whats the point of rich moving to 205?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » whats the point of rich moving to 205?
TheHitmanTL
7/6/08 3:57:16PM
if silva is moving up there too !!

did anyone else notice this too?? the whole reason rich is moving up is to avoid a. silva but hes gonna be up there with him !! lol i dont get it...
dustyp
7/7/08 2:25:47AM
This was in a article last week "I've been at 185 (pounds) for several years," Franklin said in April. "I think that over the past couple years, I've really changed my body composition. It used to kill me to make weight, but now it's much easier than it was three years ago, and I think it's because my body's changed a lot. I just don't think I'm big enough to compete effectively as a light heavyweight anymore."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4693/rich-franklin-likely-to-return-at-ufc-88.mma

Rich moved down to 185 after his fight with ken to fight Evan Tanner for the belt. Then he had one of the sickest ko over Nate Quarry. Then he got banged up in the fight with Loiseau and you know the rest. So he may feel that a move to 205 will allow him to get his body back to where he wants it to be?????That could be why he would only move up for a fight or 2. Anyways Rich has had some personal issues with the sudden loss of his father for exp. and he still fought though it all. You got to respect that.
pdanke
7/7/08 2:35:18AM
185 needs Franklin, obviously, and it's unfortunate that he has those 2 losses against Silva..

UFC 86 (or Cote/Almeida, to be more specific) proved that there isn't a clear belt contender, and that means Silva can toy around with folks in higher weight classes until there is....
ICSlegend
7/7/08 2:47:49AM
More power?

Rich is the man. He'll put on good fights regardless of weight class, although 185 is pretty sparse at the moment, but I still believe he can beat Anderson (even if it's 3/10 or something like that, he "could" still win!).
sammyd1213
7/7/08 3:05:40AM
Hes gonna get owned by Hamill..
Purge
7/7/08 9:23:15AM
I honestly believe Hamill will rape him.
tberg420
7/7/08 1:17:40PM
The Hamill/Franklin fight should be interesting for two different reasons.

1.) Rich fighting again at 205. Will he be able to muscle around guys like he did in the Middleweight Division?

2.) Before Hamill was on the Ultimate Fighter, he trained with Franklin. I'm sure that since then both fighters are completely different but it does add something to the fight.

To answer the question of the post, I would believe that the point of Rich moving would be to see how he fairs outside of the "Anderson Silva" division. Since Franklin doesn't think that he can beat Silva, then he needs to try other avenues. I don't really see the harm in trying as outside of Hendo vs Franklin there really isn't an intriguing match up for him at 185.
DCRage
7/7/08 1:26:32PM

Posted by pdanke
UFC 86 (or Cote/Almeida, to be more specific) proved that there isn't a clear belt contender, and that means Silva can toy around with folks in higher weight classes until there is....

Yushin Okami.
MoJoy
7/7/08 1:31:41PM
This is awful matchup for Rich. Hamill can take a punch, that is an understatement. Gonna be like Hamill Bisbing, but this time the judges will get it right.
Vote4Fedro
7/7/08 2:32:56PM
I seriously thought it was a joke when it was first reported. Hammil by vicious lay and pray.
Purge
7/8/08 8:17:40AM

Posted by Vote4Fedro

I seriously thought it was a joke when it was first reported. Hammil by vicious lay and pray.

tell that to Tim Boetsch, his last victim.

Honestly Hamill may train with Ortiz, but his brutal style has more in common with a prime Couture.
randompunter
7/8/08 6:29:53PM
I think it makes sense for Franklin to go to 205 not many intresting match ups besides henderson hes already proven he can beat everyone else only problem is he wont beat any top 10 fighters. Id much rather see Franklin Hamill then franklin quarry 2
pdanke
7/8/08 7:17:52PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by pdanke

Yushin Okami.

Yeah, Okami's title shot is assumed, but I should have noted that...
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/8/08 10:13:02PM
the whole point is so he doesnt keep knocking off contenders to fight anderson. other then a fight with hendo (which can happend at 205) there is nothing left for him to accomplish at middleweight.
MoJoy
7/8/08 11:31:01PM
Completely wrong. He can fight Wandy and Dan at eitiher weight. Other good matchups. Jardine, and any non rangy LHW. I think the first ones mentioned would be great fights. But Franklin/Hamill nah, I hate what it does for whoever dont take it. Really really disagree with the matchup. They usually are totally on. Not with this sucker. FoSho.

EON
7/8/08 11:42:47PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of this move either, I still think he has a better shot at the belt at MW than LH
Pitbull09
7/8/08 11:43:47PM
Dude, there was a post about this and everyone had the same point. The division is so stacked that Franklin won't have to face Silva. He can get fights with Chuck. Wanderlei and Shogun.
Korsakov
7/9/08 3:58:50AM
he moved to 205 to get away from anderson silva
fonduktoe
7/9/08 4:05:07AM
joe silva just didn't want him to keep beating up potential contenders at middleweight
what's the point of a gatekeeper if it's just him and the title holder
not to mention some people fight better by going up a weight class
i see rich franklin being the chris lytle of the light heaveyweight division
prozacnation1978
7/9/08 9:16:22PM
here are two or three to give rich

rich vs nate marquadt, bisping, and hendo

or have wandy drop to fight silva and hendo

they have alot of options,

i don't think rich will have success at 205 silva might
but a lousy match rich vs hamill
hamill should fight bonner and rich fight marquadt or leites
telnights
7/9/08 11:21:34PM
If this is what Rich wants than so be it. Not my place to tell a fighter what weight class he needs to be in because Rich knows better than all of us. He may think the cut is hugely affecting his game. Rich is just huge for 185 and 205 may better suit his needs for now.