Whos got the best chance to stop Cro Cop??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Whos got the best chance to stop Cro Cop??
Next Page »
POLL: Who will defeat Cro Cop
Andrei Arlovski 33% (25)
Tim Sylvia 16% (12)
Randy Couture 24% (18)
Chuck ( LHW) 16% (12)
Brandon Vera 11% (8)
hathcock32
2/12/07 5:19:44PM
??
Stickan
2/12/07 5:40:51PM
Tim Sylvia because of his reach and size. There's a lot of power and weight behind those arm punches.
Savy
2/12/07 5:42:21PM
Vera
richieb19
2/12/07 6:10:46PM
Andrei Arlovski
Tim Sylvia
Randy Couture
Chuck ( LHW)
Brandon Vera

I would have to go with AA, he may have a suspect chin and would most likely get KO'd, but he has the most agressive standup of them all, which is what you need to beat crocop, plus his right hand is lightning quick. Big Tim's legs are too easy a target for CroCop, Couture would fall short after a few failed takedown attempts, Liddell has a very bad style to match up against Mirko as he keeps his side completely open and his hands way too low, and Vera, well Vera would just get outclassed by a superior striker.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 7:15:37PM
Brandon Vera....

he's very quick on his feet .....He's a HW Anderson Silva....need i say more?
richieb19
2/12/07 7:33:18PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Brandon Vera....

Vera is a quality striker I agree, but his skills do not come anywhere near those of Anderson Silva...
madmarck
2/12/07 7:45:20PM
Umm. Let me think. Im gonna say the same guy that made GSP slip on his sweat in Texas.
But in reality. I cant see Vera surviving very long with Cro Cop. I think Chuck has the best chance. Although he might lose the fastest.
strikefirstgear
2/12/07 7:56:11PM
I have to say Sylvia. He's not my favorite by far but that size difference is a real advantage. I dont see anyone else stopping CC anytime soon.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 8:00:04PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Brandon Vera....

Vera is a quality striker I agree, but his skills do not come anywhere near those of Anderson Silva...

of course they dont...hes a HW...

take a look at Brandon Vera's highlight reel's..and tell me you dont see a little A. Silva in him

take a look at his last fight with Mir...i know Mir is not what he used to be(or is,but fighters are just better now.)..but take a look at how Brandon Moves in the cage..take a look at his footwork and striking...
Brandon Vera HL
We_Todd_Did
2/12/07 8:12:05PM
God...or maybe a certain coach Ditka...

Seriously though, I truly think that CC would have an easier time stopping a bigger guy (Sylvia) than someone like AA.With Tim, he'd be able to move around and pick his shots better, particularly leg kicks, which would land FAR faster than Big Tim's jabs.We all know the formula:he throws a bunch of leg kicks until (insert victim here) can't take 'em anymore and focuses on blocking them, then WHAM!LHK,good night.

I can really see AA giving him problems with his speed.AA has an excellent ability to move in and out of the pocket very quickly, probably has better foot speed than CC is used to dealing with outside of K-1, and actually has some really decent head movement.He'd be a far more difficult target on which to time those kicks correctly.Given, he'd have to work on his combos a little, because I don't think it'd take CC long to time some good shots when all AA is doing is "left jab, right...left jab, left jab, right" as he's been known to do.
modogg
2/12/07 8:45:14PM
it will be interesting if Randy wins because i don't know when we'll see Cro Cop vs. Sylvia. My bet is Chuck, that is why Chuck may take on Rampage in UFC 71. Nobody really left for Chuck at that point, and i would think they would really push Chuck vs. Cro Cop before Chuck gets too old.
gspfan31
2/12/07 8:56:25PM
vera but he is very inexperienced and will most likely go to showtime for the cash
shackle
2/12/07 10:09:09PM
Even though I'm not a huge tim fan...

damn give him a little respect to tim after he beat AA 2 times? (edit: i was talking about AA having more votes in then tim not anyones post)

People pick who they think looks cooler sometimes lol... AA with those trademark vampire teeth thats what it is! People on the net love to hate on Miletich fighters.

Don't beleave what you see on the net, and see on TV alot of the smack talking is just a part of the job. You help build up a fight you will get paid more. Just like tito with his smack talking. I'm sure (some) of these guys are great people.

/end rant

That being said.. I want the say vera... Just want to see him fight a top fighter though.
Manfred
2/13/07 12:59:07AM
I'd have to go with Fedor

But from your list, Tim because of his size. He could catch him too. But it's highly unlikely.

Tim fans think CC can't reach that high with the LHK. Just watch the Aleks fight. He's only 2'' shorter than Tim and he did it with ease.
We_Todd_Did
2/13/07 1:26:55AM

Posted by shackle

Even though I'm not a huge tim fan...

damn give him a little respect to tim after he beat AA 2 times?

