Whats next for Thiago Silva?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Whats next for Thiago Silva?
Aiden08
2/22/10 4:25:00AM
It's been almost 2 months since he fought Rashad Evans? Does anyone haved an answer?
topnotch6761
2/22/10 5:02:41AM
what else? hmmmm good question he should can go down to the middleweight division...he would do fairly well there he should fight wanderlai silva in that division. huh huh not bad :)
lohmann
2/22/10 5:18:37AM

Posted by topnotch6761

what else? hmmmm good question he should can go down to the middleweight division...he would do fairly well there he should fight wanderlai silva in that division. huh huh not bad :)

Why should he move down? His losses are to two of the four best light heavyweights in the world, and the one against Evans he had Evans in big trouble late.

I hope they throw him against the winner of Vera vs. Jones. Two interesting matchups are found there.
Aiden08
2/22/10 5:30:15AM

Posted by topnotch6761

i hope you were joking... first off like the guy above me said... his 2 losses were against the former LHW champs. And i really wouldnt consider his loss to Evans an MMA loss... Rashad was terrified of him and held him on the ground for the whole fight. its not like he got gounded and pounded. Rashad did even attempt a punch while he had him down the whole fight!!! and when Thiago pulled Rashad b*tch card to stand up and fight like a man. Rashad got b*tch slapped. Thiago is a force to be reckoned with and i think the winner between Jones vs. Vera would be great.

ps: Thiago and Wanderlai are best friends
prozacnation1978
2/22/10 10:33:33AM
i think winner of vera vs jones
or maybe ryan bader
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/22/10 12:47:21PM
Bader
sbulldavid
2/22/10 1:18:38PM
I think he'll take some time to heal properly. I think the Jones/Vera match will decide a lot of match-ups. I think if Jones wins he will fight Thiago Silva, I think Vera fights Bader next regardless if he wins or loses.
BeeR
2/22/10 2:08:46PM
the winner of Forest and little Nog
CwB
2/22/10 4:26:30PM
Kimbo HAHAHA...
Jride
2/22/10 7:59:04PM
Lil Nog

Thatd be a sick fight
Aiden08
2/22/10 8:48:56PM
I heard he was originally gonna face "Ace" Franklin... but now Couture is Fighting Rich instead. Then when Belfort got injured a it was concidered for Anderson Silva to fight him at LHW. But then they decided that A.Silva needed to defend his belt. I would really like to see him fight another striker/bjj expert, rather then another wrestler like Rashad Evans who will just lay on top of him again for 3 rounds...
chickmagnet
2/22/10 11:55:19PM
Ryan Bader would make sense. Both have recently beat Jardine, meaning they might be on the same level of competition. A fight between Bader and Silva would be important.
Aiden08
2/23/10 12:07:26AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Ryan Bader would make sense. Both have recently beat Jardine, meaning they might be on the same level of competition.

Ummm... The same level? Bader beat Jardine in 3 rounds, Silva beat Jardine in under 2 minutes...
DosBox
2/23/10 3:00:35PM

Posted by Aiden08

Posted by chickmagnet

Ryan Bader would make sense. Both have recently beat Jardine, meaning they might be on the same level of competition.

Ummm... The same level? Bader beat Jardine in 3 rounds, Silva beat Jardine in under 2 minutes...

He probably means that in relation to the UFC LHW division.

And also.... he said that they *might* be on the same level of competition. He bases this off of Thiago's and Bader's knockout of Keith Jardine.

Who was Thiago's best victory in the UFC? - Jardine (unless you want to argue Alexander from peoples beliefs at the time from that specific time - but currently most people would pretty much conclude it to be irrelevant).
Who was Bader's best victory in the UFC? - Jardine

As for this specific matchup.... I like this fight in terms of relevancy to the division, but after thinking about it I do not know if it really answers questions about the fighters.

I really base this on a few instances:

Thiago Silva if I remember correctly slowed down in terms of cardio as the fight went past the 1st round (Drwal and Evans fights).

Ryan Bader slowed down in terms of cardio as the fight went past the 1st round (Schafer, and slightly in the Jardine fight).

They both hit hard (although I would favor Thiago's standpoint because of more diversity), and both of their offensive ground games rely on working their top game.

Thiago had quite the trouble of defending Rashad's takedowns, likewise... Rashad had trouble holding Thiago down. With the wrestling of Bader, I would assume that Thiago would have trouble defending takedowns, and Bader having trouble holding Thiago down.

There are a lot of similarities between them, and I wouldnt think it would be wrong to think that they at least might be on the same level of competition.

Aiden08
2/23/10 9:36:19PM
I don't know if you know exactly what happened at UFC 108...
if you recall there was alot of bad karma and injuries surrounding this PPV. Alot of big name fights that were scheduled to happen never happened at all...

