GSP Dec 27% (29)
Alves T(KO) 29% (31)
Alves Sub 0% (0)
Alves Dec 2% (2)
copcopps
10/29/08 12:49:06PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by copcopps

I'm picking Alves mainly because against Koscheck I don't think GSP could strike with him. But that's just me who's tired of GSP's invincibility

Are you serious gsp is not invincible... Oh wait matt serra right lol.

I meant invincibility as in that his fights are usually predictable. Yeah Serra beat him but there was little doubt that there would be a repeat of that. But that's just my 2 cents on GSP, he's cool and definately top WW in the world but I tend to like the underdog. But again, that's my opinion, I'm not dumping on GSP or Canada.

I think that gsp would not shoot right away he will strike with alves for a while, time that leg kick grab the the leg take alves down and GnP him.

I don't think GSP will try to shoot at all to be honest. If you look at GSP he wrestles with wrestler (Kos, Fitch, Hughes to an extent), strikes with strikers. I think Alves is a striker so I think he'll swing with him.
gsquat
10/29/08 3:07:05PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

It annoys me when you've been supporting a fighter for ages (in my case Alves) and suddenly after 1 win a load of people start rooting for him like they're his biggest fans

I guess that is more annoying than when you've been supporting a fighter for a long time, he keeps winning, takes out a former champ in devistating fashion, and people still hate on him.

I agree that if GSP can get this to the ground its his fight. But after the Kos fight I'm wondering."Can he?" He's sure as hell in trouble on the feet.
mk1630
10/29/08 5:41:23PM
I hope this fight happens. GSP is one of my favorites so ill be pushing for him, but i can see Alves winning it. He's been on such a roll lately who knows what could happen. Right now i'm goin with GSP 4th rd sub.
cj_striker
10/30/08 12:47:53PM
The fight goes where GSP wants it to go, if though Thiago's take down defense looked good against Kos, GSP has out wrestled three of the best wrestlers in the ww division Fitch, Kos, and Hughes. So if GSP fights a smart fight and takes it to the ground he'll win via tko or ud. If he decides to stand and trade Alves definitely would have a chance to win, but it could go either way. With that said I feel it GSP does beat Penn and fights Alves I feel GSP would win. As was said look how Fitch beat Alves, then how GSP dismantled my boy Fitch.
pv3Hpv3p
10/30/08 2:25:23PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

It annoys me when you've been supporting a fighter for ages (in my case Alves) and suddenly after 1 win a load of people start rooting for him like they're his biggest fans

?? What's this all about?? You get annoyed when a fighter gains more fans? That doesn't make any sense... I think people have been starting to notice when he beat Karo, not one fight... I've always liked Alves too, but you have to expect more popularity when he starts beating top competition, especially in the exciting way that Thiago has... it's just the way things go, I've been an Alves fan since I saw him KO Jeff Cox in KOTC, and am happy that he's getting the support from fans he deserves...

Now to the matter at hand... I think Thiago knocks out George St Pierre if GSP is foolish enough to stand with him... If/when this fight happens; I see it a lot like GSP / Penn... Georges will have to revert to his dominant wrestling and ride out a UD... Or Alves KO's him

EDIT: Anyone know the reach difference between GSP and Alves?
slapshot
11/1/08 4:32:11PM
Styles make fights, against people like Hughes I think GSP appears to be a better striker than he actual is. I also think that with that said GSP is a solid striker with a good stand up game.

I think Alves has a advantage in the stand up even if its a small one. I think the one big question in my mind would be can Alves defend the takedown? I give GSP a distinctive advantage if it hits the ground and even with the good TDD he displayed agenst kos I still see GSP being able to take him down.