People pick who they think looks cooler sometimes lol... AA with those trademark vampire teeth thats what it is! People on the net love to hate on Miletich fighters.

Don't beleave what you see on the net, and see on TV alot of the smack talking is just a part of the job. You help build up a fight you will get paid more. Just like tito with his smack talking. I'm sure (some) of these guys are great people.

/end rant

That being said.. I want the say vera... Just want to see him fight a top fighter though.

Aw,come on man.I think I listed enough objective reasons that included neither having a man-crush on AA nor Timmy hating.Never even said I liked/disliked either of em personally.Don't get so hung up on commonly made assumptions.
aceprone
2/13/07 1:31:10AM
I would like to see a match up cro cop and brandon. Two technicals fighters battling it out. And also think Kong might be a interesting match up too. Expecially if they stood there and traded with eachother. But the fighter with the best chance is probably Arvloski. His speed is ridiculous and has alot of power behind it. So everytime Cro Cop threw a kick I can see Arvloski countering by throwing his right hand that put away Buentello.
JunCTion
2/13/07 2:05:57AM

Posted by strikefirstgear

I have to say Sylvia. He's not my favorite by far but that size difference is a real advantage. I dont see anyone else stopping CC anytime soon.

i cant see silvia stopping him but i also dont think cc high left kick could reach tims head. so the fight might last the longest.
jmoooooo
2/13/07 2:35:57AM
tim has the best chance to grind out a decision, with his reach and jab if he stayed calm he could keep CC at a distance (using his jab effectively+staying calm=maybe)

very (if he was still with the ufc) has the best chance of finishing.....best combination of size/reach/striking ability/ground game out of anyone capable..not saying hes the best in any one area, but is good enough in all of them that he always has something to fall back on

chuck is too small

silva doesnt have the power

arlovski is too inconsistent, and has trouble with strikers

randy moved down from HW because he couldnt handle big fighters, and then couldnt handle chuck..so hes off the list entirely.
hathcock32
2/13/07 3:35:05AM
Vera Compared to Anderson Silva....haha yea..Vera's hasnt KO'd a champion in the first round...Hes fighting washed up Frank Mir. Arlovski KO Cro cop RD 1
jmoooooo
2/13/07 3:44:47AM

Posted by hathcock32

Vera Compared to Anderson Silva....haha yea..Vera's hasnt KO'd a champion in the first round...Hes fighting washed up Frank Mir. Arlovski KO Cro cop RD 1

Vera also hasnt been taken to the ground at will by a weak TUF fighter. whats your point? tank abbot KO'd a ton of people in the first round, does that make him a good fighter? does that give him a chance to beat cro cop? does that allow us to compare him to silva? what about butterbean? your arguement is incredibly flawed.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/13/07 3:52:42AM

Brandon Vera HL

click that link above and tell me he dont look like a HW Anderson Silva
hathcock32
2/13/07 4:01:09AM
Are you really comparing Anderson Silva to TAnk abbot...no doubt you know MMA my friend...they should ban you..Anderson had to f*ucked up knees thats why he struggled with his takedown defense!!!
Trapt1nw0nder
2/13/07 4:06:48AM
here is the frank mir/brandon vera fight....he looks much more like Anderson Silva here...ignore the fact that mir is not a top contender anymore..just look at his footwork..

Brandon Vera vs. Frank Mir

Trapt1nw0nder
2/13/07 4:10:23AM

Posted by hathcock32

Are you really comparing Anderson Silva to TAnk abbot...no doubt you know MMA my friend...they should ban you..Anderson had to f*ucked up knees thats why he struggled with his takedown defense!!!

and Lutter had a ****** up brain...and he still won the first round....and like i said before...if Silva was in so much pain why did he attempt a flying knee to lutters skull in the first round?

a knee pain you can ignore for 15 mins

anyways...
DoTheMMAth
2/13/07 4:28:11AM
I cast my vote for big Tim. Granted, I am not a fan of his, but he's very under-rated, has good recovery time, can take a beating, a nice long reach, very solid punching power, and has developed (what some would call highly annoying) survival skills. I still think that CC would chop-chop-chop the tree down with lots of leg kicks, then slip in the Croation WMD LHK (which would reach the 6' 8" head np) and win the fight, but the question is "who's got the best chance"
jmoooooo
2/13/07 5:05:10AM

Posted by hathcock32

i was pointing out the flaws in your simplistic logic. you said that we cant compare vera with silva because vera has never knocked out a champ in the first round. therefore, silva must be extremely similar to people who have knocked out champs in the first round, and since as little as 1 fight can seperate a champ from a contender, then anybody who has ever knocked anybody out in the first round could be compared to anderson silva.

if the only reason you can find that we cant compare vera and silva is that silva has knocked someone out in the first round, then there are many many very poor fighters that could be compared to silva. (datsik knocked arlovski out in the first round if i remember correctly........he must be as good as silva) again, flawed logic.

and please, continue to flame away.
hippysmacker
2/13/07 5:09:50AM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

God...or maybe a certain coach Ditka...

