With Win At UFC 91, Gonzaga Working For Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » With Win At UFC 91, Gonzaga Working For Title Shot
MMAcca
11/20/08 2:03:28PM
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight No. 1 contender Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga made short work of his UFC 91 opponent, Josh Hendricks, finishing the UFC newcomer by technical knockout in 61 seconds. Gonzaga hopes his recent back-to-back wins in the Octagon are the first steps on the journey back to another title shot.

"I'm here to do well, to get my title shot again," the Brazilian told MMAWeekly.com. "If you keep on winning, someday I'm going to have the opportunity again."

Gonzaga was highly regarded when he made his Octagon debut at UFC 56 three years ago on Nov. 19, 2005, knocking out Kevin Jordan with a superman punch. He finished Fabiano Scherner with strikes and submitted Carmelo Marrero in his next two performances in the cage. But it was his devastating knockout of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 70 that put Gonzaga on the MMA map.

LINK
Focker101
11/20/08 2:11:39PM
I believe Gonzaga could submit him

however I do think Gonzaga will break and look for a way out when he starts getting dominated early
Twenty20Dollars
11/20/08 3:16:29PM
I think gonzaga could get another title shot, I'd like to see Gonzaga vs Lesnar/Mir/Nogueria.
cmill21
11/20/08 3:41:30PM
Lol I'll be pissed if he gets it after beating two cans when Werdum didn't get one after beating GG and Vera.
Wolfenstein
11/20/08 4:02:28PM
I think Gabriel is too well rounded for Brock, and he's big enough to not get pushed around.The only way I could see Brock winning is if Gabriel were to gas.

Hopefully Gonzaga can get some better competition, but the problem is there are only a bunch of upstarts left in the division, and the loser of Mir and Nog are most likely to face Couture next.

The most likely matchup I think is Junior Dos Santos, which in a convoluted way may make up for Gabe's loss to Werdum, and it probably moves him the furthest up the ladder out of the remaining opponents.
MMAcca
11/20/08 4:05:51PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

The most likely matchup I think is Junior Dos Santos, which in a convoluted way may make up for Gabe's loss to Werdum, and it probably moves him the furthest up the ladder out of the remaining opponents.

That's a risky fight to take imo. It's kind of a no-win imo because Dos Santos doesn't have a name yet and he will likely knock GG out cold.
prozacnation1978
11/20/08 10:56:11PM
i see gonzaga getting loser of mir vs bog nog match next
kasual
11/30/08 11:25:24AM
I see Randy getting loser of the Nog / Mir tilt, especially if it's Nog (not bloody likely) but that would be a hall of fame match-up. Werdum was next in line for a shot against the champ, his departure and Gabe's recent success brings him right back into it.

Gonzaga vs. <The Winner of the Mini-Heavy Tournament> is my prediction. God help Brock if it's him, haha poor guy he'll probably be thinking he's in BJJ hell at that point. Probably waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat yelling "Defense, Defense!!".

I see Gabe as the best match-up for Lesnar anyways. Another super-sized heavyweight, dangerous submission background and great striking. Love Gabe's submission game, reminds me off the younger Little-Nog. Doesn't catch you in a submission he actively puts it on you. Nog is great but his style might be too passive for the match-up and Mir, well I only see Mir in this as a fluke for beating Brock at a point where the UFC heavyweight talent pool was at a low-ebb. An oversight I see getting corrected Dec. 27. It's just a shame he has been talking so much trash about the match-up on the show, going to be his hubris.
GraMMA
11/30/08 11:33:41AM
I think GG will get Kongo for the no 1 conender spot as long as Cheik beats Al-Turk which I think he will.It would be a great fight.
Aether
11/30/08 1:54:17PM

Posted by GraMMA

I think GG will get Kongo for the no 1 conender spot as long as Cheik beats Al-Turk which I think he will.It would be a great fight.

I think Kongo is going to lose and I'm surprised al-turk is such a heavy underdog. He's a good striker but the guy has easily the worst groundgame in the heavyweight division. Butterbean is literally better on the ground than Kongo... That is amazing. I think Al-Turk takes him down and subs him easily if he's smart.
mrsmiley
11/30/08 3:59:44PM
The only thing GG is lacking to become a champion is the heart.
It almost seems like he gives up if he takes a few shots.
Or if he throws his all at an opponent and their still their,he just kind of loses confidence.
He's got all the tools it takes to be a champion though.
higdon10
11/30/08 4:51:46PM
I think that he is a win away from a shot. He has beaten two cans since losing to Couture, make him fight at least a solid HW before he gets his title shot.
mk1630
11/30/08 5:58:26PM
I've always wanted to see Gonzaga vs. Big Nog anyways, so i hope somewhere down the line they get to fight.
Kracker_Jap
11/30/08 6:16:59PM
I think Gonzaga has a good chance at beating Brock
cmill21
11/30/08 8:23:17PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I think Gonzaga has a good chance at beating Brock

If Brock doesn't hit him, then GG will win. I have never seen anyone quit like Gabe, I don't question his heart because he fought not long after losing his child, but his toughness is not typical of the Brazilians we're used to.
Wolfenstein
12/1/08 4:48:26AM
I don't think it's nessecarilly that Gabe quits in fights, but he tends to run out of steam early. It's not because Gabe is out of shape, but rather that he throws everything 100%. Every punch and kick is thrown with everything behind it. You will also rarely see Gabe make half-hearted sub attempts. When he goes for a submssion, he really goes for it and cranks with some ridiculous "retard strength".

This is just Gabe's style. Either he's going to finish you early, or he's going to start struggling in the later rounds.
NatedawgThaM
12/1/08 12:35:56PM
I think he should fight 2 or 3 more fights and toughened up a bit because if he gets one now, Lesnar will maul him and hit him hard early and then we all know he'll cover up and just quit just like that. Give him 2 or 3 fights against some tough guys that can hit as hard as they can take and if he can take all of them out without crumbling then I think he should get a title shot.

I say give him Herring or Kongo.