Alves Sub 0% (0)
Alves Dec 2% (2)
mentalcase
10/26/08 12:44:06AM
Discuss
tuvok500
10/26/08 12:49:20AM
GSP by murder hand down not even close.

GSP will take Alves down at will no problem and GSP is faster than Alves on the standing so bye bye Alves.

cmill21
10/26/08 12:58:21AM

Posted by tuvok500

GSP will take Alves down at will no problem and GSP is faster than Alves on the standing so bye bye Alves.

Shocked! Toss up to me, if GSP gets him down then it's all GSP, but if he can't, all Thiago.
Bowen50
10/26/08 1:08:37AM
GSP would beat Thiago in my opinion. he wouldn't have a problem taking Thiago down and even if he couldn't get Thiago down he could use his superiod speed and athleticism to get the better of him in the stand up. GSP by TKO.
tuvok500
10/26/08 1:10:48AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tuvok500

Shocked! Toss up to me, if GSP gets him down then it's all GSP, but if he can't, all Thiago.

GSP is 10 time faster in the stand up than Koscheck was and no way Alves can out strike GSP even with his knees and leg kick . GSP will have an answer for that for sure.

Another great example of jumping in the wagon of a winning fighter, look at the new Dos Santo war wagon threads !!

I keep GSP by whatever he want !!!

Ben_Hutch
10/26/08 2:07:02AM
It annoys me when you've been supporting a fighter for ages (in my case Alves) and suddenly after 1 win a load of people start rooting for him like they're his biggest fans
Mchubb316
10/26/08 2:15:08AM
I have no reason to believe why GSP wouldnt beat Alves. He is better and stronger at just about anything Alves has to offer. I don't see GSP losing to Alves at all.
higdon10
10/26/08 2:16:46AM
I think that GSP is superior in every aspect of the game. He would likely get a mid round TKO.
WrestlersAssassin
10/26/08 2:17:17AM
GSP wont fight Alves and Penn will probably beat Thiago but I see Thiago beating GSP no question from tonights fight and his progression the past year, even if you think GSP will win you have to admit hes championship material and has come into his own.
tooly236
10/26/08 2:18:24AM
I think GSP will win, but it will be a great fight.
warglory
10/26/08 2:21:37AM
I think MMAth is a waste of time, but keep in mind folks that Jon Fitch beat Thiago Alves fairly handily and GSP absolutely schooled him. I think this just goes to show how much better GSP is at the entite game than just about anyone else in the division. I think GSP would run through Alves.
higdon10
10/26/08 2:24:34AM

Posted by warglory

I think MMAth is a waste of time, but keep in mind folks that Jon Fitch beat Thiago Alves fairly handily and GSP absolutely schooled him. I think this just goes to show how much better GSP is at the entite game than just about anyone else in the division. I think GSP would run through Alves.

1000 %
Wolfenstein
10/26/08 2:30:39AM
Personally when I like a fighter I want more people on the bandwagon. I think a lot of people have been on Alves' bandwagon since the Hughes and Parysian victories.

I picked Josh. I thought he would try and utilize his wrestling but he really took very few shots. I don't know if he just thought he could beat him standing or if he was being cautious of the flying knee. Either way he didn't fight his fight. Thiago looked awesome with much improved takedown defense and once again displayed that he has the best leg kicks in MMA. I didn't think Thiago's conditioning would hold up but he never looked winded.

GSP and Alves or even BJ would be a really tough fights to call right now. I think the odds would favor GSP because I think he can take Alves down. He's also not going to stand in front of Alves and let him get off.

It could be a while before this fight materializes. GSP is already lined up to fight BJ and should he win that there's been a great deal of speculation that he would fight Anderson at a 180lb catch weight, although it's also been stated that Anderson would move up for a 205 fight.. I think it will depend upon what fantasy fight catches fire in the rumor mills. There will be a great deal of interest for both fights so it will be interesting to see what the majority of people want to see.

kopower
10/26/08 2:32:11AM
I guess I'm a bit suprised by everyone thinking GSP would run through Alves. I couldn't see GSP running through him. That said, I do think Gsp would win a decision against Alves. Thiago has looked great in his last few fights and I do think he could hold his own but Georges is a bit to well rounded and quick for Alves. UD for GSP
SpiderSilva
10/26/08 2:46:09AM
I thought his takedown defence looked good but Kos takedowns looked slow and teligraphed
Naturaldisaster
10/26/08 3:15:41AM
I've always like alves, and i think he will give GSP a good fight but in the end i think GSP will be able to take him down and Pound his way to a TKO stoppage.
fullerene
10/26/08 7:45:47AM
I think GSP takes him down and beats him easily once that happens.

But the takedown isn't guaranteed after what I saw Alves do to Koschek and Hughes and if it remains standing I think Alves wims, probably by KO.
Rush
10/26/08 9:09:36AM
Well, I see the x-factor really being how long can Alves go. He cuts a lot of weight (so I hear), but so does GSP. The difference is that we've seen GSP go 5 rounds intensely. Whereas Alves has hardly gone 3 rounds in the UFC and last night he brought the fight down to his pace. Another factor is the fact that GSP knows how to check a leg kick and probably has no fear of being taken down by Alves.

Josh was not setting his take downs up like GSP does. Most of them were in desperation after getting rocked. Josh made the mistake of duking it out with Alves (not the game plan I predicted) and he paid for it. The problem with Koscheck is that he does ok with stand up with a couple guys and then fights a better striker (like GSP, Alves or Joslin) and has trouble because he is too stubborn to come in with a realistic game plan. Maybe he learned his lesson last night.