Seriously though, I truly think that CC would have an easier time stopping a bigger guy (Sylvia) than someone like AA.With Tim, he'd be able to move around and pick his shots better, particularly leg kicks, which would land FAR faster than Big Tim's jabs.We all know the formula:he throws a bunch of leg kicks until (insert victim here) can't take 'em anymore and focuses on blocking them, then WHAM!LHK,good night.

I can really see AA giving him problems with his speed.AA has an excellent ability to move in and out of the pocket very quickly, probably has better foot speed than CC is used to dealing with outside of K-1, and actually has some really decent head movement.He'd be a far more difficult target on which to time those kicks correctly.Given, he'd have to work on his combos a little, because I don't think it'd take CC long to time some good shots when all AA is doing is "left jab, right...left jab, left jab, right" as he's been known to do.

Is it a mini Ditka, or a fullsize Ditka? Props for the classic satiurday night live referance. I agree with AA's speed. I think he is the only HVY faster than Cro-cop. Both have avarage chin's IMO, so it could come down to who landed first. LHK or the big right. I'd say Cro-cop wins 70 of 100 at present, but AA would be smart to go to the ground here if ( if he could ), but that hasn't been his gameplan since he started thinking he was a kickboxer. Big Tim does have the reach and a better chin than both 2 me. He also has good power . I think Cro-cop chop's him down with leg kicks the majoriy of the time and then finshes with either a liver kick and a barage of punches or the LHK. I say Cro-cop also wins 70 out of 100 times. Randy has grea takedown's , good control on the ground, but has slowed. His best chance to me would be to press him against the cage, takedown, and go for the sub( which he rarely has). The Fedor fight was predominantly standing, but he did'nt have a cage to cut him off with. Cro-cop also didn't have as much room to manuever in the smaller ring, but I still think Cro-cop catches him coming in and finishes 85 out of 100. If Randy was younger and hadn't lost a step his style would actually match up the best to me, but Cro-cop's takedown defense is too good IMO. Vera is very well rounded like Arlovski is suppossed to be,( but rarely shows.) I think he lack's the speed to catch cro-cop and the strength and explosion to take him down. Too me he is a big LHVY who hasn't beat a top 10 HVY, and is the least deserving of this fight .Yes, he does have good footwork and is technically sound but lacks the speed/explosion to be a threat to someone of Cro-cops speed/skill level. I think cro-cop takes him 95 out of 100 also. Chuck has the best Chin and great power. Add the fact that he throws predominantly power punches and he could catch Cro-cop the most. However, despite the fact that he is a LHVY, I think both Cro-cop and Arlovski are faster than him. Also, Chuck would have to entirely change his gameplan( great chin or not) it wouldn't be too smart to just stand flatfooted( see 2nd Tito fight) right in front of Cro-cop. Leg kicks would murder him , but I think his camp would have him prepared. I think Cro-cop wins 65 out of 100 times . The most exciting to me would be AA/ Cro-cop just becauseof their speed. Certain people's styles/ skillset match up beter with him( Hunt in pride and yes I know Cro-cop beat him in k-1) but in a cage with all this room and 5 rounds I'd take Mirko against Hunt in a rematch.I think To sum it up Cro-cop is the favorite againt anybody in the UFC cage, except Fedor.
Stickan
2/13/07 6:58:05AM

Posted by hathcock32

i think he referred to his fighting style, not to his record !"¤#¤%!"#....
TheNatural
2/13/07 11:17:04AM
I know anything can happen in the ring but come on guys, anyone who knows a little bit of mma knows there is only 2 people in mma who can beat cro cop & guess what? neither are on the above list..........any guesses? the clue is cro cops entrance music into UFC67
uhlsc
2/13/07 11:23:48AM

Posted by jmoooooo

Posted by hathcock32

Vera also hasnt been taken to the ground at will by a weak TUF fighter. whats your point? tank abbot KO'd a ton of people in the first round, does that make him a good fighter? does that give him a chance to beat cro cop? does that allow us to compare him to silva? what about butterbean? your arguement is incredibly flawed.

explain to me why a blackbelt in BJJ would waste the energy to fight a takedown against a TUF fighter anderson didn't try to defend for two reasons 1. why waste the energy and 2. the real reason to sprawl and defend a takedown is if you believe your opponent poses a threat to you on the ground anderson clearly wasn't worried
Pages: [1] 2