Wiman got screwed

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Wiman got screwed
« Previous Page
Aether
4/19/09 5:20:36PM

Posted by fizzle

wiman lost, i picked him and i was bitter about it too cause im a Stout fan for a long time... reagurdless of who landed more meaningful shots Stout did more CONSISTANT damage throughout all three rounds and controlled the majority of that fight, I give Wiman the fisrt round but even though he surged at the end of round three i didn't think it was enough to award him the entire round. All around i though Stout won the fight and was not surprised by the UD one bit.

This is not how UFC fights are scored. By your own explanation you would have to have given the decision to Wiman based on the ten point must system. People don't get "half a round" or "not enough points to win the whole round".

Anyone who thought Wiman won round 1 essentially is saying he won the fight. round 2 is clearly stout's and round 3 was clearly Wiman's so whoever won round 1 must get the decision. I personally thought Wiman won, but I wasn't confident enough to call it a bad decision. I'll have to rewatch it, but I definitely thought Wiman was going to win the decision when I was watching it live.

-=EDIT=-
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the crowd's cheering has a significant impact on how judges score very close rounds in a fight. They almost always seem to go to the fighter the crowd is backing most heavily.

Anyone see the Chonan fight yet? I'd be interested to see if I agree with that decision or not.
pv3Hpv3p
4/20/09 10:32:22AM

Posted by Aether

-=EDIT=-
I'm becoming more and more convinced that the crowd's cheering has a significant impact on how judges score very close rounds in a fight. They almost always seem to go to the fighter the crowd is backing most heavily.

I was thinking the same thing kinda... except I guess the other way around... I thought that people, or anyone, who thought Wiman won that fight was just turned Biased by Goldberg's comments at the end of the 3rd round...

I think one of the things we're seeing in UFC judging, which I think is great, is there isn't as much stock put into a TD, especially when there is no damage being done once the fight hits the mat... IMO, I've always seen it as, if a fighter gets a TD and doesn't advance postition or land any evindent damage, there's really no reason to score the TD any more points than you'd give a guy standing up or reversing position once their on the ground...
Wolfenstein
4/20/09 12:04:31PM
I was surprised it was unanimous, since the first round was really close, while the second went to Stout and the third went to Wiman. I picked Wiman, but I would probably give the 1st and second to Stout because he landed more combinations.
FedortoAll
4/21/09 5:27:41PM
I agree with the thread starter, Wiman won the first and third, no clue how it was a UD for Stout.
Aaronyman
4/21/09 7:43:37PM
I thought it was a fair decision, but I could see why others would feel differently.. really good fight though.
GSPCanada
4/21/09 9:04:16PM
I personally thought stout won all 3 rounds, really wiman did not do anything in that final round he took his back but did nothing its like getting punded on for a roudn and almost getting a triangle, except stout wasnt really beating on em in the 3rd, really if wiman used some ground n pound from the back then i could have given him the 3rd, octagon control is like the tie breaker to damage, if tis equal damage then you look at octagon control, the one thing stout consistently did throughout the 3 rounds was damage, wiman lacked that. wiman has evolved a bit over the years but for the most part he is the same guy from tuf, takes ur back, and looks for the choke...if he can't get the choke he is done.
GSPCanada
4/21/09 9:05:51PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by fizzle

wiman lost, i picked him and i was bitter about it too cause im a Stout fan for a long time... reagurdless of who landed more meaningful shots Stout did more CONSISTANT damage throughout all three rounds and controlled the majority of that fight, I give Wiman the fisrt round but even though he surged at the end of round three i didn't think it was enough to award him the entire round. All around i though Stout won the fight and was not surprised by the UD one bit.

This is not how UFC fights are scored. By your own explanation you would have to have given the decision to Wiman based on the ten point must system. People don't get "half a round" or "not enough points to win the whole round".

Anyone who thought Wiman won round 1 essentially is saying he won the fight. round 2 is clearly stout's and round 3 was clearly Wiman's so whoever won round 1 must get the decision. I personally thought Wiman won, but I wasn't confident enough to call it a bad decision. I'll have to rewatch it, but I definitely thought Wiman was going to win the decision when I was watching it live.

-=EDIT=-

Anyone see the Chonan fight yet? I'd be interested to see if I agree with that decision or not.

that was a really really good fight that you could call either way, and clearly thats what happened with the judges, but i saw the fight on the internet and goldberg commented that he thought grant won it
Svartorm
4/25/09 2:36:42AM
I've seen the word "damage" thrown around a good 20 times in this thread. The 10 point must system doesn't take damage into account, just effective striking, i.e hard shots and combinations. Thats why they don't generally count leg kicks as much of anything, because you're not ending a fight with a leg kick (unless you're Pat Barry). This was part of why BJ Penn lost the split decision to GSP in their first fight, as while Penn busted GSPs nose and made him look like a mess, he didn't land that many decent shots.
mentalcase
4/25/09 5:33:35AM
like most guys here are saying including numerous mma site its clear wiman won the 1st and 3rd

terrible decision wiman did get screwed
hippysmacker
4/25/09 8:40:31AM
I think Stout won,and I think Wiman needs to cut his hair , so he can see.
Dragonscale
4/25/09 6:26:05PM

I think more importaintly than who won, that wyman needs to change his name from "Handsome" to "Cave Man"

'nuff said
HumanTarget
4/28/09 1:43:02PM

Posted by State_Champ

Dude, I don't what fight you were watching but Sam Stout kicked Wiman's ass, man.

What the **** are you smoking? Wiman CLEARLY ******* WON rounds 1 and 3.
Vincent_Vega
4/29/09 7:28:03AM
Wiman got screwed by his barber.
Pages: 1 [2]