Who would win? Potential UFC super fights. GSP - A.Silva - FEDOR

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who would win? Potential UFC super fights. GSP - A.Silva - FEDOR
POLL: GSP vs A.Silva & A.Silva vs FEDOR who wins?
A.Silva FEDOR 51% (20)
A.Silva A.Silva 13% (5)
GSP FEDOR 26% (10)
GSP A.Silva 10% (4)
mentalcase
2/15/09 5:18:27AM
fullerene
2/15/09 8:19:57AM
Anderson Silva over GSP; Fedor over Anderson Silva

I vote for the tangibles over the intangibles. Obviously all three guys are amazing fighters who are "tough to imagine losing". But Fedor has been hitting and taking down guys who are HWs (and SHWs) and, more importantly, he's been getting hit and taken down by them while still surviving. LIkewise, Silva is used to the power that MWs and LHWs have and so, despite the fact that GSP might be stronger, his strength won't phase Silva while Silva's power will be unprecedented for GSP in an actual fight.

Those are big fight events, though, and the underdog is so good at what they do that it's not out of the question that they could win. Plus, when you put together win streaks like those three guys have you run out of viable options in your own weight divisions. In other words, I'd like to see those fights happen but I have a feeling the results would be based on weight more than anything else.
EvenFlow
2/15/09 10:42:15AM

Posted by fullerene

Anderson Silva over GSP; Fedor over Anderson Silva

I vote for the tangibles over the intangibles. Obviously all three guys are amazing fighters who are "tough to imagine losing". But Fedor has been hitting and taking down guys who are HWs (and SHWs) and, more importantly, he's been getting hit and taken down by them while still surviving. LIkewise, Silva is used to the power that MWs and LHWs have and so, despite the fact that GSP might be stronger, his strength won't phase Silva while Silva's power will be unprecedented for GSP in an actual fight.

Those are big fight events, though, and the underdog is so good at what they do that it's not out of the question that they could win. Plus, when you put together win streaks like those three guys have you run out of viable options in your own weight divisions. In other words, I'd like to see those fights happen but I have a feeling the results would be based on weight more than anything else.

very nice post
bls1919
2/15/09 11:14:33AM
I see what your saying about power, but Fedor has maybe never fought anyone with the speed of Anderson. And IMO he probably hits like a HW. And BJJ is made for the smaller man to win. Anderson is a blackbelt and often trains with the Nogueria brothers. I think Anderson has a very real chance to beat Fedor. Not that fight is ever going to happen......
JimiMak
2/15/09 11:40:32AM
In each of these fights (none of which will ever happen) the smaller guy loses. Not even interesting matches. Anyone who thinks that AS has more than a punchers chance against Fedor is deluded. GSP stands even less chance against AS who is so good standing and on the ground that his size means he kills in this fight.
Skatanicus
2/15/09 2:40:09PM

Posted by JimiMak

In each of these fights (none of which will ever happen) the smaller guy loses. Not even interesting matches. Anyone who thinks that AS has more than a punchers chance against Fedor is deluded. GSP stands even less chance against AS who is so good standing and on the ground that his size means he kills in this fight.

Anderson would have little chance against either opponent, taking into account their real weights, or if they all weighed the same. Anderson would be very unlikely to TKO Fedor, Fedor has too good of a chin, and Fedor is a much better wrestler, much better with submissions he'd beat him easily, again, even at same weight. Anderson, when he fought Lutter, got outwrestled and was near an embarassing loss, but was able to buck an exhausted Lutter and later get the sub. Anderson will lose to GSP if and when that fight happens, to win he would have to TKO GSP standing, and I know... Matt Serra, blah blah blah... GSP would manhandle Anderson, he is stronger even when he is at welterweight and at middleweight would score takedowns at will, would not get subbed, and would certainly get a TKO victory, unless he really wanted to sub him. Anderson leaves his head flat on the mat, at least he has in several fights and GSP would make him pay dearly for that. GSP vs. Fedor, if they were the same weight is the real question here, and it is very difficult to pick, because Fedor might just rip his arm off, but GSP has better wrestling. Fedor has a great chin, and it's not like subbing him is easy so I'd pick GSP by decision if that theoretical matchup took place.

Anderson better hope he doesn't ever fight GSP!