If this stays standing one would think Alves has a opportunity but IMO I dont see why GSP would take that risk. I think GSP will take him down repeatedly and eventually sub him in the later rounds late third or early fourth.
fonduktoe
11/2/08 12:38:03AM
i just don't think alves can pull off the brawl n sprawl tactic with gsp. his takedowns are the most explosive in mma and i guarantee that greg jackson will have a gameplan comprised of takedowns with solid ground control and ground and pound to keep alves off his gameplan
Jackelope
11/2/08 12:47:03AM
I hope GSP takes him down at will and we get to see Alves' ground game. Supposedly it's pretty good, but his standup is so devastating that we haven't had the chance to check it out for real. GSP will be a good test for that
fonduktoe
11/2/08 12:49:32AM

Posted by Jackelope

I hope GSP takes him down at will and we get to see Alves' ground game. Supposedly it's pretty good, but his standup is so devastating that we haven't had the chance to check it out for real. GSP will be a good test for that

his ground game ain't that good- watch his spencer fisher loss
Aether
11/2/08 4:22:37PM

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, that's just one of those things Joe Rogan says about every fighter who is known for a particular style.

Joe: "well he actually has a highly underrated _insert style here_ game, we just never see it because he's so good at _insert other style_!"

Goldy: "HIGHLY UNDERRATED IS THE _repeat joe_ GAME OF _SO AND SO_"

GSP would demolish him on the ground, if it went to the ground early in the round I would say Alves would be lucky to survive the round IMO. GSP is not just a great fighter, he's a smart fighter, and he knows taking it to the ground is the best way to deal with this fight. If he tried to stand and trade with Alves I could see him losing though. If Matt Serra can do it Alves' vastly superior striking definitely has a good chance to do it as well.

I think if this fight happens Alves will have to hope that GSP makes the mistake of trying to trade with him, which I really doubt he would do.
bjj1605
11/5/08 12:41:43PM
I think GSP would ware him out with his pace and speed. Punch, back off. Leg kick, back away. Once he got Alves frustrated he would take him down and cut him up with elbows. In the late rounds Alves would get tired and frustrated and give up his back for a round 4 RNC submission victory by GSP. I'm not saying I can predict exactly how fights turn out but this seems very plausible to me.

Thiago is a beast and could be a future champ but I'm not sure he's ready for GSP yet. I think he at least looses the first time they fight but give him a rematch a year later after he's matured and I'd give him a better chance.
WrestlersAssassin
11/6/08 1:22:56AM

Posted by handstrong

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

GSP wont fight Alves and Penn will probably beat Thiago but I see Thiago beating GSP no question from tonights fight and his progression the past year, even if you think GSP will win you have to admit hes championship material and has come into his own.

Why wouldn't GSP fight Alves? He might not get a chance with that pesky BJ Penn around, but he would definately fight him if given the chance.

I picked Alves in the fight last night, but did not expect him to win so dominantly. I thought Koscheck would be able to get him down at some point, but Alves was smart and took out his legs, nullifying the takedown. With that said, I think that GSP would not have much trouble with him. I'm not even gonna use that loss to Fitch as a reason, because that was over 2 years ago and Alves has greatly improved since then. I just know that GSP has the speed and power advantage, which are Alves's strengths, and takedowns and greatly superior ground game would trump over Alves hands. If Koscheck couldn't stop the takedowns, Alves sure as hell won't. I do think that Alves should be the next contender for sure though. too bad he has to wait so long now.

WAR GSP SUBMISSION OVER SILVA!

1) Penn is gonna beat GSP (Feel free to disagree) and if Alves and GSP fight its a non title fight (I thought that was obvious but I guess not)

2) GSP will NOT beat Silva lol

3) Thiago will beat GSP .....IF they fight
haggiswashere
11/6/08 2:41:24AM
My heart says Thiago but my wallet says GSP...................
jawbreaker517
11/6/08 10:39:30PM
This is going to sound crazy, but I honestly think Alves could win that fight if he plays his cards right. Alves' takedown defense is really good, and I think his stand-up is better than GSP's.
Pitbull09
11/6/08 11:05:19PM

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by Jackelope

To me, thats a less experienced Alves like with Fitch. If you ask me, is ground game is pretty underrated. He simply likes standing more and weighing around 200lbs going into the fight, you know he has a bit of an advantage strength wise.
bls1919
11/8/08 9:39:57PM
Been rethinkning this one. If Thiago can use his devastating legs kicks and take away GSP's take downs. He has legit Chance to KO GSP. Alves is the only guy in the WW division that is bigger than GSP. and I think his Mui Thai Clinch and a combo of knes and punches could take out GSP. I want to see this fight!!!!:
Pages: 1 [2]