growing into a natural frame and leaving behind what was probably an unhealthy one is not the perfect reason to call him out for steroids.

I find it much more interesting when a fighter like Mir, who had "looked natural" for years suddenly moves from a 245-lb walkaround weight to pack on additional muscle and now walk around at 280 (all over the course of about six months, from the Lesnar to Kongo fights).

Appearance and visual aid is not a great way to determine who is using steroids. For all the Sherks and Shamrocks, there are Barnetts and Baby Fedors.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/10 4:33:22AM
There needs to be a uniform code of testing. I can't presently think of any way for this to be done but it sickens me that, without fail. athletes continue to use and get busted for steroids. I have no respect those that lied to Congress only to be busted and am really pissed that the Mitchell report hasn't just released all the names. That's just baseball. Much like this forum has rules that we all read when we signed up so, too, do professional leagues have lists of banned substances. This sh*t about not knowing something was banned is a lame excuse. There's numbers that they can call to find out these answers. Now, that being said, I do think that agencies need to be more forthright about the chemicals that make up their products and those people that they call to find out of a substance is banned need to be more accommodating and resourceful but it's there for athletes. That whole star-cap thing that the Williams wall and Grant were a part of is an example of a company not being forthright about their products contents.

slapshot
5/18/10 12:18:03PM
I guess people have just not seen him for some time but he's been this size for umm years now, all the conspiracy theory BS is just that.

I find it comical that fans act like most fighters don't use illegal substances to enhance their physical attributes, and attack Overeem like he's a steroids poster boy when we all know that title goes to Josh Barnett. I also question why this would be brought up now and not back when he bulked up. It seems like fans will grab on to anything that discredits a fighter they dont care for.....
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/10 5:28:34PM
My comments are regarding steroids in general and testing policies. I am not discrediting Overeem or any other athlete who hasn't had a positive test. I should make that clear.