2 weeks prior to the fight Thiago suffered a very bad back injury (i know it had something to do with his outer ribs near the spine) he went to the UFC doctor and was told that it could get alot worse if he fought and would be extremely painful if he did fight with it, So when Thiago's manager came to the UFC about it they weren't happy. They already had to cancel many maincard fight and they weren't about to cancel the main event. So they pushed the fight onto Thiago and his manager told them it wouldn't be a very exciting fight concidering Thiago had to stop training camp when it came to anything real physical. So for the last few and most important weeks of his camp he couldn't train for Rashad's wrestling or any ground game at all....

I think for somebody to fight a top 5 LHW like Rashad at maybe %60 he did pretty well. Hell he almost won the fight in the ened just by playing mind games and exposing Rashads weakness which is his chin...

I personally think that these next 2 years Thiago will become and stay a top 3 LHW and be the title holder. The man has heart
Pookie
2/23/10 9:41:22PM

Posted by Aiden08

I don't know if you know exactly what happened at UFC 108...
if you recall there was alot of bad karma and injuries surrounding this PPV. Alot of big name fights that were scheduled to happen never happened at all...

2 weeks prior to the fight Thiago suffered a very bad back injury (i know it had something to do with his outer ribs near the spine) he went to the UFC doctor and was told that it could get alot worse if he fought and would be extremely painful if he did fight with it, So when Thiago's manager came to the UFC about it they weren't happy. They already had to cancel many maincard fight and they weren't about to cancel the main event. So they pushed the fight onto Thiago and his manager told them it wouldn't be a very exciting fight concidering Thiago had to stop training camp when it came to anything real physical. So for the last few and most important weeks of his camp he couldn't train for Rashad's wrestling or any ground game at all....

I think for somebody to fight a top 5 LHW like Rashad at maybe %60 he did pretty well. Hell he almost won the fight in the ened just by playing mind games and exposing Rashads weakness which is his chin...

I personally think that these next 2 years Thiago will become and stay a top 3 LHW and be the title holder. The man has heart

I remember hearing about that, however i would attribute his success at the end of that fight, having more to do with the fact that Rashad really isnt as good of a fighter as hes cracked up to be.

Thiago has potential, moreso than the rashads and forrests of the division for sure, but i think he wont be able to handle the counter punchers at the top of the heap.

Rampage, Machida, and Shogun all play his game better than him. None of them are leaving the top anytime soon.
Aiden08
2/23/10 10:00:21PM

I remember hearing about that, however i would attribute his success at the end of that fight, having more to do with the fact that Rashad really isnt as good of a fighter as hes cracked up to be.

Thiago has potential, moreso than the rashads and forrests of the division for sure, but i think he wont be able to handle the counter punchers at the top of the heap.

Rampage, Machida, and Shogun all play his game better than him. None of them are leaving the top anytime soon.

I agree with you. As of right now Thiago is Top 7 LHW... In 2 years when he gets some more fight under his belt and fight some more fighters like him. He will be one of the best.

I also agree with you about Rashad. Rashad is a leg humping wrestler who is waaaaaay to cocky and arrogant. He knocked out an out of shape chuck lidell and an over rated Forrest griffn. If you watch any of Rashads older fight even starting durin TUF 2. He's always had a glass chin. Just pay attention to any of his fights and whenever he we take a good shot he would start doing stupid taunt moves with his head or start running his mouth and grab his crotch to reassure himself that he's a man.

Rampage is going to anihilate him
Mayhem13
2/24/10 11:12:19AM
I will say Krystoff Sozynski or Brian Stann
NatedawgThaM
2/25/10 4:33:10PM
I don't know if I'd go as far in saying he'll be the next champ but he definitely has the potential to at the least be a solid contender. Always exciting too watch. I say give him Bader or Vera next definitely. Atleast somebody before he would face the winner of Forrest/Big Nog.
chickmagnet
2/25/10 5:20:10PM

Posted by Aiden08

Posted by chickmagnet

Same level of talent? Maybe not. But there positions in the division is close. Thats why I said there on the same level.

Plus I think Bader poses some problems for Thiago. Rashad took down Silva with ease. Baders wrestling is top level as well, and could give Thiago problems.

Not saying he would beat Thiago. Thiago's stand up is far above Baders but I think it would be a well contested fight.
Aiden08
2/25/10 7:11:20PM
yea i agree i do think Bader would be a great tune-up fight to face Lil Nog. Cause let's face it Forrest is gonna get destroyed by lil Nog.
BustedKnuckle
2/26/10 5:51:51PM
Well i wrote a very thought out post leading bader away from silva only to see that if either fighter wants a fight(without fighting a "stepdown") or waiting for the winners of Lil NOG/Forrest or Jones/Vera.