Whats next for Nate?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Whats next for Nate?
Afflicted
1/1/12 12:22:48PM
I was thinking maybe he could welcome Kenny Florian back to the light weight division, or maybe a rematch with Guida or Maynard, both fights were really really close decisions. Any other thoughts?
kingsmasher
1/1/12 12:29:42PM

Posted by Afflicted

I was thinking maybe he could welcome Kenny Florian back to the light weight division, or maybe a rematch with Guida or Maynard, both fights were really really close decisions. Any other thoughts?

I would say Guillard again
Twenty20Dollars
1/1/12 12:47:43PM
I don't want to see Guida or Maynard fight him again and them just try to grapple Diaz.

Guillard still has to face Jim Miller.

Florian would be a good fight.

Diaz was talking about a title shot, but I think he needs two more fights or at least one more, a no.1 contender fight. Not sure who they.

He is most likely going to have to face another grappler though.
sparky
1/1/12 12:51:09PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Afflicted

Id say Miller if/when he beats Guillard. There is no way Melvin deserves a shot at Diaz again!!
Rabi
1/1/12 1:21:25PM
Id like to see him fight Maynard, in there previous 2 fights, when Maynard grappled with him Diaz subbed him and in the fight Maynard won he done it with his striking, I think Maynard v Diaz II ( as there first fight was on TUF and not part of an official record) would make for a good fight). Diaz's boxing has looked awesome in his last 2 fights.
Kpro
1/1/12 1:23:30PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Afflicted

Man, talk about a huge step back after beating Gomi and Cerrone.

Already lost to Nate, among his 7 other submission losses, not to mention Melvin is coming off of a loss to a lower ranked fighter and Diaz is dominating better opponents.

I'd love to hear any reasoning at all behind why that matchup would make any sense.
Chael_Sonnen
1/1/12 1:37:31PM
Give him a wrestler......lets see how his CompuStrike numbers are then.
Rabi
1/1/12 1:44:15PM
I said to Jay that I wouldnt mind seeing him fight Volkmann!
Kpro
1/1/12 1:48:19PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Outlanded Stun Gun 81-34 and Maynard 77-52 and attempted more subs than either , and lost decisions to both, though he submitted Maynard in their first match. He'll still rock Compustrike, judges just give ability to control with no attempts to finish the round. Not like it's a surprise to anyone that judges reward wrestlers more than any other discipline, it's been going on for over a decade in spite of the ignored unified rules.
kopower
1/1/12 2:27:01PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

If he gets a wrestler, I'd like to see it be a 5 round fight. We'll see if somebody can grapple with him all 5 without getting subbed.

Budgellism
1/1/12 2:52:23PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

If he gets a wrestler, I'd like to see it be a 5 round fight. We'll see if somebody can grapple with him all 5 without getting subbed.

FastKnockout
1/1/12 3:55:24PM
Rematch with Maynard.
Pookie
1/1/12 6:34:05PM
I still feel as though he beat Dong, Guida, & Maynard.

I'm on board for a rematch fight.
State_Champ
1/1/12 6:46:47PM
I'd like to see Maynard/Diaz, Henderson/Diaz, Pettis/Diaz, Lauzon/ Diaz, Edgar/Diaz, Guillard/Diaz.... Nate has a style that makes exciting fights, and he's in the most exciting division (imo).

I think Nate Diaz vs the winner OR loser of Pettis/Lauzon makes sense to me.
State_Champ
1/1/12 6:52:34PM
How about Diaz vs the winner of Barboza/Etim?

...I just want to see DIaz/Barboza
dotaaddict
1/1/12 6:53:43PM
Diaz against Maynard or the winner of Guillard-Miller for the title shot!!
Patchedup15
1/3/12 4:22:26PM

Posted by State_Champ

How about Diaz vs the winner of Barboza/Etim?

...I just want to see DIaz/Barboza

I like this idea.. idk if it's my top choice, but it'd be a fresh match up. My other idea was Lauzon
FlashyG
1/3/12 6:39:21PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Outlanded Stun Gun 81-34 and Maynard 77-52 and attempted more subs than either , and lost decisions to both, though he submitted Maynard in their first match. He'll still rock Compustrike, judges just give ability to control with no attempts to finish the round. Not like it's a surprise to anyone that judges reward wrestlers more than any other discipline, it's been going on for over a decade in spite of the ignored unified rules.

In fairness his striking style is a lot like the equivalent of a wrestler with good top control's style. I don't think he's as interested in knocking someone out as he is scoring points with ridiculously accurate strikes.

Diaz's style is just much more fun to watch.

He looked awesome against Cowboy so I'd give him Maynard, Guida or the winner of Miller/Guillard. Henderson would have been a good scrap too, but I believe he's penciled in as the next challenger for Edgar.

prozacnation1978
1/3/12 6:58:08PM
My guess is against florian memorial day weekend
Wild card would be sherk!
mmadownanddirty
1/3/12 10:42:51PM
I am still in shock that he beat Cerrone even though I predicted it on my blog. I was an analyst for awhile and ran their stats - Nate only had a .3% advantage.

I don't think he deserves a title shot yet.

What do you guys think happened to cerrone in this fight - he had been looking so good lately?
Patchedup15
1/4/12 1:36:57AM

Posted by mmadownanddirty

I am still in shock that he beat Cerrone even though I predicted it on my blog. I was an analyst for awhile and ran their stats - Nate only had a .3% advantage.

I don't think he deserves a title shot yet.

What do you guys think happened to cerrone in this fight - he had been looking so good lately?

I think he just got outdone. He tried to stand and bang and Nate out did him.. you have to give credit for his amazing boxing as of late.
bigrand826
1/5/12 10:30:07AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Afflicted

Man, talk about a huge step back after beating Gomi and Cerrone.

Already lost to Nate, among his 7 other submission losses, not to mention Melvin is coming off of a loss to a lower ranked fighter and Diaz is dominating better opponents.

I'd love to hear any reasoning at all behind why that matchup would make any sense.

I like that fight. Reasoning it would be good? Guillard is set to face Miller, so Diaz-Guillard 2 assumes Guillard beats Miller (since UFC usually matches guys coming off of wins). Also, I think quite a few people think that Guillard's loss to Lauzon was a bit of a fluke. I realize the way Diaz beat Gomi was impressive, but a win over Gomi at this stage in his career doesn't do all that much for me. Yeah, Diaz beat Guillard before, but that was over 2 years ago. Plus both like to stand, so it would be an exciting fight.
KungFuMaster
1/5/12 2:44:27PM
Nate is one of those fighters who will always be plagued by wrestling and with that...I don't know if he will ever hold a ufc belt.

He and his brother are so close to greatness but are lacking one vital element and that is wrestling. They can train all they want in wrestling but their builds will dictate and limit their improvements. So close, yet so far away.

This sort of thing proves my point that many established fighters cannot make significant changes to drastically increase their skill set.