who would win? Mark Hunt or Gabe Gonzaga

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » who would win? Mark Hunt or Gabe Gonzaga
Next Page »
POLL: Who would reign supremein this bout?
Gabe Gonzaga 45% (15)
Mark Hunt 55% (18)
ufc88
8/18/07 4:40:31PM
who would win this bout?
Jackelope
8/18/07 5:21:59PM
Gonzaga would probably sub Hunt if he could take him down. Hunt's head is like a brick wall
loller90278
8/18/07 5:44:52PM
i say mark hunt because gonzagas take downs arent the best.. and mark hutns a big fella to take down. plus the improvement in hunts ground game from the barnett fight to the fedor fight was amazing.
DMcCabe11
8/18/07 5:50:20PM
ya i say hunt i think hes too good of a striker and his ground game looked very improved against fedor so hunt by TKO
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/07 6:01:20PM
gonzaga
peachfuzzz1305
8/18/07 6:08:59PM
Gonzaga by Decision
TOMMYAYO05
8/18/07 6:15:07PM
Definetley Mark Hunt,i think its pretty funny how all the posers on this site just jump on a fighter as soon as he starts winning and thinks he is the greatest.Im going to have to break it to all you posers out there and all you who think you know mma."Gonzaga got lucky against Crocop,bottomline, it was a lucky ass head kick just like serra got lucky with gsp."
Jackelope
8/18/07 7:07:43PM
Just because Gonzaga got lucky against CroCop all of the sudden he doesn't have the skillset to defeat Mark Hunt? If everyone said he was going to KO Hunt I would understand you saying all of this, but I don't see anyone specifically saying "Gonzaga will KTFO Hunt!!"

I really don't understand the flaming and the attack on people's MMA knowledge.

On the other hand I would totally agree with the fact that Gonzaga got lucky by taking Crocop out with strikes. But to limit what he is capable of doing to just his striking ability is just plain stupid, IMO.

Negative props for trying to call people out like you're some MMA superior bad ass
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/07 7:16:02PM
Pretty sure gonzaga had 3 wins all by stoppages before he beat cro cop so people could have already liked him from that. but i guess you dont take that into consideration.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/18/07 7:56:29PM
def. Hunt ..by tko / ko striking is way to good and i can only imagine how much his ground game has improved since the fight with fedor, i'd like to see Gonzaga try to RHK Hunt Mark Hunt's head and chin are like a brick wall Cro Cop's LHK didn't even phase Hunt
peachfuzzz1305
8/18/07 8:15:36PM
Who the hell are U Tommy

Gonzaga threw that kick an knocked Cro Cop out

It is way different the way Serra beat GSP

Serra ' s punch landed goofy

And I bet all of these so called Poser s know way more than U

And Gonzaga does have the skill set 2 woop Hunt s Ass
peachfuzzz1305
8/18/07 8:17:13PM
Oh yeah Reaper

Cro Cop Knocked Out Hunt with a Left Head Kick in K - 1
gamez0932
8/18/07 8:17:48PM
I have to agree with you people that gonzaga got lucky, he didnt punish cro cop really at all, there was the brief ground and pound then they were stood back up, he landed that lucky kick perfect to cro cops head... that doesnt mean gonzaga is a better fighter, look at the resumes, cro cops is far more surperior. so i would have to choose mark hunt over gonzaga.
TOMMYAYO05
8/18/07 8:25:37PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Who the hell are U Tommy

Gonzaga threw that kick an knocked Cro Cop out

It is way different the way Serra beat GSP

Serra ' s punch landed goofy

And I bet all of these so called Poser s know way more than U

And Gonzaga does have the skill set 2 woop Hunt s Ass

That was the loppiest kick ive ever seen buddy,and yeah you can bet all you want haha but i highly doubt it.
TOMMYAYO05
8/18/07 8:27:40PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Pretty sure gonzaga had 3 wins all by stoppages before he beat cro cop so people could have already liked him from that. but i guess you dont take that into consideration.

Oh i forgt to respond to you too.Three wins against who????Just tell me who did he stop witht the caliber of a crocop or mark hunt??Im going to laugh win Couture shows all you people whats up on the next card.
sakurabaforever
8/18/07 9:38:09PM
Am I the only one who thinks Gonzaga's kick would have knocked out ANYONE, especially if they didn't see it (CC admitted he thought it was going to the body and didn't see it go high).

Hunt's chin is his strongest asset no doubt, but he is not invincible. CC couldn't knock him out in Pride because of foot injury (reason he was wearing the shoes, never wore them in any other fight). CC dropped Hunt like a sack of potatoes in K1 with a healthy foot.

This being said, GG does not deserve legendary status for only ONE top 10 win. Didn't Sokoudjou start to be worshipped only after beating TWO top 10s? Everyone is talking like GG finished Couture and Nog by Sub or RHK in the first round. He is unproven. If Hunt kept developing his ground game, his defense could be good enough to win. And standing Hunt can more then exchange with GG. Hunt by TKO is my guess.
juanez13
8/18/07 11:05:41PM
mark hunt would beat the shit out of him, people tend to forget that gonzaga was nobody 1 fight ago, i wonder what would have been your answer if the question was asked before he beat cro cop.......mark hunt has alot more than an iron chin, he has brick hands, and his stiking is top notch, dont forget he beat guys like jerome lebanner, cro cop , etc,.....mark has shown tremendous improvement on his ground wich i think will be good enough to keep it standing or to survive on the ground, and when its standing i give gonzaga 1% of winning this fight.......
juanez13
8/18/07 11:07:21PM

Posted by sakurabaforever

Am I the only one who thinks Gonzaga's kick would have knocked out ANYONE, especially if they didn't see it (CC admitted he thought it was going to the body and didn't see it go high).

