White Says UFC 86 Paves The Way For 205 Future

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » White Says UFC 86 Paves The Way For 205 Future
Focker101
7/4/08 9:46:05AM
“The (light heavyweight division) is so stacked right now. What's going to happen in the light heavyweight division is going to depend on what happens Saturday night,” stated Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White on Thursday. “Obviously if Forrest Griffin wins the title, there's a ton of different things that could happen. If Rampage Jackson wins it, there's a ton of different things that could happen.

LINK
jgtribbett
7/4/08 9:48:09AM
i'm excited about 170 and 205. just stacked with talent.
Figsak
7/4/08 12:45:09PM
I prefer the smaller guys. 145/155

I like the fact that fighters rarely gas and keep up a furious pace much longer.
joshryanshepherd
7/4/08 2:32:59PM
I agree the 170 and 205 divisions are loaded.
finnish_line
7/4/08 3:38:52PM

I really like the 155 fights, but I wish more fighters in that division had K.O. power.

A few too many decision fights.
Figsak
7/4/08 8:39:36PM
Maybe, but would you rather watch a fight go to a decision after 3 rounds of fast paced fighting, OR 1 round of fast paced action, 1 round of sluggish punching and heavy breathing, and 1 round of them both laying on the mat holding eachother catching their breath.
RNC
7/5/08 2:59:00AM
205 is the most stacked division by far, and will be the most exciting to watch imo.
hodge
7/5/08 8:07:16AM
Forrest Griffin savior of the UFC
EliasG
7/6/08 2:54:53AM
I've never seen a champ robbed of his belt like that. In my book you WIN the championship and take it from the champion. I really like Forest but this was sad and painfully obvious. I had the rounds 1, 3, 4, and 5 for Rampage. I could even see a 10/10 round in 3 but effective striking going to Rampage gave it 10/9 for me. The judges scored it entirely differently with a unanimous going to Forest. It smelled bad to me. Real bad. I think Rampage won more fans by his post fight 'oh well' but truthfully that was not good.
This does allow Dana to set up forest with Chuck though.
Red-Dragon
7/6/08 6:15:14AM

Posted by EliasG

I've never seen a champ robbed of his belt like that. In my book you WIN the championship and take it from the champion. I really like Forest but this was sad and painfully obvious. I had the rounds 1, 3, 4, and 5 for Rampage. I could even see a 10/10 round in 3 but effective striking going to Rampage gave it 10/9 for me. The judges scored it entirely differently with a unanimous going to Forest. It smelled bad to me. Real bad. I think Rampage won more fans by his post fight 'oh well' but truthfully that was not good.

What fight were you watching?
Figsak
7/6/08 12:55:24PM

Posted by EliasG

I had Rampage winning 3 rounds, I agree with you about the challenger having the burden of TAKING the belt from the champ, and I lost that pick, but Grats to Forrest, he'll make a great champ.
mk1630
7/6/08 3:51:20PM
If I remember correct i had the 1st and 4th to Rampage and the 2nd 3rd and 5th to Forrest. And Forrest won the FIGHT. It does not matter if it was a decision, because the last time i checked, a decision was a way to win. If the CHAMPION cannot defeat the CHALLENGER definitively in 5 rounds, then he doesnt deserve the belt. You cannot take away from a win just because it didnt end in a KO or sub. Forrest deserves it for goin in and defeating one of the worlds best light-heavys.
EliasG
7/6/08 6:06:52PM
There is a difference between aggression and effective aggression. Most of Forest's strikes were slipped, blocked, or outright misses. When they did land they were not very powerful. Outside of Round 2's total domination by Forest I didn't have Grif winning any rounds.

It is a fairly well established precedent that the challenger has to definitively beat the challenger NOT the other way around. Rogan was definitely going nuts praising flurries of punches by Griff that on replay showed were misses.

I rewatched the fight and I have a sinking feeling that this was actually a set up. Rampage is about to take time off to do movies and I think this was a give away to Dana. Dana can put a guy with a fan base in and then he'll throw him up against Chuck. It's already a known fact that his main demographic is white males between the ages of 18-34 and they prefer white champs, but that's another topic. This made me feel more like I was watching WWE than fighting. It was too rigged.
Figsak
7/7/08 9:36:25AM

Posted by mk1630

If I remember correct i had the 1st and 4th to Rampage and the 2nd 3rd and 5th to Forrest. And Forrest won the FIGHT. It does not matter if it was a decision, because the last time i checked, a decision was a way to win. If the CHAMPION cannot defeat the CHALLENGER definitively in 5 rounds, then he doesnt deserve the belt. You cannot take away from a win just because it didnt end in a KO or sub. Forrest deserves it for goin in and defeating one of the worlds best light-heavys.

Listen to Elias

I'm not sayin you need to knock out a champ to win, I just mean tie goes to the runner.

For the non Americans here "tie goes to the runner" is an expression in baseball meaning if a base runner hits the base at the same time as the thrown ball, or even if it's REALLY close, the runner is safe. It's generally an established rule that the challenger has to soundly beat the champ to take his belt via decision.
Vote4Fedro
7/7/08 12:08:12PM

Posted by hodge

Funny, fighters like Forrest turn me away from MMA. I like fighters who finish fights. War Ken Flo.
mk1630
7/7/08 1:48:32PM

Posted by Vote4Fedro

Posted by hodge

Funny, fighters like Forrest turn me away from MMA. I like fighters who finish fights. War Ken Flo.

Yea, because its not a good fight unless it ends in a KO. Fisher/Stout 2 was a horrible fight, so was Sherk and your boy KenFlo. I never understood the reasoning behind only liking fights that end in subs or kos. You are crazy to think that some of the best fights only were finished. I would rather watch a good technical 3 round fight than a 20 second KO, but thats just me.