who would win-junior dos santos vs. alistair overeem?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » who would win-junior dos santos vs. alistair overeem?
armbar66j7
9/26/11 4:45:35PM
i think the entire MMA community would be spoiled rotten if we got the chance to see this fight, holy crap, probably the 2 most feared heavyweights in the game right now, it would be ridiculous

what ya'll think?
DoTheMMAth
9/26/11 4:48:31PM
I think Overeem would win by sheer horse-meat-eating strength and power.
kingsmasher
9/26/11 4:51:04PM
I pick Dos Santos because I believe his reach and Werdum out struck Rheem on the feet...OVEReem is Overrated IMO...

I think Dos Sanros would jab jab jab
armbar66j7
9/26/11 4:54:28PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

I think Overeem would win by sheer horse-meat-eating strength and power.

haha
armbar66j7
9/26/11 4:56:31PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I pick Dos Santos because I believe his reach and Werdum out struck Rheem on the feet...OVEReem is Overrated IMO...

i agree with you, i think dos dantos would wear him down pretty quick, similar to the cro cop fight, but still, you cnt count out reem, i mean, i understand why people call him ovverated but still, hes a freak just like brock, so you never really know, and overeems chin is a lot better than brocks
Twenty20Dollars
9/26/11 4:57:29PM
JDS
Budgellism
9/26/11 5:00:39PM
I'd probably go with JDS. He'd be able to last longer and he's quicker than Overeem. I'd say JDS in 3.
Theoutlaw08
9/26/11 5:03:05PM
I think JDS would pick him apart, I think Alistair would look something like Carwin after/during the fight.
hashyandy4
9/26/11 5:37:46PM
4 me JDS no doubt
grappler0000
9/26/11 6:05:29PM

Posted by kingsmasher

When a fighter is scared of a TD, his standup suffers. If my memory serves me correctly, JDS has never gone for a TD once. The Reem could strike with complete confidence. This fight would be completely different as a result. I don't know why a bad style matchup would dictate the outcome of a good style matchup...that doesn't make sense.
UFC_Fanatic
9/26/11 8:41:21PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

When a fighter is scared of a TD, his standup suffers. If my memory serves me correctly, JDS has never gone for a TD once. The Reem could strike with complete confidence. This fight would be completely different as a result. I don't know why a bad style matchup would dictate the outcome of a good style matchup...that doesn't make sense.

I believe Dos Santos took Carwin down late in the third round of their fight, but I might be mistaken.

I also believe that Overeem would be able to strike with confidence and throw heavy leather and let go with his kicks and knees in combinations without really fearing the takedown which is why I believe that it is a fight like this that we see Overeem at his best. I know that Dos Santos would be game and he wouldn't really have to worry about takedowns too much either, so both of them could put everything they got behind their punches. The thing that stands out to me though is the matching up of their striking styles. Dos Santos is primarily a boxer and uses his hands more than anything else, whereas Overeem is the much more diverse striker with that powerful K-1 style Dutch kickboxing background, so Overeem has more tools at his disposal than JDS, which as we saw in the fight between Winner and Njokuani, can make a huge difference. Now I understand that this match up would be way different than the afformentioned fight though because with the size and power of these two men, it doesn't matter one way or the other as far as style is concerned, in the early goings of the fight when both guys are fresh all they have to do is land once and it could be game over for the other one. Still, with Overeems heavy leg kicks and devastating knees it provides some interesting problems/challenges for the much more one dimensional power puncher in Dos Santos. I think it would be a great fight in which we would really get to see both guys chins tested, which is something we've all been waiting to see with both guys, especially in the case of Overeem where people are always questioning two things: his chin and his cardio.
BeeR
9/26/11 8:50:17PM
Junior would wreck him.
SmileR
9/26/11 9:23:14PM
Junior is a good striker for MMA, Overeem is a good striker period. Neither are known for their takedowns or subs so I can't really see Overeem losing. Also Junior beat up Carwin but Nelson was landing pretty regularly in there fight so I can't see Overeem not being able to drop him or at least out point him.
DeadHead988
9/26/11 9:31:31PM
Junior dos Santos easy round 1 ko. Don't know how Overeem got this reputation as a worldbeater.
Twenty20Dollars
9/26/11 10:48:41PM
Just hard to pick Overeem when he looked really poor against Werdum.
JoeWarren33
9/27/11 12:20:36AM
Overeem all day!
TeamDEY
9/27/11 12:55:57AM
Dos Santos all the way. I don't even understand how this is a debate. Dos Santos has faced the best competition. Lets get real, Dos Santos would have it (PROBABLY) in the first round.
papercut
9/27/11 1:21:30AM

<------
Poor_Franklin
9/27/11 1:42:54AM
the only competition i have for JDS right now is his next opponent
kingsmasher
9/27/11 9:33:01AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

Well with all due respect I dont know why Rheem was scared of Werdums take down because Werdum could not take him down...

But as a technical boxer with pretty good movement Im going with JDS all day...

I also think Cain would wreck Overeem and would def get the takedown...
FastKnockout
9/27/11 12:58:26PM
I know Overeem has a nice little streak going, but let's not forget all the knockout losses scattered around his record. Junior has some scary power and I doubt Overeem could handle it.
Boo_Radley21
9/28/11 1:11:15PM
It's hard to pick against someone as big and strong as Overeem, especially with the Kickboxing skills the guy has, but Dos Santos is proven in the most talented organization in MMA that he can beat any guy in the division on any given night (except maybe velasquez)