White: Anthony Johnson a contender, but needs another fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » White: Anthony Johnson a contender, but needs another fight
FastKnockout
7/27/14 2:30:52AM
SAN JOSE – Anthony Johnson might have the UFC’s awe, but the 30-year-old fighter is not quite a title contender yet, according to UFC President Dana White.

Link
FastKnockout
7/27/14 2:31:22AM
Bader vs. OSP winner
State_Champ
7/27/14 7:41:42AM
Johnson vs Gustafsson, PLEASE.
prozacnation1978
7/27/14 7:46:44AM
No need to rush it since gus has next title shot
Goatenstein
7/27/14 8:35:30AM

Posted by State_Champ

The UFC really shouldn't be killing off legitimate contenders anymore. Better off giving each guy a fight with an enhancement talent as main events for Fight Pass cards.
State_Champ
7/27/14 9:19:14AM

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by State_Champ

The UFC really shouldn't be killing off legitimate contenders anymore. Better off giving each guy a fight with an enhancement talent as main events for Fight Pass cards.

Are you saying you don't want to see Gus vs Anthony?
UFC_Fanatic
7/27/14 10:21:10AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by State_Champ

I know I'd love to see that fight. That said, I agree with the match up mentioned above of St. Preux vs Bader winner. I believe I mentioned that fight as a possibility in the results thread too, along with Rua as possibility though I'm not sure if I see it happening.
emfleek
7/27/14 10:22:32AM
Weak division. Has to be the winner of Bader/OSP. Nothing else makes sense.
sbulldavid
7/27/14 10:43:13AM
Glover Texeira
JoeWarren33
7/27/14 10:59:52AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Glover Texeira

Agree with this. OSP/Bader is a step down for AJ. Think Glover is better overall and would put on a more entertaining show.
postman
7/27/14 11:43:04AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Glover Texeira

Yeah I'd say Glover. Too bad he trains with Rashad
isk
7/27/14 11:57:19AM
That KO last night was like watching Diego/Guida, only with much more accuracy and power. Brutal stuff.

I agree that Teixeira would be a great next opponent for Rumble, and that OSP or Bader would be a step down. OSP's talented but still developing, and Bader's overall around the same level as Phil Davis (less grapply, more punchy).

Would love to see Gus vs Rumble eventually, but I want to see Jones vs Gus 2 more. No need to rush it.
airkerma
7/27/14 12:28:42PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by State_Champ

Yes. No sense putting rumble against someone who is currently injured and next in line for a title shot. I'd like to see him ruin osp/bader and then a title eliminator bout. Why not glover vs Davis and then winner vs rumble, assuming glover wins?
emfleek
7/27/14 12:29:51PM
Glover/Rumble would be great but winners aren't typically matched up with someone coming off a loss.

I'd pay to see it though, for sure.
frizzzlecake
7/27/14 1:39:49PM
the more I think about it the more OSP/Bader winner make sense.

Not the fight I want, but the fight we need.
prozacnation1978
7/27/14 2:23:22PM
Have him face Bader vs osp winner on Fox card in Dec
tildengolfer
7/27/14 2:38:20PM
I like the Glover matchup, a great main event for a free card or comain for a ppv. But the reality of it is that Rumble is ATLEAST two fights away from a title shot. I see him finishing the next guy and getting a contender fight against someone, maybe Gusty after he's healed?
State_Champ
7/27/14 3:07:33PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Goatenstein

Posted by State_Champ

Yes. No sense putting rumble against someone who is currently injured and next in line for a title shot. I'd like to see him ruin osp/bader and then a title eliminator bout. Why not glover vs Davis and then winner vs rumble, assuming glover wins?

No reason not to give him Glover/Davis winner, but I'd still rather see Gus vs Rumble. Seems like a more fun fight to me.

The heart wants what it wants.
xdanish020
7/27/14 3:38:21PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Bader vs. OSP winner

First thing that came to my mind too, but maybe even a Gustafsson match up if he is healthy to go by the end of the year.
GDPofMPG
7/28/14 1:44:05PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Glover Texeira

This is the fight to make.
gearproboxing
7/29/14 3:14:22AM
Anthony Johnson still needs another fight to get into that (level),” White told MMAjunkie at the event’s press conference.
“When I got cut from the UFC, that was the day I was like, ‘I can’t do this any more. I’m making myself look like a fool.’ I was hurting my team, I was hurting my team, and I was hurting myself. Sooner or later, you’ve got to grow up and listen. I think along the two years I was away from the UFC, I grew up a little bit.
Source: mmajunkie