Does a win for Overeem get him in the top 10?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does a win for Overeem get him in the top 10?
Mchubb316
9/4/08 2:55:14AM
If Overeem beats Crocop, does it put him in the top 10? I think he deserves it. It will have been over a year since his last loss. He holds wins over Buentello, and Hunt. A win over top 10 ranked Crocop should get him in. Thoughts?
telnights
9/4/08 4:36:04AM
That's thing about Overeem he always falls short in the big fights. But CC is a top 10 right now so a win over a top 10 should put him in there. I think another loss will knock CC out of the top 10.
Wolfenstein
9/4/08 6:02:12AM
Yes he would be in the top ten, but just barely. He was on quite a losing streak for a while back there. Three in a row and still five of his last ten have been losses. They've all been against top competition though. He just ca't seem to make it over the hump, which is why I don't think he's going to be able to take out Cro Cop.
stock
9/4/08 7:53:39AM
Honestly, I don't believe CC is in the top 10 right now. Possibly #10 at best.

I think it all depends how the fight turns out. I think if Overeem can go in their and absolutely dominate CC at his own game and then finish the fight via KO or submision, he should probably climb into the top ten.

Overeem still has some questionable losses the last couple of years (some against much smaller oponents).

I want to see Sergei Kharitonov fight again.
cowcatcher
9/4/08 8:17:32AM

Posted by telnights

That's thing about Overeem he always falls short in the big fights. But CC is a top 10 right now so a win over a top 10 should put him in there. I think another loss will knock CC out of the top 10.

gotta agree here. overeem has looked as good as i can remember his last few times out, and it seems that hes extremely focused right now. as a CC fan im VERY worried about this fight, and i really cant remember being this way for any fights hes had. this may say more about CCs recent woes, but this opponent looks scary right now.
AchillesHeel
9/4/08 9:46:58AM
I think he's already a Top 10 Heavyweight, but I would think that a win over Cro Cop would put him on a lot of people's list.
DiabloFreak56
9/4/08 10:02:55AM

Posted by telnights

copcopps
9/4/08 11:34:40AM
Overeem's already in the top 10 IMO. He's low on the pole but a win over Cro COp will fix that and Cro Cop's already close to getting knocked off the top ten list
jocka
9/4/08 12:24:55PM
I don't think that Crocop is in the top 10 HW so to answer your question no it won't
Jackelope
9/4/08 12:55:30PM
Ranking Overeem in the top 10 is like ranking Heath Herring in the top 10. Sure, they've both got impressive things on their resume, but you can never predict what fighter is going to walk into the ring at any given moment.

Anyway, though... given Overeem's RECENT performances if he makes quick work of Crocop it'd be hard to deny him a spot.
cmill21
9/4/08 1:46:50PM
Win over Cro Cop puts Cro Cop out of the top 10 and Overeem in.
Aaronno9
9/4/08 2:05:48PM

Posted by cmill21

Win over Cro Cop puts Cro Cop out of the top 10 and Overeem in.

I think Allister's getting knocked out though.
jgtribbett
9/7/08 12:48:55PM
i wouldnt say so
hathcock32
9/8/08 1:13:01AM
Battle for number 10 on my heavyweight list.
bls1919
9/11/08 7:58:51PM
If he beats Mirko then yes without a doubt. But CC is a big IF. We'll see. i will have Mirko by KO
machodog76
9/16/08 3:34:09PM
I think at this point, no cc has had too many questionable performances to be in the top ten, I think top 20 would be about right.