GSP is a much more dynamic and well rounded fighter than Alves. Alves IMO has taken the role of Chuck Liddell in the WW division. Good TD defense and hard hits. All it will take is one or two well timed take downs and GSP will wear Alves out and get a sub. or TKO.
Rabi
10/26/08 9:51:35AM
I think it would be a great fight. I was impressed with Alves TD defence against Koshcheck. I reckon GSP would win but it would go 5 rds for a UD.

I hope Alves gets the winner of GSP v Penn.
Budgellism
10/26/08 12:54:33PM
I picked GSP by decision, but everyone saying GSP by murder or whatever isn't considering Thiago's improvement. I think Alves will give GSP more troubles then Fitch did, even though I'm a huge Fitch fan I still believe that.

This fight will be much closer than what people are saying. It should be a great, high paced fight. Look for GSP to try take downs and be unsuccessful for the first couple of rounds until he wears out Alves and then dominates on the ground on route to a decision victory.
jae_1833
10/26/08 1:27:08PM
I see GSP winning, however in a very good fight. Not running Thiago through. I think he would get the better of the exchanges due to his reach advantage and movement, but I see Thiago hitting with more power. I think it takes him a little while to actually score the takedown and Thiago suprising everyone with his defense, but it not lasting as exhaustion sits in. GSP's endurance will lead him to victory in the later rounds....either 4th-5th rounds or a straight up UD!
bojangalz
10/26/08 1:33:41PM
GSP by DEC. Like so many have said before me: I think the difference will be cardio. GSP is the shark in the deep waters. Alves has never even been off the boat. That said, I think Alves is the best test at 170 right now for GSP (excluding BJ). Ive been saying that since before the Hughes fight.

I think Alves would have enough takedown defense to keep it standing through three rounds. But I don't see his leg kicks being nearly as effective against GSP. So as the night wears on, GSP will still have that great shot. Unless Alves cardio is top notch (and it may very well be; but we've never seen it), I see GSP securing takedowns in the later rounds. But Alves ground defense is top-notch, so I don't think GSP's GnP would be enough for the TKO.

I think Alves could win a round or two. But ultimately the fight would be GSP's to lose.

I've been driving the Pitbull WarWagon for a long time now. I'm thrilled to see that so many others are finally ready to climb aboard.
Matimus
10/26/08 2:25:41PM
GSP rear naked choke
Aaronno9
10/26/08 2:30:36PM
gsp will take him into deep waters and alves will end up gassing and getting gnp'd out. GSP, imo, has the best wrestling in mma, and i dont think theirs anybody at 70 or 85 who could repetitavly stuff his takedowns. Plus his striking is constantly improving, and he will no better than anybody that he cant afford to get caught be alves or it could be night night, so he'll just uses his strikes to set up his shot and bull alves to the ground time and time again.
haggiswashere
10/26/08 3:25:58PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

It annoys me when you've been supporting a fighter for ages (in my case Alves) and suddenly after 1 win a load of people start rooting for him like they're his biggest fans

consider it a good thing buddy. you were right about an up and coming fighter. its better than everyone hating on him all the time.
Branwest
10/26/08 3:47:01PM
I got GSP, without a doubt. Obviously, anything can happen in an mma match, but I got GSP. His all-around game is better than Kos, in every way. His wrestling is better, his jits, his striking, etc. I think he could take Thiago down, whereas Kos had trouble. Alves does have good take-down defense, but GSP is too powerful in his takedowns, and his rate of take-down success is crazy good. I think he would stand for a little while and then take him down. I think he would work and eventually get good position, possible a mount, and win by (T)KO (GnP/ref stoppage) or possibly by submission. He's got to watch out for Thiago's powerful strikes though, and when he's shooting in he's got to watch out for those devastating knees Alves has.
handstrong
10/27/08 2:50:46PM

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

GSP wont fight Alves and Penn will probably beat Thiago but I see Thiago beating GSP no question from tonights fight and his progression the past year, even if you think GSP will win you have to admit hes championship material and has come into his own.

Why wouldn't GSP fight Alves? He might not get a chance with that pesky BJ Penn around, but he would definately fight him if given the chance.

I picked Alves in the fight last night, but did not expect him to win so dominantly. I thought Koscheck would be able to get him down at some point, but Alves was smart and took out his legs, nullifying the takedown. With that said, I think that GSP would not have much trouble with him. I'm not even gonna use that loss to Fitch as a reason, because that was over 2 years ago and Alves has greatly improved since then. I just know that GSP has the speed and power advantage, which are Alves's strengths, and takedowns and greatly superior ground game would trump over Alves hands. If Koscheck couldn't stop the takedowns, Alves sure as hell won't. I do think that Alves should be the next contender for sure though. too bad he has to wait so long now.

WAR GSP SUBMISSION OVER SILVA!
bls1919
10/28/08 6:47:56PM
I see GSP grinding out a UD or Alves taking it by TKO. Alves' TD defense looked great, and has huge power. I really hope they rethink this superfight with BJ. And have both guys stick to their respective weight classes.
copcopps
10/28/08 9:03:52PM
I'm picking Alves mainly because against Koscheck I don't think GSP could strike with him. But that's just me who's tired of GSP's invincibility

jocka
10/29/08 12:32:06PM

Posted by copcopps

I'm picking Alves mainly because against Koscheck I don't think GSP could strike with him. But that's just me who's tired of GSP's invincibility

Are you serious gsp is not invincible... Oh wait matt serra right lol.

I think that gsp would not shoot right away he will strike with alves for a while, time that leg kick grab the the leg take alves down and GnP him.

Alves is definitly the #1 contender but since gsp is fighting penn next, alves will probably end up taking another fight in the mean time. I would love to see Alves get a rematch against fitch.
Pages: [1] 2