who would win in their prime?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » who would win in their prime?
Next Page »
Naturaldisaster
6/9/07 6:51:43AM
I was just sittin here bored and wondering who would have won if Ken Shamrock and Randy Couture fought each other in their primes. I know there is really no way of knowing but who do you think would win?
I think randy would have beat ken
richieb19
6/9/07 9:08:59AM
In their primes Ken would have destroyed Randy, and I'm not saying this because I'm Ken's #1 fan either... Randy always had trouble with big grapplers back in the day, and although Ken's Olympic wrestling background doesnt compare to Randy's, it's there, as shown when he faught Severn at UFC 6... The fight would have most likely ended in a leglock from the bottom... but then again I'm no psychic...
jdubs
6/9/07 12:02:59PM
are u serious do u even have to ask... randy is soo much better now than ken was in his prime. ken is just a dumbass brawler
richieb19
6/9/07 12:15:52PM

Posted by jdubs

are u serious do u even have to ask... randy is soo much better now than ken was in his prime. ken is just a dumbass brawler

A dumbass brawler? 23 out of 27 wins come from submission, I don't see much of a brawler there... I will admit that Randy is far better than Ken now, hes evolved very well and still fights like hes in his 30's, but the question was who would win in their primes, and you obviously have no clue what youre talking about...
Naturaldisaster
6/9/07 12:17:04PM

Posted by jdubs

you really aren't very smart when it comes to mma are you? Ken isn't a brawler, Ken mostly a "take you down and leg lock you" type fighter, not a Stand up war type guy (though he did some again Oleg taktarov (I don't even know if thats how its spelled). now Tank is a brawler. Big difference between Shamrock and Tank.
richieb19
6/9/07 12:25:06PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by jdubs

you really aren't very smart when it comes to mma are you? Ken isn't a brawler, Ken mostly a "take you down and leg lock you" type fighter, not a Stand up war type guy (though he did some again Oleg taktarov (I don't even know if thats how its spelled). now Tank is a brawler. Big difference between Shamrock and Tank.

Well theres more to it than that, but it definately sums him up much better than "dumbass brawler"...
mkiv9secsupra
6/9/07 12:26:13PM
im sorry guys but i have to go with couture. Hes always been a much smarter fighter. Shamrock had lots of power and awesome subs but i think randy coulr sprawl out of most of shamrocks takedowns. And in the clinch Randy wins hands down. BUT if shamrock could take him down then he very well could have subbed randy......but all in all i think Randy would win.
richieb19
6/9/07 12:29:35PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

im sorry guys but i have to go with couture. Hes always been a much smarter fighter. Shamrock had lots of power and awesome subs but i think randy coulr sprawl out of most of shamrocks takedowns. And in the clinch Randy wins hands down. BUT if shamrock could take him down then he very well could have subbed randy......but all in all i think Randy would win.

Personally I think it would go alot like the Kimo fight at UFC 8... Randy would get on top, Shamrock would roll and get a kneebar, the end... realistically you have to see that Randy's losses, other than Chuck Liddell and the flukish win by Vitor, Randy has been beaten by notheing else but large grapplers: Barnett, Ricco, Enson, Mikhail, Overeem...

...but again let me say that I'm no psychic, and this is nothing more than my prediction on a fight that never happened.
Naturaldisaster
6/9/07 12:31:14PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by jdubs

Well theres more to it than that, but it definately sums him up much better than "dumbass brawler"...

yeah your definitly right. I haven't seen alot of shamrocks old stuff but I've seen a couple old fights and I just know He wasn't a dumbass brawler. So I don't know to much about him but I know he wasn't that.
richieb19
6/9/07 12:32:26PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by jdubs

yeah your definitly right. I haven't seen alot of shamrocks old stuff but I've seen a couple old fights and I just know He wasn't a dumbass brawler. So I don't know to much about him but I know he wasn't that.

go to veoh.com, someone there uploaded everyone of Shamrock's fights...
Naturaldisaster
6/9/07 12:34:23PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by richieb19

Posted by jdubs

go to veoh.com, someone there uploaded everyone of Shamrock's fights...

alright, thanks dude
KYGUY07
6/9/07 1:15:58PM
I think Couture would have beaten Shamrock back in his prime, easily.
Ultimate_fighter
6/9/07 1:29:03PM
Couture for sure!
loller90278
6/9/07 1:44:50PM
i would have bet the house on shamrock... we're talking about them in their PRIME, when ken was the most dangerous man alive..

i bet if couture didn't fight sylvia and stayed retired, people would have said shamrock would have won in their prime
jdubs
6/9/07 5:06:38PM
oh my bad... "submission artist" give me a break you go watch some more mma dvd's you nerds
jdubs
6/9/07 5:08:43PM
isnt ken like the worlds 86 th or 87th most dangerous man
richieb19
6/9/07 6:24:01PM

Posted by jdubs

isnt ken like the worlds 86 th or 87th most dangerous man

In all seriousness, tune it down a bit... you can have your opinons and express them all you want, but don't belittle people or bash fighters... clear?
MattHughes
6/9/07 7:11:07PM
Randy easily, no offense to Ken hes just not in the same league as Randy Couture
mkiv9secsupra
6/9/07 8:40:21PM

Posted by jdubs

oh my bad... "submission artist" give me a break you go watch some more mma dvd's you nerds

haha for someone whos favorite sport is track and field im pretty sure you are NOT allowed to call people that.
Naturaldisaster
6/9/07 9:39:16PM

Posted by jdubs

dude show some respect. We're all mma fans and we all have our opinions but some opinions should be kept to yourself.
fedorwins1
6/9/07 10:01:38PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by jdubs

haha for someone whos favorite sport is track and field im pretty sure you are NOT allowed to call people that.

