White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April
grappler0000
10/14/12 11:13:44AM
Not that either will be looking past the other, but at least Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez can be reasonably sure of their potential next assignment if they win in December.

The winner between heavyweight champion Dos Santos (15-1 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Velasquez (10-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) will face former No. 1 contender Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC), perhaps as early as March or April.

UFC President Dana White laid out the still very loose plan early Sunday following the post-event news conference for UFC 153, which took place in Rio de Janeiro.

"The winner of that fight will fight Overeem (in March or April)," White said...

Link
941_Florida_Boy
10/14/12 2:40:41PM
Fans used to be able to see 3 title defenses a year... Now we're lucky if every Champion defends his belt once a year...

not liking the wait!
tmas
10/14/12 3:10:52PM

Posted by 941_Florida_Boy

Fans used to be able to see 3 title defenses a year... Now we're lucky if every Champion defends his belt once a year...

not liking the wait!

tcunningham
10/14/12 6:10:03PM
i agree. about damn time. i have been impatiently waiting for overeem to comeback and fight again in the ufc. i know everybody is still pissed about him popping on the drug test, but with all his titles and everything he has accomplished as a fighter, its only natural for him to fight for the ufc HW belt.
frizzzlecake
10/14/12 8:30:00PM
Overeem should fight somone before he's given a title shot, I mean in March or April it will be over a year of being on the shelf.
landstander
10/14/12 8:55:29PM
Nothing like a title shot to shake off that ring rust. Good luck Overeem, you are going to need it.
941_Florida_Boy
10/14/12 11:11:46PM
Overeem has only beaten (in the UFC so far) an over-rated RETIRED WWE wrestler Brock Lesnar...

in my opinion, a win over Lesnar should NOT be automatic qualifier for a CHAMPIONSHIP match
fullerene
10/15/12 8:18:13AM
HW is not very deep right now. The only top guys that are new opponents for JDS would be Cormier (who is still under contract to Showtime/Strikeforce), Werdum (who lost recently to Overeem) and Overeem. In almost any scenario Overeem will be a better challenger than the other options out there.