Win and he’s back in?: MMAmania.com exclusive UFC 88 interview with Nate Marquardt

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Win and he’s back in?: MMAmania.com exclusive UFC 88 interview with Nate Marquardt
SmileR
9/4/08 9:51:46AM
Ever since losing a title shot to Anderson Silva at UFC 73 back in July of last year, Nate “The Great” Marquardt (26-8-2) has been looking to get back into title contention. He welcomed Jeremy Horn back to the UFC with a guillotine choke submission at UFC 81 in February.

And he looked … um, “Great” in a well-publicized UFC 85 bout with Thales Leites.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Your split decision loss to Thales Leites has got to be a bitter pill to swallow. How do you feel about the two points that you were docked, the second of which looked unjustified?

Nate Marquardt: Yeah, you know, it’s not as bad as it seems to be honest. That fight got me a lot of publicity. Everyone who saw the fight said that I won. So it’s not really like I really lost that fight.

Yeah, I thought the second point deduction … I don’t feel like what I did was illegal, but sometimes that happens in fights. To be honest, I think I could have finished Thales, and that was my fault for not keeping on him at a couple of points in that fight.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I read that after the fight, Leites didn’t want to grant you an immediate rematch. Is that true?

Nate Marquardt: Yes. We asked Joe Silva immediately after, and he said that Thales didn’t want a rematch.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Do you think he was trying to dodge you?

Nate Marquardt: I don’t know. It’s the smarter decision on his part. He ran away with the win on his record. And he’s looking to get a title shot, so it would be a smart choice on his part.

Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): So is it difficult to bounce back from something like this, or are you looking at it as a win … or at least not a loss?

Nate Marquardt: Yeah, exactly. I see some mistakes I made during that fight, and I always try to work on that. I just try to get better after every fight. I’m not trying to look at it as a win or as a loss. I’m just trying to look at it and see what I did right, and try to copy that, and see what I did wrong and try to fix it.

Link
Gipper
9/4/08 12:19:40PM
kampmann wins and he's getting a titleshot.

there needs to be a rematch between marquardt and leites. they both showed huge heart in that fight.