Whoa don't go bashing track and field now, that's my second favorite sport( to you). You have to do track and field to appreciate it I guess.
warglory
6/9/07 10:28:26PM
Shamrock, in his prime, was merely a submission artist with some GnP abilities (don't get me wrong, Shamrock was good at what he did). But mostly Shamrock, in MMA, has been about the lay and pray and the occasional arm or leg attempt. In Couture's prime, he can (notice I didn't say that in the past tense) drop just about anyone and punch through most people's guards. Shamrock would be overpowered by Couture and considering Shamrock had little take down defense in his prime, Couture would bring him down whenever he wanted. And on the floor, Shamrock would be in serious trouble. Shamrock has better submission abilities, but Couture's scramble is superior to Shammy's and once Couture was either in Shamrock's guard, side position, or even worse, full mount, Shamrock would be done.

I think this match would be over early in the first.
jdubs
6/10/07 12:10:26AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by jdubs

Whoa don't go bashing track and field now, that's my second favorite sport( to you). You have to do track and field to appreciate it I guess.

wow, thank you
jdubs
6/10/07 12:16:00AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by jdubs

not sure i see the humor in that, is it funny that i compete at an elite colligate level and i get my school paid for nd that i have had the opportunity to meet and train with some of the finest athletes in the world? does that makes me a nerd? oh yea not to mention all the fine ass girls on the team.
richieb19
6/10/07 2:32:43AM

Posted by warglory

Shamrock, in his prime, was merely a submission artist with some GnP abilities (don't get me wrong, Shamrock was good at what he did). But mostly Shamrock, in MMA, has been about the lay and pray and the occasional arm or leg attempt. In Couture's prime, he can (notice I didn't say that in the past tense) drop just about anyone and punch through most people's guards. Shamrock would be overpowered by Couture and considering Shamrock had little take down defense in his prime, Couture would bring him down whenever he wanted. And on the floor, Shamrock would be in serious trouble. Shamrock has better submission abilities, but Couture's scramble is superior to Shammy's and once Couture was either in Shamrock's guard, side position, or even worse, full mount, Shamrock would be done.

Thats a good assessment, however youre wrong on a few things... as far as scrambling goes, Shamrock>>>>>Couture, its a catch thing... Secondly from any position other than full mount I doubt Couture could have held him down...

...again this is just me guessing, but check veoh.com either way to educate yourselves...
mkiv9secsupra
6/10/07 9:06:46AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by warglory

Thats a good assessment, however youre wrong on a few things... as far as scrambling goes, Shamrock>>>>>Couture, its a catch thing... Secondly from any position other than full mount I doubt Couture could have held him down...

agreed...shamrock had LOTS of power. He was kinda like Rampage just without the slams. And Shamrock definitely had knockout power, while couture doesnt really. However Shamrock could only use that power for a couple rounds until he gassed while randy is the conditioning master.... im still gonna have to say Couture. I think he could last til a later round then maybe sub or TKO from GnP Shamrock
richieb19
6/10/07 10:02:15AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

agreed...shamrock had LOTS of power. He was kinda like Rampage just without the slams. And Shamrock definitely had knockout power, while couture doesnt really. However Shamrock could only use that power for a couple rounds until he gassed while randy is the conditioning master.... im still gonna have to say Couture. I think he could last til a later round then maybe sub or TKO from GnP Shamrock

Till he gassed???? He fought Gracie, Severn, Oleg and Yamada all for 30 minutes, and there are other instances where his matches lasted longer than 20 minutes andhe always looked fine. The only time I've ever really seen him gas was against Fujita and Frye...

In his rematch with Gracie he had planned on a 2 hour match...
hippysmacker
6/10/07 10:59:23AM
Couture 99 out of 100 times IMO. Ken in his prime was ahead of the game. Randy's game in his prime is far ahead of Shamrock's. I also, think the only thing that Ken does better than Randy is leglocks, and Randy wouldn't be caught in one. I will always respect what Shamrock has done, but Randy is a way more complete fighter to me.
warglory
6/10/07 11:49:29AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by richieb19

Posted by warglory

Shammy had knockout power? When has he ever knocked someone out? Couture leveled both Sylvia and Liddell. Sure, he didn't knock them out, but he brought both to their asses. I can't recall Shamrock decisively doing that ever (maybe with his knee to Kimo?)
richieb19
6/10/07 11:53:43AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by richieb19

Posted by warglory

Shammy had knockout power? When has he ever knocked someone out? Couture leveled both Sylvia and Liddell. Sure, he didn't knock them out, but he brought both to their asses. I can't recall Shamrock decisively doing that ever (maybe with his knee to Kimo?)

Knee to Kimo, brutal gnp of johnston and leininger, ko of otsuka, multiple kos on fujita, big shots on oleg... he hits hard man...
Pages: [1] 2