A matchup I would love to see, but we will never see is Anderson vs. Lyoto. Anderson is overrated, and Lyoto is still underrated, as good as people think he is, so I know what most people would say... I think it would be a great battle, because it would be the most accurate striker I know of (Anderson) vs. the hardest to hit (Lyoto). I think Lyoto would win, because as Anderson fans don't understand, wrestling is the most important skill a fighter can have in MMA. Anderson is good at tying people up, and he has long legs which work well for triangles, which could be enough to beat Machida considerign Tito Ortiz almost landed one on Lyoto I think Lyoto just didn't expect it, but who knows... I'd pick Machida UD for a three round TKO for a five round, but, again, it will never happen.
bls1919
2/15/09 6:41:51PM
Weight wise against Fedor i'll agree. But cmon GSP is stronger than Anderson??????? No way
cmill21
2/15/09 6:53:43PM
Anderson is much bigger then GSP, hell he's taller then Fedor. I think Anderson catches GSP coming in, and I think Fedor subs Anderson.
higdon10
2/15/09 7:07:19PM
Silva over GSP
Fedor over GSP and Silva
CwB
2/15/09 7:10:59PM

Posted by cmill21

Anderson is much bigger then GSP, hell he's taller then Fedor. I think Anderson catches GSP coming in, and I think Fedor subs Anderson.

plain and simple

but if gsp does fight a silva, ill put some money on gsp if the odds are right
Nitrus
2/15/09 7:17:48PM
Silva over GSP

Fedor over Silva and GSP...together

War Fedor!
breakdown5
2/15/09 8:08:53PM

Posted by Nitrus

Silva over GSP

Fedor over Silva and GSP...together

War Fedor!

MattHughesRules
2/16/09 2:06:53PM
I take GSP over Anderson and Fedor over Silva.

Although I am sure GSP would be the underdog in this fight my gut feeling says that GSP would be able to take him to the ground at will and dominate him with superior wrestling. He would win this by decision or ground and pound late round finish. I think the only thing stopping GSP would be the size advantage...possibly making the takedowns difficult.

I think Fedor walks on Anderson as well. Again Fedor would be able to use his strength and size advantage to dominate Silva using Sambo. I think Fedor pushes the pace early and overwhelms Silva with a finish on the ground via strikes.

Awesome fights to see though and could obviously go either way!
roadking95th
2/16/09 9:53:22PM
Taking part of Tuvok's line...."Fedor by MURDER"
JimiMak
2/16/09 11:07:59PM

There's actually a cpl ppl that think GSP has even a shot in the world? You have seen Silva fight before? I'll be laughing for weeks about that.
Drudinh
2/17/09 3:46:48AM

Posted by JimiMak

There's actually a cpl ppl that think GSP has even a shot in the world? You have seen Silva fight before? I'll be laughing for weeks about that.

EvenFlow
2/17/09 5:31:14AM

Posted by Skatanicus

Anderson better hope he doesn't ever fight GSP!

With Anderson fighting guys in the LH division hes gotta be petrified of a WW who is out-weighed, out-reached and out-skilled by him?... cmon
fullerene
2/17/09 8:33:12AM
I already gave my vote and explanation for why I favor Silva over GSP, but I have to step back in here and defend St. Pierre as a legitimate challenge.

* Despite the way he's looked recently, Anderson Silva--like any other fighter--is not unbeatable. He has lost before and, even in the UFC, he's had rocky moments against Lutter, Marquardt and Henderson.
* George St. Pierre would walk in at 185 pounds (his walking weight) and no weight cut). Silva might walk around heavier, but he would only be 185+1 day of hydration and he'd need to cut weight
* St. Pierre's training camp includes quality guys who are bigger than Silva, such as Rashad Evans, and apparently St. Pierre can hold his own with them
* St. Pierre would be the fastest fighter that Silva has faced
* St. Pierre has the advantage wrestling, even up one weight class. Silva has shown a propensity to be taken down.
* Unlike Marquardt, Lutter, etc. St. Pierre seems to never get swept or subbed from top position
* Most importantly (and this holds true for Silva vs. Fedor)--GSP is a champion level fighter and maybe the best fighter in the world. Guys like that can never be written off completely-- we don't even know how good he could be at this point.