Hunt's chin is his strongest asset no doubt, but he is not invincible. CC couldn't knock him out in Pride because of foot injury (reason he was wearing the shoes, never wore them in any other fight). CC dropped Hunt like a sack of potatoes in K1 with a healthy foot.

This being said, GG does not deserve legendary status for only ONE top 10 win. Didn't Sokoudjou start to be worshipped only after beating TWO top 10s? Everyone is talking like GG finished Couture and Nog by Sub or RHK in the first round. He is unproven. If Hunt kept developing his ground game, his defense could be good enough to win. And standing Hunt can more then exchange with GG. Hunt by TKO is my guess.

cro cop dropped hunt like a sack of potatoes?? didnt he get right back up like nothing happened???
peachfuzzz1305
8/18/07 11:27:44PM

U think Couture will beat Gonzaga

sakurabaforever
8/19/07 2:07:42AM
A lot of people think Couture will beat Gonzaga. Why is that hilarious? It's a very close fight and tough to call. Either pick is legitimate I think.

To juanez - First of all I said CC "dropped" Hunt like a sack of potatoes. I didn't say anything about a KO or how fast Hunt gets up. If you do watch the fight though, Hunt is clearly stunned and he can barely get up in the first few seconds. He has good recovery though, and after resting on the ropes, he's ready to go again. What's your point anyway, it's not like Hunt won that fight.
TOMMYAYO05
8/19/07 3:36:25AM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

U think Couture will beat Gonzaga

Hey man is this site not for are opinions??Thats what people are stateing simply.I also believe Couture will beat Gonzaga,and if your going to laugh and make fun of peoples opinions then dont post sh*t.You post your opinions and well post ours funny guy.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/19/07 1:52:45PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Oh yeah Reaper

Cro Cop Knocked Out Hunt with a Left Head Kick in K - 1

are you serious? it was a U.descion win for CC...dont see how he was KOed?
sakurabaforever
8/19/07 2:37:52PM
Yeah, his statement was not accurate. Although Hunt did look "out" for a second. In MMA CC would have went in for the kill and finished it though.

And I think the comment about Hunt having bricks for hands is not very accurate either. It took him entirely too long to put away the outclassed Nishijima. It'll be enough to finish Gonzaga, but I don't think Hunt is going to completely annihilate him.
Mastodon2
8/19/07 2:53:39PM
Hunt by KO. Fedor had difficulty submitting Hunt, and Fedor is imo the strongest ground fighter at HW, Nogueira has better submissions, but Fedor has amazing subs too,and amazing GnP. Gonzaga would have difficulty with Hunt for sure, Hunt has short, thick limbs and he is amazingly strong, very difficult to get an arm submission on, and has virtually no neck anyway, so chokes will be hard.

Hunt however, is almost impossible to KO, and is a much better striker than GG, he would pound him out imo. GG could probably get the takedown, but they'd get stood back up, and Mark would smash him.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/19/07 3:01:11PM
the thing with Hunt is yes he's a very strong standing and is hard to get submission on but as far as his own lack of ground game goes, not that im saying its horrible it greatly improved from barnett to fedor fight, but im saying its obviously his weakest area but also its what amkes it hard to call him a contender
cmill21
8/19/07 3:41:05PM
The gg kick was the sloppiest high kick i've seen in my life, had Mirko been able to avoid elbows on the ground that kick never would have landed. If the kick hit hunt, mark would have laughed and threw a good combo KOing him. Hunt by KO.
Jackelope
8/19/07 4:12:13PM
I don't know, man. Maybe you should watch that kick again. If you think that's the sloppiest one you've ever seen then you must have been privileged to only ever have seen some amazing kicks thrown in your life.

I just watched it over and over again on Youtube (I'll admit, it's painful to watch Mirko get knocked out like that) but you'll see how Mirko just keeps circling the same direction and basically all Gonzaga did was cut him off with the kick. It's crazy, too because it's almost like he threw the kick from a neutral stance. His right leg really isn't back that far from his left, so it's good he could generate that amount of power in the kick from that stance.

Another thing on the Hunt/Crocop issue is what would have happened if they had been fighting UFC rules and after CroCop knocked Hunt down with that LHK he had been able to charge him on the ground. I can picture Big John McCarthy diving on Crocop and calling the fight.
Mastodon2
8/19/07 4:37:43PM

Posted by juanez13

crocop dropped hunt like a sack of potatoes?? didnt he get right back up like nothing happened???

Yeah he did, Hunt looked more like he lost his balance tbh, the physiology of his head in unreal. He just shrugged it off, the same kick that put so many other men out cold!
sakurabaforever
8/19/07 4:48:52PM
I just watched the fight again, Hunt DOES NOT get up like nothing happened. He is clearly stunned and HAS TROUBLE GETTING UP and then has to actually rest on the ropes for a moment to regain composure. THEN, he acts like nothing happened which is more recovery ability.

Hunt shrugged off CC kicks in Pride, when CC was injured and wearing shoes. Watch the difference between these kicks and the one in the K1 fight. It's a big one.

Sure Hunt will probably beat Gonzaga, but some of this complete and unwarranted worship of Hunt is a bit much
Mastodon2
8/19/07 4:52:32PM
Unwarrented worship? Him winning an Oceania GP and World GP is something to inspire confidence imo, as is his ability to avoid submissions, and his striking finesse, iron chin and ridiculous power.
Pages: [1] 2