Who would win? (hot topic)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who would win? (hot topic)
POLL: Who would win
Ed "Short Fuse" Herman 53% (31)
Chris "The Crippler" Leben 47% (28)
ohiostate1016
11/8/07 6:23:14PM
I know we talk a lot about the MW division, but let's talk about it some more. It's deeper than a lot of people think, and I'm wondering who you guys think would win this matchup.

vs. ?

Ed "Short Fuse" Herman (13-5) vs. Chris "The Crippler" Leben (17-4)

Unfortunately, both fighters are members of Team Quest, so this fight probably won't happen. But it's fun to think about. Here are bios of both guys:

Ed Herman

Record: 13-5: 3 (T)KO, 9 submissions

Herman was a cast member on TUF 3, and was the runner up in the Middleweight competition to Kendall Grove. Most people thought that he was the favorite throughout the competition, but he lost in a shocking upset to Grove. His nickname, Short Fuse, stems from his tendency to fight with a lot of emotion in the octagon. He holds wins over Nick Thompson, Dave Menne, and Scott Smith.

He's a grappler, and likes to put his opponents in submissions. His standup game is questionable, but it's always getting better.

Chris Leben

Record: 17-4: 9 (T)KO, 4 submissions

Leben was a cast member on the first season of TUF, and immediately emerged as a favorite in the MW competition before losing twice, to Josh Koscheck and Kenny Florian. He is most known for his crazy antics and actions in the house. He's also a very emotional fighter, and he won his first 5 fights in the octagon. He was in line for a title shot before he ran into a buzzsaw known as Anderson Silva. After getting KO'd in less than a minute, Leben was back at the bottom of the ladder. Since losing last year to The Spider, Leben has been up and down, going 2-2. His signature wins are over Mike Swick, Benji Radach, Patrick Cote, Edwin Dewees, Jorge Rivera, and Terry Martin. He's beat pretty much the entire cast of TUF 4: The Comeback.

As far as fighting style goes, Leben is a puncher. He goes into the octagon looking to knock his opponent out, and he's looking to do it quick. Only 6 of his 21 fights have went to a decision. But he's not only a striker, he also has decent ground skills. He has submission wins via RNC and armbar.
tuvok500
11/8/07 6:29:43PM
Herman by submission !!

xchickox
11/8/07 6:37:16PM
herman, i think he'd be too strong for leben, he'd win by sub although looks better recently
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/8/07 6:52:46PM
I don't really like leben... but he had a major freaking upgrade and just destroyed martin...I say leben would probly not school or dominate the fight, but he'd win.
NatedawgThaM
11/8/07 6:52:47PM
Herman by 1st rd. sub!!!
DevonFoxy
11/8/07 7:15:13PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I don't really like leben... but he had a major freaking upgrade and just destroyed martin...I say leben would probly not school or dominate the fight, but he'd win.

He didnt destroy Martin until he knocked him out he was not winning that fight by any means. I dont think he has improved at all he was very gassed and that would be his downfall against a fighter who has any cardio oh like i dont know Ed Herman? Leben knocked out martin after just chucking a left out there. Herman would take it to the ground and either get a UD or submit him. This would be a horrible fight for Leben IMHO.
ohiostate1016
11/8/07 8:14:51PM
My views:

I think that if Leben didn't KO Herman in the first, then he'd lose. Ed is well-conditioned, and is at home with Team Quest. It's actually interesting that Leben even trains with Team Quest. Most of those guys have a wrestling background, but I don't think he does.
waylon_o
11/8/07 8:30:33PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

What fight were you watching? It was obvious Leben was losing that fight up until that ko punch. Even Leben was surprised he landed it.
jdubs
11/8/07 8:43:53PM
leben, he has turned into a badass... i was kind of blowing him off but he is for real
atlas777
11/9/07 10:50:14AM
Id say if Leben couldnt KO him in the first herman might win but even though i dont like Leben i could still see him winning unless herman can pull off a slick submission.
puppetmaster837
11/9/07 4:05:24PM
I'm not a big fan of either fighter, but i would choose Herman by submission.
Scott_Revels
11/9/07 4:30:36PM

Posted by tuvok500

Herman by submission !!

I don't see Herman standing with Leben for very long, and so the logical choice is that he'll take down Leben, and finish him by submission.
MALICE
11/9/07 8:15:52PM
Leben is 7-3 in the octagon.
His loss to Starnes -- Good Fight, Starnes took it.
His loss to MacDonald -- He lost.
His loss to Silva -- No explanation!!

His wins -- all against mid-level fighters

He may not be in title contention, but he is legit. That you cannot deny. But I am sure, many will find a way too.
MALICE
11/9/07 8:22:24PM
Herman is 2-2 in the octagon.

His loss to Grove -- IMO Draw. Still one of my favorite fights from the octagon.
His loss to MacDonald -- He lost.

His wins were against mid level fighter. I believe Herman is also legit. This would be a great fight.
kofranklin
11/10/07 10:46:35AM
Leben.
Manfred
11/10/07 10:49:11AM
Hot topic? Neither of these guys are top shelf. Interesting topic though. Leben via KO, 2nd round
ohiostate1016
11/10/07 1:00:17PM

Posted by Manfred

Hot topic? Neither of these guys are top shelf. Interesting topic though. Leben via KO, 2nd round

I just thought that it was interesting. Maybe it should say "interesting topic"